Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comfort for a tall guy-road king?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 10:10 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Ryan, once you get used to the boards you will forget about the brake.

On the shifters I like to adjust them so the rear one almost touches the board on upshift and the front one as low as I can get it, then you do not have to lift your foot to shift.

Been ridin like that for many years.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:30 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 621 Likes on 434 Posts

For highway pegs I use the 360* adjustable mounts from HD:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-peg-mount-kit

As far as the actual pegs go, there's so many choices...personal preference. I personally like the bigger ones.

With the 360* mounts on the engine guards, there's no end to figment options. I tried 3 or 4 different setups & positions till I found what's now perfect for me. I have them mounted so I can either rest my heel on the footboard & toes on the pegs, or fully stretch out with feet full forward & heels on the pegs.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:36 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 621 Likes on 434 Posts
Old 12-21-2014, 07:03 AM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am 6'3" with a 34 inch inseam. I wear size 13 shoes. I am comfortable with stock floor boards and foot controls in their original positions. My comfort was obtained with a change in handle bars, seat with back rest, and HD highway pegs. I agree with others advising to ride it for awhile before throwing money at it. Your body will tell you what you need to do.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:40 AM
pbruce
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Bligh
I am 6'3" with a 34 inch inseam. I wear size 13 shoes. I am comfortable with stock floor boards and foot controls in their original positions. My comfort was obtained with a change in handle bars, seat with back rest, and HD highway pegs. I agree with others advising to ride it for awhile before throwing money at it. Your body will tell you what you need to do.
I have to agree with most of this as well. I'm 6'3" with 34" inseam. I added 3" pullback bars and a Corbin Seat (I have both a dual touring and a solo) both with backrest on my 03 RK and they made a big difference. In addition to these I added highway pegs but I think the biggest difference in riding and stopping comfort came in replacing the stock brake pedal with a SoftBrake +1 lever which is so much more comfortable every time I come to a stop

Old 12-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

When you put the cop seat back on you won't need the extenders - I have a 32" inseam too, and that seat moved me up so that my feet weren't so far forward to make my legs comfortable. Moving the boards out did help though they do scrape now.

Start with a new seat and go from there, otherwise you'll be doing it all over when you get the new seat. Moving the stock handlebars up and down also helps but agreed, there are better choices.

Enjoy your new ride!

Old 12-21-2014, 10:55 AM
ryan9977
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks a lot guys I think I'm gonna add the cop seat back on and take it from there. Makes a lot of sense. I appreciate all the help. Now I just got to figure out what I need to get the seat back on

Old 12-21-2014, 11:18 AM
KnarleyHarley
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan9977
Thanks a lot guys I think I'm gonna add the cop seat back on and take it from there. Makes a lot of sense. I appreciate all the help. Now I just got to figure out what I need to get the seat back on

Hey ryan, I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam same as you on inseam and rode my bike for a few months stock but then realized I want to feel like I'm sitting "in" the bike not "on" it. So I was at a bike event and found a custom solo seat that is lower than stock by 2" and moved me back 2", and it's great!

Legs are now extended but I didn't like stock position of floorboards and shifter arm felt short so I just recently added a "softbrake" 2inch extended shifter arm and the Kury floorboard extenders which made a huge difference to me. I ride with my heels on boards and ball of foot on hwy pegs, it works for me.

I do plan on sending my 2up seat to Mean City Cycles so they can lower it, add memory foam and put me back 2"...Good luck with your choices!!

Old 12-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm 6' with 33" inseam. I found the stock Harley brake pedal just didn't feel right. I didn't like the idea of having to lift my foot off the boards to hit the brake. I also had the "unnatural" feeling of having to bring my foot back to hit the brake. I have added the Kuryakyn 1" out 1" forward board extenders and a +1 Softbrake.

The Softbrake lowers the angle of the brake pedal which also puts it in a more comfortable position for me. The +1 works great but with it's lower angle I could have used the standard version.

I probably could have lived without the Kury extenders however the 1" out helps get my knee away from the air cleaner and allows a little more leg movement on long trips. Even then, I will probably add a set of these to my next bike.

I also use the Harley 360 short highway peg mounts in a position that allows my heels to stay on the boards and toes on the pegs (my favorite riding position). With this setup I can just twist my foot on the heel from the highway peg to the lower Softbrake pedal. Kind of like going from the gas pedal to the brake pedal in a car.

Once adjusted both on the linkage and splines I have no issues with the shifters. Just make sure they do not touch the foot boards when shifting. The back shifter is just off the foot board and the front is up just enough to fit my boot under it for those times I'm having problems finding neutral. Normally I can hit neutral with a quick tap of my heel.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:32 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam. I've got the Kurykyn footboard extenders that move them 1" out and 1" forward. I've also got a Grasshopper backrest that's works well with the stock RK seat. The stock bars on the Rushmore RKs are the Heritage bars; I've got them inline with the forks. Riding is very comfortable. I'm not a big fan of highway pegs, as I like to just hang my feet off the front or sides. I do like the look of the banana boards, though...

Quick Reply: Comfort for a tall guy-road king?