Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Street Glide 120R may I pick your brains, please?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 08:22 PM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 2014 Street Glide 120R may I pick your brains, please?

I just bought a new 2014 Street Glide with a 120R, took delivery last week. Naturally, it started snowing the day of delivery... and has since snowed again, so I have not been able to start riding it.. Instead Ive been soaking up all the information I can find on this motor.

There is one problem: the vast majority of info I can find via searches here are posts that are several years old, circa 2010-2012, and they are very scattered. They do offer a wealth of information, but Id be much more liable to pay attention and give more credence to related topics that are more recent.

With that in mind, Id like to ask for your advice and tips and experiences with the 120R during the first 1,000 miles, not necessarily on a Touring bike. I have concerns about the break in, and Im also very interested in learning as much as I can about the horse Im about to ride. Of course Id love to hear any advice you have for after that period, as well.

I am not a new rider, Im not new to hands-on mechanical, nor new to Harleys; however, this IS my first touring bike and my first experience with anything over 96", with EFI, and everything relating to 120R. Its a dream come true and I worked my *** off for it.

Id appreciate any advice, tips, etc you might feel inclined to share here. Id love to see as much as possible in one place, so I thought I would post this.

Thanks!

B.

Last edited by Onedef1; 12-30-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:27 PM
RMI_135
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I don't have anything to add, but congrats on the new ride. Bet it's a beauty.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:44 PM
Onedef1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RMI_135
Man I don't have anything to add, but congrats on the new ride. Bet it's a beauty.
Yes sir, it is! Not being able to ride it yet is infuriating!!! However I'm actually ALMOST perfectly content to sit here and stare at it. Lol

Old 12-30-2014, 08:54 PM
abidzip
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We don't know what combo you have other the motor but I have a 13 street glide with a 120R. make sure you do a dyno from a good tuner and have the right exhaust on that bike, I have the D&D boarzilla, choose what works for you. Careful with takeoff, you will break the belt if your not careful and it's not cheap to replace. Another thing to be concerned about is compensator, you will be replacing it, guaranteed. Mine lasted 5800 miles and I upgraded to the new 2014 version other advise a different route. If you don't beat it and play with it from time to time she will last a long time. Break it in like any other new motorcycle, have fun and be safe!

Last edited by abidzip; 12-30-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:08 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by abidzip
We don't know what combo you have other the motor but I have a 13 street glide with a 120R. make sure you do a dyno from a good tuner and have the right exhaust on that bike, I have the D&D boarzilla, choose what works for you. Careful with takeoff, you will break the belt if your not careful and it's not cheap to replace. Another thing to be concerned about is compensator, you will be replacing it, guaranteed. Mine lasted 5800 miles and I upgraded to the new 2014 version other advise a different route. If you don't beat it and play with it from time to time she will last a long time. Break it in like any other new motorcycle, have fun and be safe!
I don't know about what he said.....ride like you want to keep it. (about breaking the belt on take off....who the F' does that?) We were talking break in, right? I have heard about
changing oil early...but if it came with an owners manual....follow it.
Have the right exhaust for the bike? Now we have a WHOLE nuther post...

Chuck

Old 12-30-2014, 09:15 PM
Onedef1
Road Captain

I dont know about "Right", but thats a Vance & Hines exhaust upgrade that they did as well... Its the Stainless High Output Duals. i would hope its sufficient...

However, YES I am extremely keen on learning exactly what it is that Ive got here, Im checking cams, lifters, etc, and trying to learn exactly what it is I need to be aware of. I know the 120R is stock, but I havent been able to locate all the specs... sure, someone has told me 3 times already and Ive forgotten every time... go figure.

As far as the Dyno, a rough tune has been completed, Im due for another (Free) once I have 1,000 miles on it.

Im supposed to keep the RPMs varied and under 4-5,000; I cant use 6th gear, and I cant use the Cruise Control. Thats my instructions from the dealer.

Last edited by Onedef1; 12-30-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:23 PM
Davidson Harley
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

for what its worth an OLD OLD Harley wrench told me once you wana break one in by riding her like a baby for 100 miles then ridin her like a bitch for 100 miles--said to do this in the first 1000 miles. Did not give me a reason for this. I do know he had two bikes with well over 100K on em. No he did not own a 120R. Matter a fact I have never owned a brand spankin new one---real nice ride man!

Old 12-31-2014, 05:50 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a 120r in stock form for 30000 miles. If the dealer dyno tuned it the critical break in should have been done already. Just ride it and enjoy.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:30 AM
Deadstroke
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Onedef1
I dont know about "Right", but thats a Vance & Hines exhaust upgrade that they did as well... Its the Stainless High Output Duals. i would hope its sufficient...

However, YES I am extremely keen on learning exactly what it is that Ive got here, Im checking cams, lifters, etc, and trying to learn exactly what it is I need to be aware of. I know the 120R is stock, but I havent been able to locate all the specs... sure, someone has told me 3 times already and Ive forgotten every time... go figure.

As far as the Dyno, a rough tune has been completed, Im due for another (Free) once I have 1,000 miles on it.

Im supposed to keep the RPMs varied and under 4-5,000; I cant use 6th gear, and I cant use the Cruise Control. Thats my instructions from the dealer.
The dealer didnt tune it what they do is load their stock 120r map run it 2 - 3 times tweak it and get the numbers and thats it.. No dealer would ever dyno my bike Ill seen the crap tunes that come out of them way too often. Also you should do it at 1500 miles. IMO 1000 miles is too soon. Also harley does not break in any of their motors and they break in process I dont agree with this is what we tell people when we send a new motor out.

0 - 100 miles - Baby it and keep it under 3500 Rpms get it hot and fluctate the rpms regulars dont stay at rpm number for a extended period

100 - 200 - You can started to be agressive but still keep the rpms moving

200 - 400 - Now keep it under 4200 rpms still vary them but dont worry about it so much,

400 - 500 - Ride it like you own it at this point dont use cruise

500 miles - At this point we bring bikes back in to lean them out a little because break in tune should be a little rich. We also change all the fluids and look for excess of metal.

500 -1500 - Just ride it, fast slow whatever I still advise using cruise to a minium.

1500 - Last fluid change - Final Dyno

Remember too it is important to get the motor hot in the early stages some people break in with short trips motor doesnt get up to temp and they are not helping themselves any.

Some of this is overkill but we get the best results at 1500 or more for the final dyno, we do alot less tweaking when customer brings it in for a check up. Also if the customer bought auto tune we let the autotune do its job at 1000-1500 as well only becuause nothing beats real world driving.

25 motors last year from rebuilds to 124" not a single issue with our breakin..

Anyway thats my 2 cents Good luck with your new ride and enjoy it

Old 12-31-2014, 09:20 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I've toured with my 120R all over the country, put 6800 miles on with in the first two months of having it installed. Is yours a 120R build or the crate engine? Mine is the crate and after reading all the bad reviews of the lifters in the crate I still ran them. One of the lifters finally let go last summer tearing up my cams/ cam plate and oil pump. If you do a search on google of 120R lifter failures you might find you want to switch out the SE lifters with a more reliable brand? I'm using the S&S now, so we'll see how long they last.

Quick Reply: 2014 Street Glide 120R may I pick your brains, please?