Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sturgis 2015

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 07:04 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,000 Likes on 21,322 Posts

If you've been to one, you've pretty much been to em' all.
Not that big of a deal really. Getting to be more hype $$$$$$$ all the time.
The older rallies were more exciting.

I live in Rapid City and will try to avoid it as much as possible.
Probably go up the Saturday before it actually starts do the vendor thing(maybe) and call it good after that and keep the bike home in the garage and continue to go work as always.

Of course it is nice to be in that vibe, experience seeing all of us getting older and riding trikes(yikes) (really).(not me) Yep fact of matter.

It seems it is more about the $$$$ now. Many of my older friends will not come out here anymore due to the commercialization aspect of it.
The spirit of it kind of got lost with the $$$ thing.
Too bad.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:56 AM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I left Full throttle two years ago and felt like they stuck a shop vac in each pocket to get the last bit of change out of me.

I don't think I'd head out there for the 75th without knowing I had a place to park. With the traffic it's hard enough to navigate a toy hauler without going from place to place hoping they have a spot. You can do that on off anniversary years, The Chip, Glenco, Katmandu almost always have room. One place that does not get a lot of chatter is Bear Butte Campground. Hiway 34 right across from The Chip and about a 1/2 mile off the road is huge and ALOT of shade. But I would call before heading out. The Sturgis Rally is not a place to be driving around in circles with a toy hauler.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:05 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
If you've been to one, you've pretty much been to em' all.
Not that big of a deal really. Getting to be more hype $$$$$$$ all the time.
The older rallies were more exciting.

I live in Rapid City and will try to avoid it as much as possible.
Probably go up the Saturday before it actually starts do the vendor thing(maybe) and call it good after that and keep the bike home in the garage and continue to go work as always.

Of course it is nice to be in that vibe, experience seeing all of us getting older and riding trikes(yikes) (really).(not me) Yep fact of matter.

It seems it is more about the $$$$ now. Many of my older friends will not come out here anymore due to the commercialization aspect of it.
The spirit of it kind of got lost with the $$$ thing.
Too bad.
I will ride that area some day, but not during the rally. Nothing about crowds appeals to me on any level.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:20 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

If i get the time, i am going the week prior, the ride there, riding around to the sites, and back home would be more appealing to me , then the crowds. More of a rider, then a crowd, traffic jam person, Good luck, and be safe if you get to go

Old 12-19-2014, 09:45 AM
thephatboy2003
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When we went, we got there on Wednesday before. There were alot of people and alot of buzz, but was a lot less then once the rally started. Was nice to do lots of riding with the feeling of the rally, but still being able to move. Got into the rally on Sat. nite and Sunday, and that was enough, and then back to riding. Did bout 1000 miles while there and had a great time. Definately better riding before the event started. Would do it again in a Heartbeat. One day We'll be back.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:54 AM
03 Fatboy
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

For the guys who stayed at the university could you take beer to the place or did they enforce the dry rule?

Old 12-19-2014, 03:21 PM
PackersShirt
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

"We are a dry campus, alcohol is not allowed. Please enjoy the spirited beverages off-campus. We are a non-smoking campus, buildings are smoke-free and smoking is allowed only in the parking lots. And even if your dog is a Harley-riding Cool Dude, we cannot accommodate him or her. Pets are not allowed in our residence halls."

Old 12-19-2014, 04:39 PM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We are going back this year after a few years away. We stay in Custer and I don't plan to go into Sturgis proper. Just too many people and problems there.
We enjoy the riding and scenery. We are riding out from MD and back. Getting into Custer mid week before the rally officially starts and leaving mid week of the rally. Custer has all that Sturgis offers just on a much smaller scale as far as vendors go.
We were able to get the last cabin available at a place called The Roost. They do have a few RV sites so it may be worth a call.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:04 PM
scoobs
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Duck
Would love to go to Sturgis this year, I know, 75th so it's going crazy. Was wondering if anyone knows if it possible to go last minute. Most places want full, non-refundable pmt. and I won't know if I can go till probably July. Would like to ride but will probably take the toy hauler. Not able to tent it for medical reasons.
Guess the big question is can you dry camp with the TH? If you don't "need" hookups you may have luck waiting that long as you may get in to a non hookup area of a campground. The link below is one example of a campground that has a large area for dry camping. It's just to the west of town on avalanche road.

http://www.campsturgis.com/ (eagles landing)

If you need hookups, you're probably pretty much going to be SOL if you wait that long.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:00 PM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried a couple of months ago and stuck out. Best I could find was one room in Wall for $400 a day. Can't afford that. My group decided to go up in July for a week. I got the rally experience in 2010 and won't really miss it this year. Riding will be better, obviously the crowds will be less. Looking forward to it.

David

Quick Reply: sturgis 2015