Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken tab

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:32 PM
jmn1960
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default broken tab

2005 ultra , the triangle mounting bracket for the starter has a tab up top where it supports the exhaust out of the rear head , the tab that goes under the exhaust clamp is broke. was gonna just spot weld it in place while on the bike , question is , is that gonna hurt any electrical componants by spot welding it there ,should I remove the battery , main fuse etc....

thanks mike

Old 12-15-2014, 08:04 PM
Tenn
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 53 Posts

disconnect battery cables, put your ground as close to the weld you can. When welding around any type of gas and such further precautions may be necessary. Process used to weld dictates also.

Pretty simple job just be safe.

Good luck

TN

Old 12-15-2014, 09:40 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Is that the little " L " piece. Part number 65619-98 that is like an $8 dollar item.
It breaks right at the bend..Make sure to check the rubber blocks that support the slip-ons also because if they are hard and binding then it locks the support system creates pressure for the entire support system.
Why not just remove it and weld off the bike thus avoiding any potential problem.
You could then weld it nice and neat and grind any extra off and could even high temp paint it.
Or just order the part from a local dealer for the $8.
double check the number on the ronnie harley davidson microfich

Old 12-16-2014, 05:34 PM
jmn1960
Road Master

Originally Posted by im
Is that the little " L " piece. Part number 65619-98 that is like an $8 dollar item.
It breaks right at the bend..Make sure to check the rubber blocks that support the slip-ons also because if they are hard and binding then it locks the support system creates pressure for the entire support system.
Why not just remove it and weld off the bike thus avoiding any potential problem.
You could then weld it nice and neat and grind any extra off and could even high temp paint it.
Or just order the part from a local dealer for the $8.
double check the number on the ronnie harley davidson microfich
yup just gonna pull it this weekend and weld it the local steeler does not have one ,, will it hurt to run it for the rest of the week ,30miles a day???

Old 12-17-2014, 03:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jmn1960
.....will it hurt to run it for the rest of the week ,30miles a day???
Well no, although it will be interesting to see if it survives. If you have the means of welding it the worst case is you have to take it off again. If so order a new one!

Old 12-17-2014, 05:24 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,249 Likes on 812 Posts

I don't think it's a critical piece myself. Mine was broken for who knows how long before I removed the exhaust and discovered it to be in two pieces.

I mail ordered a replacement and had it in a few days. Yea, I could weld it, but for me the few dollars for a new one offset the time and effort of digging out my welder.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:27 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

I doubt that it would hurt anything to run it the rest of the week while broken. I don't think I'd weld it in place, tho...concerned about spatter, but if it's only eight bucks, I think were it me, I'd replace rather than repair...and weld up the broken one next time I was welding on something else!

Old 12-17-2014, 08:41 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

8 bucks and somebody is gonna waste there time trying to weld it? What did you pay for the bike??? You'd pay more in electric bill to weld it then to just buy it new and forget about it.

Batman

Old 12-17-2014, 11:32 AM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I might have one of those. I'm getting ready to toss out a bunch of old exhaust parts. If you want it I can check and will send out no charge.

Rick

Old 12-17-2014, 12:26 PM
jmn1960
Road Master

Originally Posted by Egldr05
I might have one of those. I'm getting ready to toss out a bunch of old exhaust parts. If you want it I can check and will send out no charge.

Rick
yes I could use it, let me know if you have one , the steeler says they are b/o ten weeks
thanks

Quick Reply: broken tab