Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sporty to road king

Old 12-21-2014, 07:51 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Your manhood will grow another 6 inches and women will flock to be with you! The upside is that the larger seat will be able to handle ya'll comfortably!

Old 12-21-2014, 08:17 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
........ i can't think of a downside
Originally Posted by crimson13
Me either
Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
Your manhood will grow another 6 inches and women will flock to be with you! The upside is that the larger seat will be able to handle ya'll comfortably!
All very accurate descriptions except the last guy may be stretching it a bit.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:31 AM
aclass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll wonder why on Earth didn't I do this sooner. After a 400 mile day, you'll be mad that you have to stop riding the RK where you want to stop riding the Sporty.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:44 AM
Vincewd
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

No downside , I ride both and spend most my time on the King. Even in town the RK handles better

Old 12-21-2014, 08:48 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 622 Likes on 452 Posts

Learn to be watchful for sand and gravel any place where you stop. Having a foot slide out from underneath you on a heavy bike can be hard to recover from. Pushing a tourer backwards up a hill is very demanding. Always park so you can use engine power to do the uphill part of "un-parking. If you park down hill, let gravity help you back in. If you park up hill, you can pull in frontwards and gravity will help you back out. The first time you fail to notice an incline, the experience of getting out will make you watch for that for ever more.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:04 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,491 Likes on 636 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
Learn to be watchful for sand and gravel any place where you stop. Having a foot slide out from underneath you on a heavy bike can be hard to recover from. Pushing a tourer backwards up a hill is very demanding. Always park so you can use engine power to do the uphill part of "un-parking. If you park down hill, let gravity help you back in. If you park up hill, you can pull in frontwards and gravity will help you back out. The first time you fail to notice an incline, the experience of getting out will make you watch for that for ever more.
Excellent advice!

I loved my 1200 but the RKC is a great bike in all aspects. Only downside I found was going from 49 mpg to 39 mpg, but I don't lose any sleep over it.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:18 AM
BlackMarshmallow
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been there, done that. I WISH I could have kept my Sporty. One day I'm going to get another one for a project.
Had the XL in Japan. Tall, narrow(er) easy to slip between cars in stopped traffic. Beat me to death on Texas highways when I got back to CONUS. Reluctantly traded to the RK which I disparagingly named "BlackMarshmallow" because it was like going from a rocket to a marshmallow! But others have already said, I can ride that marshmallow all day long and into the night.
If you don't already have it, get "Ride Like a Pro", there are some differences in handling and the exercises will help you work through them. I do them if I'm off for a few months due to travel etc. Cheers

Old 12-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Mikedude
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went from a Wide Glide to an Electra Glide and love it. I got on the bike for a test ride thinking it would be heavy and it wasn't. I can ride a lot longer in comfort and the only thing I had to deal with was moving it in my garage. I changed how I parked it to take care of that.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:50 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
heavier, slower, worse handling but much more comfortable and hauls a bunch of crap. Enjoy!!!
I agree.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:51 AM
garsam
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sporty = bar hopper. Road King = ride all day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sporty to road king