Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comfort for a tall guy-road king?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 08:06 PM
ryan9977
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Comfort for a tall guy-road king?

Ok so I got myself a new ride finally...a 2012 road king police....I'm so excited...yesterday I got all my paperwork done so I own it outright and I'm ready to do some stuff to make it mine....I'm 6'4 and have a 32 inch inseam...size 14 shoes....I was thinking of course about longer brake and shifter pedals....highway pegs....and possibly longer floorboards.....I've read a lot of threads on here and everyone seems to have a different combination of what works for them...

The possibilities are the vtwin goodies floorboard extensions..they move the floorboards out one inch....I think I'd also like something that moves them forward....what's the most I can move them forward and can I use it in combination with the goodies extension?

I also found this. http://www.tallboyscycles.com which moves them forward and lower in the heel....would these work with the vtwin goodies and do u think I need both?

I also found extended levers from softbrake. https://www.softbrake.com/shop/produ...ondgroup=Brake.

I was also considering bananna boards from cycle smith

Ok so as far as highway pegs...I see a lot of guys recommending harley ones that are extra long but I have never seen a link for them....a lot of tall guys have recommended them but I have no idea which ones they are...anybody have a link to what guys are talking about?

Any thoughts on these ideas...I wanna try and get everything at once , bolt it all on and get ready for riding....I got some other mods planned as far as exhaust and apes but I wanna get the bike comfy before I do any of that....any links or help would be appreciated....ryan

Old 12-20-2014, 08:07 PM
ryan9977
Tourer

I forgot , I also would need recommendations for a longer shifter arm....ryan

Old 12-20-2014, 08:09 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

If you have a 32" inseam, I would definitely spend some time riding the stock bike before jumping into changes. You might just find out it fits you really well.

I have a 30" inseam, and I can put both feet flat on the ground with a stock RK, and ***** of both feet on the ground with a Police RK.

I think with 32" you're gonna be very comfortable.

Nice bike, btw!

Old 12-20-2014, 08:25 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

32-33" inseam here and stock everything is fine for me in the foot control department.

Keep in mind IF you extend or lower your footboards you may be much more prone to scraping in corners if you ride the bike in a spirited fashion.

Cop bikes come with Heritage bars or they did, are you still running the cop air seat ??

My combo is highway pegs, Corbin dual tour seat and stock everything else.

As said before ride it and get a feel for it and see how it suits you.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:25 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm 6-3" with a 34" inseam. I have a 2002 RKC which were notorious (as many RK's are) for having a terrible seat and poor handle bar positioning. Moving the floor boards out 3/4" helped a bit but I also added my modifications slowly after doing a bit of research here on the forum. It'll end up costing a bit more $$ if to change things too fast and conclude it wasn't the right thing to do.

Right now I have an aftermarket seat, handle bars, windshield, moved the floorboards...but the one thing that made the biggest difference is that I added a backrest. I think you're on the right path to making it 'your' bike...and good luck making it right.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:34 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 621 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
If you have a 32" inseam, I would definitely spend some time riding the stock bike before jumping into changes. You might just find out it fits you really well.

I have a 30" inseam, and I can put both feet flat on the ground with a stock RK, and ***** of both feet on the ground with a Police RK.

I think with 32" you're gonna be very comfortable.

Nice bike, btw!
I would have to agree with "hacker". At 6'4" with a 30" inseam your height
must be all in your torso. Legs may be just fine as is.

I'm 6'3" but with 34" inseam so my legs felt cramped. I used the Kuryakyn footboard extenders (1" out + 1" forward). I then added the HD extended foot boards (1" forward). I now have a total of 1" out + 2" further forward. Much better!!

Old 12-20-2014, 08:49 PM
ryan9977
Tourer

I don't have the cop seat...I was thinking of adding it back to get a little higher....my knees are over the sides of the tank now...I don't know what seat is on it now but it is friggin. Huge and ugly...I know it's a harley seat but it gotta go...it just looks bad to me....I would like a rider backrest also....

I guess I can just start with the pedal extensions and leave the floorboards alone for now and add hgwyegs to start....

Does anyone know hitch harley pegs all these tall guys are talking about?

Thanks For all the comments guys....I'm so excited....Ryan

P.s....I'll try and add some pics tomorrow...ryan

Old 12-20-2014, 09:16 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan9977
I don't have the cop seat...I was thinking of adding it back to get a little higher....my knees are over the sides of the tank now...I don't know what seat is on it now but it is friggin. Huge and ugly...I know it's a harley seat but it gotta go...it just looks bad to me....I would like a rider backrest also....

I guess I can just start with the pedal extensions and leave the floorboards alone for now and add hgwyegs to start....

Does anyone know hitch harley pegs all these tall guys are talking about?

Thanks For all the comments guys....I'm so excited....Ryan

P.s....I'll try and add some pics tomorrow...ryan

I use the pegs that clamp on the highway bars, the cheap ones from the dealer, no extensions or other stuff. this may change however as I added hard lowers and had to flip pegs to other side of bar and now my leg stretches straight out, not digging that.

Try your dealer for a demo seat and actually ride with them until you find something that fits better. It will at least give you a starting point for what might work rather than hucking money and parts hoping they work.

I get a lot of questions about my corbin and have swapped seats and gone for a ride with them so they can try it out.

I had considered extended brake pedal and shifters but once I adjusted the shifters to where I like them I forgot about doing anything, saved my $$ for gas.

If you are new to Touring bikes I would suggest just riding it and be thoughtful of each change you make. Seat changes affect handlebar feeling and so on.

Contrary to popular opinion buying the bike is not the down payment on accessories.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:25 PM
frazz
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cop seat

I put the cop seat back on mine and it seems like I sit a couple of inches higher than with the hammock seat that was on it. Knees are at about a 90 degree angle when sitting. And the cop seat is oh so comfortable

Old 12-20-2014, 09:29 PM
ryan9977
Tourer

Thanks for the thoughts...I think your right...I looked at some pics, I think it's an ultra seat right now on the bike....I'll try riding it like it is for now I guess...the brake pedal is just so close to my foot...I have to move my foot back and up and over the top of the pedal...kind of annoying....I've also never ridden with floorboards so I gotta get used to it....Ryan

Quick Reply: Comfort for a tall guy-road king?