Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Street Glide 120R may I pick your brains, please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 07:21 AM
junglejoe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had no idea this was an option, or was it??

Old 01-01-2015, 10:37 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by sporacer
Lifters do fail but changing them like a oil filter is a waste of money. Lifters are designed to last the life of the engine. Id like to see the mention in the se catalog because its not in any of mine.
Go here, http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...d#/f935f2bd/48

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...d#/f935f2bd/50

Read footnote on page

7500 miles

Last edited by bigskyroadglide; 01-01-2015 at 12:57 PM. Reason: make link work
Old 01-01-2015, 10:41 AM
risuperglidecustomman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good luck with your new Monster 120R StreetGlide. Just curious how much was that new bike with the dealer installed 120R upgrade?

Old 01-01-2015, 11:09 AM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by risuperglidecustomman
Good luck with your new Monster 120R StreetGlide. Just curious how much was that new bike with the dealer installed 120R upgrade?
31k total; I also got all the take offs, the stock 103, clutch, pipes, EFI, air cleaner, some odds and ends. Brought those home just the other day. I know it's excessive $ but once I brought all that home, I started to feel like I've got my money's worth, sort of. Lol

There was also a smalllll scratch on the tank that they discovered the day of delivery; rather than have them replace the tank, I got the HD Detchables dock, sissy bar, back rest, and the Stealth rack, and a cover for the bike, for free.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:19 PM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyroadglide
I stand corrected... I still believe that there is a lot of money wasted on parts because of internet hype. My stock 120r went 2 years 30000 miles with no problems. The only reason why I replaced the lifters was because I was chasing a noise that turned out not being lifters when I converted to a 124.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:55 PM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I stand corrected... I still believe that there is a lot of money wasted on parts because of internet hype..
That's probably true... That's why I'm doing as much research as I can.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:17 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I did add roller rockers to my 120r when I first purchased it. I don't think that added to its longevity but it didn't hurt either. The one thing that I did notice was the top of the valve stems were showing wear at 30000. The triple factory spring pressures on the mva head are too high.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:03 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

I did add roller rockers to my 120r when I first purchased it. I don't think that added to its longevity but it didn't hurt either. The one thing that I did notice was the top of the valve stems were showing wear at 30000. The triple factory spring pressures on the mva head are too high.
Seat pressure of triple springs is excessive. What is expected on supercharged engines. Huge parasitic loss.

As noted above, mine were replaced with dual springs. 120R turns 7000 rpm with no bounce. Rev limiter is set 7200 but never yet hit it.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:11 PM
vic lovett
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Two Cents

I have a 120r crate engine installed in my 08 street glide. heres what i know. The dealer you work with needs to be experienced with them or careful enough to ask for knowledge from one that has more experience. My dealer has failed me in this way. First with stock pipes and Rinehart mufflers and the tune done for the break in I was getting 114 hp and 116 ft/lb. second tune was done after i enquired about different cams to bring peak numbers to a lower RPM range. I was told there was no other cam that would work for me.(strike 1), but pipes would help the engine true duals were ordered. The pipes were installed and the tune was done and I left quickly as it was closing time when the job was done. The pipes sounded great, but, What happened to the power??? It was missing its right nut. when i enquired about this the manager said that they thought i wanted it detuned because of my cam inquiry…are you kidding me??? reinstall that nut and give it all its got…WTF??(strike 2) After all of this I'm only getting about 111hp an 112ft/lb. Im very not impressed with knowledge of the product they sell and service. the third strike comes shortly after when I go back with a issue I've never had before. the problem was simple and most likely a result of their mechanic. It so happens that after I explained what I was experiencing and not going for the program of "lets go do some costly fishing at my expense" it was discovered that my drive belt was wasted. Must have been loose to get eaten up that way, but I paid the price and had a new belt and both pulleys replaced.
is that all you may be wondering. No its not, there is a strike 2.5 in here and ill explain. Id asked about the cables that would allow me to use the hd program for my SE Pro tuner and was informed there was none and that was only for the street tuner version. Wrong again. Somehow the service dept and I have gotten on a different page. Im correcting some Other Issues they have so kindly installed for me (at no extra charge), Then Im gonna go back down there and see if they value my business or not, because Im finding that my valuation of time and money and theirs are Far apart. I do expect to get what I pay for and I have not yet got there. be careful when conversing with your service people so that there is no room for misinterpretation.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:45 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Youre going to be hard pressed to find a highly skilled wrench at a dealer, they only know what theyre taught and thats not much. The. They talk down to you how they know everything. Case in point, I had a dealer measure my run out with a DI mounted to my frame with a snake arm and vice grips, turn the rear wheel to bar the engine over and tell me my runout was .004.
I would venture to guess your belt will be a frequent replacement project, especially if you keep dyno'ing it.

Quick Reply: 2014 Street Glide 120R may I pick your brains, please?