Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Likely Coming Back-Need Rush Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 12:20 PM
hdtucson
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Likely Coming Back-Need Rush Opinions

I go from Ultra to Goldwing and back. I do like both rides for touring, coast to coast type.

Likely getting a 2015 Limited soon, never had one. Seems most really like the Rushmore improvements and my last was a 2006 which I liked a lot. The changes since then has been substantial and though I like the Wings they have done little in years in upgrades.

My priorities are as follows

Biker comfort, too many war stories on the post 2006 bikes especially. Fryers on wheels, no thanks. I am aware of twin cooling of course. It must be substantially cooler than stock or I do not want to spend the money on headers.
Number 2, Reasonably quiet. Louder and lower than stock but not by much. The 500 mile days for several weeks requires this and I am not much for loud anyway. Just the sound quality.
Number three priority is hp/tq, like everyone. I would like a bump but mostly use power for passing on mountains. Now a wot guy. If I wanted to chase numbers I would keep the Wing or get a BMW etc.

I am looking at a Rush HO and 2inch louie's. Anyone have experience with this set up or first hand knowledge. I especially like this set up because it is not a very common set up as are the VH and Rineharts etc. As long as it meets my list and and is good quality.

I am also considering the VH PD and keeping the stock muffler as I have read on here some have and like it.

Thank you for the input and experience. I have read the forum and searched the forum.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

If the HO stands for High Outputs, those are Vance & Hines. I've had them, and they're great. I had them connected to Vance & Hines Power Duals. I now have Rush Big Louie's with the 2.5 baffle, and they sound almost identical. Nice deep throaty bagger sound, the way a Harley should sound. I did Big Louie slash-ups because I have nice stretched bags on my Limited Ultra, and I preferred the pipes to match the contour of the bags, rather than having the High Outputs sticking out the back. If you want quieter, go with Rush because you can change the size of the baffles. (The High Outputs might be louder than what you want.)The 2.5 is the loudest, and they go down to 1.75 I think, or maybe 1.5 which will be quieter. The thing that gave my bike "a little more guts" wasn't the Rush or High Outputs, but rather the Power Duals. I noticed the difference in the get-up-and-go as soon as I put them on.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:01 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

well, to address one question- noise.

have you looked at supertrapp disk system mufflers?

always at the top of power comparos, noise is easily controlled and adjusted by the rider.

the made by ST Screaming Eagle Fatshots can often be found as take offs.

the SE Nightsticks look similar and also made by ST but do not have a perforated baffle, so inferior in my view.

I have experience with the V&H PD's contacting hard- hard enough to relieve traction to the rear wheel.

lowered bike 1" F&R ( 2011 FLHTK), right hand 90º turn, with a dip in the middle of the turn.
This is the turn at the bottom of my street, taken hundreds of times on dozen or more bikes.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-18-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:43 PM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Buy a CVO limited and don't look back, maybe slipons, and windsheild if needed. you will not be disappointed.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:12 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Simply removing the cat converters, and leaving the rest of the stock exhaust alone, will give you a cooler running, better sounding, higher performing bike.

Adding an VIED will give you better throttle response, more torque and a even cooler running engine.

Cheap and effective.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:23 PM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
Simply removing the cat converters, and leaving the rest of the stock exhaust alone, will give you a cooler running, better sounding, higher performing bike.

Adding an VIED will give you better throttle response, more torque and a even cooler running engine.

Cheap and effective.
If you are planning on no other performance upgrades, this makes sense. If you don't know what you might do in the future this is a good place to start. It gets the bike cooler and cost little.

I put over 70K on my last wing and really enjoy the rider comfort on the "14 FLHTK that I now ride.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:49 PM
hdtucson
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to all replys
I was looking at the Rush header pipe I thought was also called the HO with the Big Louie's with 2inch baffles. Glad to hear you like the BL's

Like the ST and had them on my 2006 Ultra before they were as well known. I wanted to try something different though still considering them again also. I did not need the head pipe then though as the 2006 with a SERT ran much cooler of course. I was hoping the Rush with the collector would have similar gains as the PD without the clearance issue you mentioned, as well as not being on every other HD out there.

CVO, well that was off topic but I have been considering that route but not likely at this point. Money obviously is part of the reason for that among others. Really like the 2014 CVO Limited in that red combo.

Thanks and Paul and J9 for the less expensive route and I am considering that route but with just the head pipe and tuner, keeping the stock pipes. If I go that route I will likely go with the PD since there seems to be a common opinion on lb and tq gain. The cat would be gone and the stock pipes would keep it quiet. The only issue I have heard here and by some others is the clearance.

Thanks to all. Sounds like the BL slip ons and the VH/PD are liked by most who have them.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:07 AM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I also went with the V&H power duals on my 2011 Road Glide Ultra, had amazing exhaust tone, had supertrapps, PC-V and intake. then added the 54H and wow, thats when you get some sound(with cams). I used a set of adj Vied's from nightrider on my 14 Limited and they worked excellent and are a great alternative to a tuner if staying relatvely stock.
I would sell them if interested, send PM.
Thanks and good luck.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:09 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

If you are going to go to an aftermarket header - consider fuel moto's - it fits behind the stock heat shields so you know it won't hit the ground, and underneath it's the same design. Joe

Old 12-19-2014, 02:22 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

I'll say it since nobody else has... Go take one out for a test ride. The new rushmores are superior to the old harley that you had in the past. You wont regret it other then why you didnt get one sooner.

Batman

Quick Reply: Likely Coming Back-Need Rush Opinions