Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust gasket install

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 12:17 PM
semiret
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exhaust gasket install

I just got a set of Vance & Hines Power Duals and fishtail slip-ons over the weekend for my 2011 RoadKing as an early Christmas present from my better half.

Put in the order for my Power Vision module from Fuel Moto this morning.

Pretty stoked.

Since this will be my first time swapping exhaust, I searched this site for any tips and advise.

One of the things I searched for is whether I should use the flat exhaust gasket supplied by V&H or use the stock cone exhaust gaskets from HD.

Opinion seems to be evenly split, so I am leaning toward using the cone gaskets since they provide more sealing material that the flat ones.

Although I had heard that I would need to be very careful when installing the exhaust gaskets, none of the threads made any mention of difficulty in installing them (either cone or flat).

I found a u-tube video by Bob LaRosa (FixMyHog) where he used a 50mm wheel bearing race installer to install the cone gaskets without crushing them.

I do not have this tool.

So, my question:
-what method have you used to install stock cone exhaust gaskets.

Thank You

Old 12-01-2014, 12:21 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

Use the stock OEM HD ones 100% no brainer.

Throw them in the freezer for a couple of hours before installing. I used a small screw driver to press them in little by little.

Follow the torque sequence as well. Retorque after several heat cycles.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Very easy...no tools necessary...I put mine in the freezer overnight to shrink them slightly...cleaned up the seat with a Drexel tool and wire brush...pulled one at a time out of the freezer with lubricant...I actually used Kroil but the brand/type isn't critical...and just worked them into place gently and evenly with my fingers. Easy peasy. ..

Old 12-01-2014, 12:50 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

You can use a short piece of 1½" i.d. PVC pipe to press them in.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:34 PM
bosshog919
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Screaming Eagle gaskets..no problems!!!!!

Old 12-01-2014, 08:00 PM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 625 Posts

I used the ones from V&H cause thats what came with it.No problems & never have had a leak in 4 yrs.,but like you I was wondering the same thing.I didn't have any special tool to install.

Last edited by piper59; 12-01-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by semiret
...One of the things I searched for is whether I should use the flat exhaust gasket supplied by V&H or use the stock cone exhaust gaskets from HD.

Opinion seems to be evenly split, so I am leaning toward using the cone gaskets since they provide more sealing material that the flat ones...
It really depends on the pipe. If it has the coned-shaped flange, then use the cone-shaped gasket. The other way if not...

Just make certain all the old gasket material has been removed. Look very closely at the cylinder head as the old one may have come apart and left some material behind.

Then clean the surfaces real well. Some find freezing the new gasket helps while others don't. I usually use some grease to help slip in the new gasket making sure it goes it straight, square, and in the correct direction. It might be helpful to have an extra gasket just in case you damage the new one when installing.

Then torque per the recommended sequence and amount.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:48 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Trying to install those "cone shaped" gaskets is an effort in futility and frustration for no gain whatsoever. The Screamin Eagle gaskets are simple to install, don't leak and don't provide any restriction, which the stock ones do. The SE seal fine with about any pipe. I have V&H pipes and even though the end of the pipe is not totally square, as the edge is rounded, it seals perfectly.

But if you want to wrestle with those stock gaskets, go for it. Also remember that removing the old ones, which you will have to do regardless, is a bit of a job. I used a hook type tool to poke into them and pull them out.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:17 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

"You can use a short piece of 1½" i.d. PVC pipe to press them in."

Good idea, Thanks

Old 12-02-2014, 01:49 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Make sure you follow the torque sequence. I don't know if the instructions give you that info, but the HD Service Manual does. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Exhaust gasket install