Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adjusting passing lights??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 02:48 PM
corgi
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting passing lights??

I checked the maintaince forum and didn't see anything on this. I check the manual as well. I have one passing lamp where the light is higher than the other passing light. How does this get adjusted downward? is it the same as the headlight with the screw adjustment? Just thought I'd ask before taking things apart.
thanks in advance

Old 04-16-2007, 03:18 PM
nuklhd
Advanced
Default RE: adjusting passing lights??

Corgi,

I just adjusted mine and it is in the HD service manual. You have to remove the two allan head screws trhat go through the bracket holding the blinker on, remove the lead wire up into the passing light so you can get a deepwell socket up in there to loosen the nut so you can wobble around the passing light and re-tighten the nut etc., etc.

It was kind of a pain to do but if it needs done...

Mike

Old 04-16-2007, 03:43 PM
SLORider
Road Captain

It's a 9/16 socket and since there is a wire in the center of the bolt you need to grid a slot in the side of the socket.
You might be able to get by with an open end wrench for a minor adjustment if you can work it in there. There are several threads on this that you may find by searching. I wound cutting the wire and using a deep socket then splicing the wire back. Wish I'd known about the slotted socket. Went to the hardware store and bought a cheap socket and cut a groove in it and it works well.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Ditto SLOrider--buy a cheap deep socket and grind about a 3/8" inch slot about 1.5" long. Also, even with the slotted socket you can't just ratchet away or you will snag the thin power wire, wrap it around the socket, and tear the wire. Use about 1/2 turn on the socket, remove the socket freeing the wire, and repeat till loose enough to adjust; then reverse when tightening.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't mind the high cost, Snap On sells a beauty - here's the part number. FRX181 It doesn't just have a groove, it's specially designed for the exact purpose mentioned here. Btw, most of the time, those passing lamps can be adjusted by the ol' Armstrong method.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:28 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here we go again Made mine up from an old 14mm laying around the garage. It's the same as a 9/16".

Old 04-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

As Retired_Ted mentioned small adjustments can be made with some muscle. I was able to make the adjustments I needed with a little push.

Neil

Old 04-16-2007, 08:27 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

Several aftermarket companies sell a flat bar (wrench) with the spacing for the lollipop light turn signals. This bolts onto the turn signal mountto align it while tightening the passing lamp nut. All this really takes three hands. One to hold the passing lamp, one to tighten the 9/16" nut and one more to hold the turn signal lamp bracket. Take it slow, continually checking the passing lamp center line with the headlamp centerline. I managed to pinch the passing lamp wire, blowing the 15 amp fuse, while trying to adjust the lamps after a raked triple tree was installed on my wife's trike. (The installer did not adjust the lights).

[IMG]local://upfiles/17522/7E2230F64DA346298B303A7470924FF1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-17-2007, 12:06 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yep you can buy from snap on for about $25 (I think).
Or spend $5. at auto zone (or such) grind a slot in the side for the wire.
will work every bit as good as the snap on.
Or a crows foot style line wrench will work too but not as easy.(clearance problems).

Old 04-17-2007, 09:20 AM
corgi
Road Master

Thanks all for the input. I'll start working on that this week. I'm leary of the Armstrong method. With my luck, I'd snap off the light.

Quick Reply: adjusting passing lights??