Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Atl Ga/Tombstone Az/Las Vegas/San Diego trip

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 07:40 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Atl Ga/Tombstone Az/Las Vegas/San Diego trip

Planning a cross country trip starting from North Ga to the west coast around San Diego. We plan to visit Tombstone Az., the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas & then the west coast. We would love to hear any suggestions of points of interest, beautiful routes ect. between destinations. We plan to be gone 2 weeks. Where are the places we jus gotta see while we're in the area???
Thanks!
Dwayne

Old 12-19-2014, 07:58 PM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

When do you want to do your ride..? Is is two weeks for the out and back..? How many miles are you looking at (to ride)..? Are the *musts* as you have listed..? What type of roadside assistance will you be carrying..?
Hotel every night, or camping.. ?

Old 12-19-2014, 08:06 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PTSDBob
When do you want to do your ride..? Is is two weeks for the out and back..? How many miles are you looking at (to ride)..? Are the *musts* as you have listed..? What type of roadside assistance will you be carrying..?
Hotel every night, or camping.. ?
We will be leaving when the weather warms up. Yep, two weeks total is all we can be off from our jobs at one time. We thought we would ride about 750 miles per day, further if needed. San Diego is not a must see as of now, we just wanna see the ocean on that side of th country. We will carry a monkey wrench and a pocket knife with us and hope fer th best! We wont be carrying any camp equipment, staying in hotels along the way.

Last edited by DHubbs; 12-19-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:42 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

uh, Tombstone ( and much of Southern AZ) is not so scenic.
But If you gotta gotta then go.
( if you run I10/20 across texas you'll be scenery starved)

and then backtrack up 191 and 180 and 191 again toward Monument valley

Northern AZ is unbelievable, there are some twisties and some long quiet stretches of 2 lane.

the 4 corners area is cool...Monument Valley is a must.
enter the big ditch from the East near Cameron, when you come out the other side at Williams run W on I40 to Seligman and pick up rt 66 to Kingman.

hwy93 runs you up to Hoover and Vegas ( Get your gas in kingman the places near chloride are a rip off)...some riders go to oatman..but they are mostly CA/NV riders hoping to loose the helmets for a little while.

Vegas is ...Vegas ( was working there the past year and a half).

some hotels have great MC parking, some do not.
along the strip are many homeless addicts looking for an easy target

i like the Platinum, all suite non gaming, non smoke with laundry and full kitchen in suite- I spent over 120 nights there this year.

looking at your schedule you may be stuck running alot of interstates ( yuck) but better than staying home.

heads up on riding in the desert climate hot or cool, always dry...except for monsoon season

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-20-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:12 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Tombstone..............be sure to see the Boot Hill Trading post and Trailer park for a t-shirt and the Circle K for gas, chips and a Dr. Pepper - not much else to see. (take a drive through via Google) If you get lost just ask the Border Patrol to point you back to I-10. LOL

Old 12-19-2014, 11:30 PM
Gunner E
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you make it out to San Diego, be sure to ride along Sunset Cliffs and La Jolla. Great views. Also be sure to make some time to get up to Julian, Ca (about an hour ride through the mountains) for some world famous apple pie. We're blessed with year-round riding out here. PM me, if you'd like, when you get out here and I'll show you around. Ride safely and enjoy your trip!
Cheers!
Rusty

Old 12-19-2014, 11:55 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There's tons to see in Tombstone if you enjoy the history of the town. I highly recommend the Tombstone Monument Guest Ranch to stay. Same prices as a motel but so much better and right in Tombstone. The Shootout at the OK Corral reenactments is hokey but historically accurate and fun. 750 miles in a day is a lot. Doesn't leave much time for sightseeing but it can be done.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:58 PM
saqib7500
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only two countries you will be visit?

Old 12-20-2014, 06:45 AM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If time permits -- take Hwy 1 at least up to Monterey.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:00 AM
aclass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At 750 miles/day, you'll only be seeing whatever it is from behind the windshield. I consider myself a pretty tough fellow but I cant do that for 14 days straight.

Sounds like a great trip though, good luck.

Quick Reply: Atl Ga/Tombstone Az/Las Vegas/San Diego trip