Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Atl Ga/Tombstone Az/Las Vegas/San Diego trip

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 02:29 PM
HDavidA
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Depending on the route into Vegas, I did the Oatman Topack Highway (RT 66) from Southern Cali into Az. Very cool ride.

I 2nd what was said about parking in vegas. We stayed at the tropicanna and the parking seemed very unsecure. The security guy recommended the valet lot as it has someone 24 hours. Went there and they wouldn't park or let me park the bike in there. Even with persuasion ($). Was a pain to secure the bike. Take off the quick detach parts and take into hotel.

Last edited by HDavidA; 12-21-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:14 PM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Just remember that it is easier to put in 11 hour days heading west. Plan accordingly for your return trip.

BTW I have ridden from Houston to Atlanta in a day. From Houston to Las Cruces, NM in a day, and from Las Cruces to Oceanside, CA in a day. Going West, to me, is easier.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:07 PM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you make it up to Yosemite let me know, I might be able to join up and take you on a couple of good roads around here

Old 12-21-2014, 08:42 AM
Simonizer
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a great trip, I am doing a coast to coast from San Diego this June, I am shipping my bike to San Diego then riding it back, through HOG you get some very fair prices for shipping. Just planing the route now. Probably will do 400-500 miles per day. Enjoy your trip.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by Simonizer
Sounds like a great trip, I am doing a coast to coast from San Diego this June, I am shipping my bike to San Diego then riding it back, through HOG you get some very fair prices for shipping. Just planing the route now. Probably will do 400-500 miles per day. Enjoy your trip.
I suggest you ship to Phoenix or Albuquerque, spend the two weeks riding the southwest and ship back. HOG and AMA use the same shipper - have them quote both prices.
You will be surprised how fast the hours slip by when you are riding someplace scenic. I laid out an easy 300 miles a day trip from CT to Ohio and it was still a series of 9-10 hour days, once you figure stopping for lunch and taking pictures and all.
IMO an epic trip like yours should not be spoiled by 'if only we had time for...' regrets. Spend the money and do it right!

Old 01-29-2015, 08:52 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,253 Likes on 8,517 Posts

I realize this is a month late and you probably have made your agenda. But never the less, I live in San Diego and I am very familiar with New Mexico, Colorado, and Arizona. I’ve also driven from San Diego to Atlanta, going through New Orleans. Here’s my recommendation for your consideration.
It’s ambitious, but you can do it in 14 days if you skip New Orleans. See New Orleans some other time since it’s not far from where you live in GA.

Day 1-2) Hwy 40 to Albuquerque NM and then to Santa Fe as fast as possible.1380 miles

Day 3) Santa Fe to Durango, CO. Hwy 285 to Alamosa, Hwy 160 to South Fork, Over Wolf Creek Pass to Pagosa Springs, to Durango. Beautiful 300 mile trip. R&R overnight in Durango.

Day 4) North on Hwy Colorado 550 Million Dollar Hwy over Molas Pass stopping in Silverton. Continue on over Red Mountain Pass to Ouray. Take your time to enjoy the scenery. Continue north on 550 to Hwy at Ridgway, CO. Head west on Hwy 62 & 145 south to Telluride. Continue south on Hwy 145 over Lizard Head Pass to Dolores and Cortez, CO.
Then Hwy 160 towards Kayenta, AZ to see Monument Valley. Absolute must see Monument Valley. That’s where John Ford and John Wayne made movies. Make the loop cutting off at Hwy 191 north to Hwy 163 south to Monument Valley, UT. Spent night in MV at either Goulding Lodge or the View Hotel. Make reservations well in advance. Sunset and sunrise are spectacular. If you can’t get a reservation in the Valley go to Kayenta. Hampton Inn is only decent hotel in Kayenta. You will need a reservation there as well. If no rooms there, then go on to Tuba City, AZ 360 miles with lots of stops for sightseeing.

Day 5) Hwy 160 to Tuba City. South on Hwy 89. 50 miles to Hwy 64 to Grand Canyon turnoff. Then to Grand Canyon. After seeing the Canyon head south to Hwy 40 Williams, AZ and west to Kingman. 330 miles. Give pbruce a call and he can ride up from Lake Havasu.

Day 6) From Kingman, AZ take Hwy 93 to Vegas crossing over Boulder Dam. If you have time take the guided tour through the Dam. You won't regret it. Then on to Vegas. 100 miles leaving time to see Boulder Dam and get into Vegas early.

Day 7) Vegas. What more can I say.
Day 8) Las Vegas to San Diego 330 miles.
Day 9 &10) San Diego. Take Gunner E up on his offer on trip to Julian for apple pie, etc. Great riding around our area including PCH. The Gaslamp area downtown is where the night life is. Trip over to Coronado is also a must. Pacific Beach is where all the beach bars are located.
Day 11) San Diego to Tombstone, AZ 500 miles. Look out for Arizona State HP. They love to ticket out-of-staters.
Day 12) Tombstone for the day. Then to Las Cruces, NM. Take Hwy 80 back up to Benson, AZ and take Hwy 10 east to Las Cruces. 250 miles.
Day 13&14) Las Cruces to Atlanta, GA. 1460 miles.
Have a great trip!!!

Old 01-30-2015, 05:36 AM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 71on72
I realize this is a month late and you probably have made your agenda. But never the less, I live in San Diego and I am very familiar with New Mexico, Colorado, and Arizona. I’ve also driven from San Diego to Atlanta, going through New Orleans. Here’s my recommendation for your consideration.
It’s ambitious, but you can do it in 14 days if you skip New Orleans. See New Orleans some other time since it’s not far from where you live in GA.

Day 1-2) Hwy 40 to Albuquerque NM and then to Santa Fe as fast as possible.1380 miles

Day 3) Santa Fe to Durango, CO. Hwy 285 to Alamosa, Hwy 160 to South Fork, Over Wolf Creek Pass to Pagosa Springs, to Durango. Beautiful 300 mile trip. R&R overnight in Durango.

Day 4) North on Hwy Colorado 550 Million Dollar Hwy over Molas Pass stopping in Silverton. Continue on over Red Mountain Pass to Ouray. Take your time to enjoy the scenery. Continue north on 550 to Hwy at Ridgway, CO. Head west on Hwy 62 & 145 south to Telluride. Continue south on Hwy 145 over Lizard Head Pass to Dolores and Cortez, CO.
Then Hwy 160 towards Kayenta, AZ to see Monument Valley. Absolute must see Monument Valley. That’s where John Ford and John Wayne made movies. Make the loop cutting off at Hwy 191 north to Hwy 163 south to Monument Valley, UT. Spent night in MV at either Goulding Lodge or the View Hotel. Make reservations well in advance. Sunset and sunrise are spectacular. If you can’t get a reservation in the Valley go to Kayenta. Hampton Inn is only decent hotel in Kayenta. You will need a reservation there as well. If no rooms there, then go on to Tuba City, AZ 360 miles with lots of stops for sightseeing.

Day 5) Hwy 160 to Tuba City. South on Hwy 89. 50 miles to Hwy 64 to Grand Canyon turnoff. Then to Grand Canyon. After seeing the Canyon head south to Hwy 40 Williams, AZ and west to Kingman. 330 miles. Give pbruce a call and he can ride up from Lake Havasu.

Day 6) From Kingman, AZ take Hwy 93 to Vegas crossing over Boulder Dam. If you have time take the guided tour through the Dam. You won't regret it. Then on to Vegas. 100 miles leaving time to see Boulder Dam and get into Vegas early.

Day 9 &10) San Diego. Take Gunner E up on his offer on trip to Julian for apple pie, etc. Great riding around our area including PCH. The Gaslamp area downtown is where the night life is. Trip over to Coronado is also a must. Pacific Beach is where all the beach bars are located.
Day 11) San Diego to Tombstone, AZ 500 miles. Look out for Arizona State HP. They love to ticket out-of-staters.
Day 12) Tombstone for the day. Then to Las Cruces, NM. Take Hwy 80 back up to Benson, AZ and take Hwy 10 east to Las Cruces. 250 miles.
Have a great trip!!!
Thank you so much for taking time to do this! Its very much appreciated! We do not have a agenda yet & this will help alot as a guide. We talk every day about this trip, were so excited & looking forward to it!
Thank You Again!!
Dwayne

Old 01-30-2015, 06:33 AM
Moma
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ship??????

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
I suggest you ship to Phoenix or Albuquerque, spend the two weeks riding the southwest and ship back. HOG and AMA use the same shipper - have them quote both prices.
You will be surprised how fast the hours slip by when you are riding someplace scenic. I laid out an easy 300 miles a day trip from CT to Ohio and it was still a series of 9-10 hour days, once you figure stopping for lunch and taking pictures and all.
IMO an epic trip like yours should not be spoiled by 'if only we had time for...' regrets. Spend the money and do it right!

The day I ship my 'touring' bike...you can know they are shipping me or my corpse too!!!! Jus'sayin'!!

Old 01-30-2015, 06:39 AM
Moma
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 71on72

Have a great trip!!!
This sounds good!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to do this, we will print it and refer back to it!! This effort to help wont be ignored!!!! Thanks again!!!!

Old 01-30-2015, 10:58 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
uh, Tombstone ( and much of Southern AZ) is not so scenic.
*meh*

I love Southern AZ in the Fall and Spring and I ride that part of the state regularly.

Tombstone is not one of my favorite places (too touristy), but the courthouse there is worth a visit. If you've never been, the OK Corral, Boot Hill, and shootout re-enactments are... interesting. When I was a kid, everything was free to see; now-a-day, it costs you to see Boot Hill (at least). If it is not something you get a chance to see every day though, you should do the above.

Better destinations in Southern AZ are: Bisbee, Patagonia, Sonoita and AZ wine country. I personally love the Willcox area, but that is a long story...

Quick Reply: Atl Ga/Tombstone Az/Las Vegas/San Diego trip