Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding without a leg

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 04:15 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts
Default riding without a leg

anyone on here riding without their left leg. i'm missing my left leg above the knee and wish to ride a two wheeler again if possible. need to know if you can shift it and how to hold the bike up or mods done to a streetglide to make it possible.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:23 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

There is videos if you look up ride of the century rides from St. Louis MO on you tube of a guy who rides with a prosthetic right leg from the knee down. Given he's on a much lighter Suzuki DRZ400 he still is able to use the rear brake and still does stunts on the bike...

I think with some determination, practice, and proper physical therapy with the leg on you can ride ad possibly shift. Another option would be some sort of hand shifter with a foot operated clutch pedal; that might be easier to work with. Best of luck!

Old 12-21-2014, 04:35 PM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior
Received 461 Likes on 128 Posts

Lots of options out there for staying upright. Try searching Leg Up
or Ghost Wheels

As for shifting, there are a number of hand operated air or electric shifters out there made just for you.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:41 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They make electric and air operated shifters.
However they are not cheap

Old 12-21-2014, 04:54 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

There is an article in the latest issue of 'Hot Bikes Baggers', I believe, having to do with Pingel shifters...you still have to be able to operate a clutch, however, but like others, this is not the first time somebody's considered this, and there are certainly answers out there...Good luck and please let us know how you land if you get it figured out.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:03 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

A friend of mine is riding a Honda VTX1800, similar to a Road King, with a left prosthetic. Has a heel and toe shifter. He seems to be doing ok with it. Told him he needs to get a handicapped plate for it just for giggles.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Low budget Dan
Road Master

Received 461 Likes on 233 Posts

i ran into a guy same situaton this summer missig left leg at the knee and on a street glide no mods , did use a heal toe shifter

Old 12-21-2014, 06:29 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
anyone on here riding without their left leg. i'm missing my left leg above the knee and wish to ride a two wheeler again if possible. need to know if you can shift it and how to hold the bike up or mods done to a streetglide to make it possible.
Baker has an automatic trans that will be released soon. Maybe they are looking for testers...

Old 12-21-2014, 06:40 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Best idea yet!

Old 12-21-2014, 06:53 PM
jayhawkclint
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Shifting shouldn't be too big a deal with the heel/toe shifter on a Street Glide since you're just pressing down. So long as you get your shifter sized and adjusted for your prosthetic, should be in business. I got caught in a storm before and was so cold my legs went so numb, had no dexterity or feeling at all. I was still able to shift and get myself out of the storm by flat footing the heel/toe shfiter. Will just take some practice not to stomp on it or else you'll damage it due to the leverage.

Quick Reply: riding without a leg