Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who or what damaged your bike???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:01 AM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Scratches & Dents

My Electra Glide Classic is mostly scratched on the back of the Tour pack. I gracefully back out of my garage downhill, and never quite stop before hitting the neighbor's hedge.
I took the bike in for some warrantee work - the service rep just shook his head and said "I'll take digital pics and attach them to the service file".
I understood.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:17 AM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Probably about 200 miles on my 2014 RK, when I finally gave in a bought one of those universal HD helmet locks. Installing it on my engine guard...Lost control of the flat blade screw driver and it made a bee line for the rear portion of the front fender. Just a knick. Oh well I thought.

Ride another 6500 miles with no real incidents.

Wife finally decides to ride with me after much begging and pleading...(yes, i've got a thread about it)

While on a trip to the coast, she decides to ride. We go to Cycle gear for an impromptu helmet fitting and get some combat style boots for her to wear. We head out for a ride.

Several stops later and 140 miles, I notice she's getting better at getting on and off. I'm lauding her accomplishment of being able to keep from dragging me off the bike as she gets on and off.

On the last stop, I notice I can see her silhouette shadow in the sun cast on the pavement in front of me....What was that...What did I see? Yup, as she got off, she lifted her right foot off the right passenger foot board and between there and the ground, it made a stopover ON THE TOP OF MY NICE VIVID BLACK HARD SIDE SADDLE BAG.

I counted to 10 and politely asked her how many times she had done that during the ride. She said, "Every time I get off the bike".

I said, "Ok, uh...don't do that"

Now I've got twisting rotational scratches on the top of my saddle bag. Haven't taken the time to see if I can buff them out. I suspect so.

You know what?....If that was the only way she could get on and off, I'd be, ok, "Frickin' deal with it" "Let's ride!"

Old 12-16-2014, 02:50 AM
scootertex
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a 07 heritage bought used but very clean, low milage. I was giving it tha first complete cleaning with taking tha bags off and wind screen as well. All was going good until I removed tha screen and layed it on some cardboard as a buffer from tha concrete. Cleaning tha old residue off tha screen mounts, plexiglass was moving on tha cardboard and when finished tha clean up I notice dull scratches all over tha front of tha plexi. I looked at cardboard and see it has some sort of grit/sand that had blown in on it. Yep, perfectly clear windscreen now scratched all to hell. Tried all sorts of remedies to buff it out with only tha lightest of scratches coming out. Oh well, it didn't impare my vision but looked crappy and reminded me everytime I road how not to do it.

That plexi seems to scratch easy though. I'll try not to make that mistake with tha king

Old 12-16-2014, 01:27 PM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Remember...card board is made of paper...Paper is made of pulp...WOOD pulp that is. I think saw dust as a polishing compound might be suspect at best. (FWIW, that sux! I hate when I make a mistake like that.)

Old 12-16-2014, 09:18 PM
Pattrolling
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Try putting your boots on the coffee table and see what she will say... I

Old 12-16-2014, 10:22 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

My 2000 sporty doesn't have a scratch anywhere on the paint; go figure, the old one. The only one...

Old 12-16-2014, 11:14 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,342 Likes on 11,167 Posts

I had good luck with the local paintless dent removeal franchise. Don't remember their name. But they did a perfect job of removing the dent from the front fender that my 25' Stanley tape measure put in it as it fell from the step ladder that I was closing too near the bike. Left a small chip that I took care of with touch up paint.

Then again touch up paint to the rescue. My wife called me and said the TriGlide had drifted back against the garage door. She didn't notice it until she pushed the garage door opener and hear a bad noise and the door reversed. Seems I left it in Neutral without putting on the parking brake. 3 wheelers can roll if not in gear or the parking brake on.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:27 PM
RockyMountainIronHead
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Riding my Road King on a Rocky Mountain Highway, both twist pins back out of the left saddlebag from vibration, and my lack of checking. At 55 MPH, bag falls off bike and slides to a stop along the asphalt face down. 3 hours of prep work, a garage paint job, and a new set of Bruckus anti-theft lock pins later, I was back on the road in style. I cannot help but laugh. Glad no one ran over the damn thing on the highway! I was running with my hands waiving at oncoming traffic like a mad man!!