Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start issue

Old 12-31-2014, 12:29 PM
cwickgo9
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default No start issue

I have a 2005 Ultra. For the last year its suddenly developed this nasty habit that started odd and has developed into a major PITA.

Last year it began that I would have to hit the starter button about 5 times and get a "click" before it would turn over. Then it would be fine for several days, before it would do it again.

I pulled the solenoid appart and cleaned up the contact area. That worked for about two months. I had the dealer trace the wires from the button to the starter - no issues. Still happened. I had a starter installed. This worked for a while. Battery is pretty new and shows fine on every load test.

It has gotten to where it will work for about a month. Then the dreaded "click". All the lights do what you would expect, it just wont turn over.

This weekend, after sitting several days, I went out to start it. And it happened again. I leaned over and put my hand on the starter and the "click" was the starter trying to do something, I'm assuming the bendix or starter gear is hitting the "flywheel". I then removed the wire at the solenoid, and jumped it across to the battery cable on the starter - it turned over! Then, I put the wire back on the solenoid and suddenly it would start from the starter button!

Does ANYONE have a clue what it can be? I can only guess there is a short or power draw before the starter. I dont know if its the switch itself or a wire grounding out in the circuit, or ???

Last edited by cwickgo9; 12-31-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:45 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

so there are 2 circuits for the starter to work.

the secondary circuit is the cable from the battery to the solenoid.
the solenoid
the starter windings
and the ground.

crack and retighten the starter mounting bolts.

check the battery cables are clean and tight at both ends and that the cables are not rotting inside the insulation ( white powder coming out the ends)

many rubbermount models use a woven steel ground strap from the inner primary to the frame- check that.

so that is the secondary circuit.

the primary circuit is the wiring, switches and relay- which as you know you can bypass with a jumper wire from batt to solenoid.

all you can do is trace through that system and ensure it is correct.

a trouble light can make this easy.

connect the solenoid wire ( green) to a trouble light and watch that it comes on when you hit the switch- each and every time.

Guys who have persistent hair-pulling problems with the primary circuit ( or on custom builds) sometimes swap the solenoid end cover to a plunger button which allows manual starter activation- about $35 or so from any catalog

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-31-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:58 PM
cwickgo9
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Red face

Definitely sounds like an issue in the primary circuit. I think I'm getting power to the starter since it activates and "clicks", I think it's a voltage drop. I need to use a volt meter to see what I'm getting there next time it happens.
I appreciate the insight, Mike. Doesn't sound like too much fun. But I don't really want to be reaching under the seat on a 1200lb loaded Ultra to hit the plunger.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:22 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

if trying to measure voltage drop in the primary you need to check loaded- like with a trouble light.

often when metering we will see good volts- but forget that there is no or low load...add a load and the voltage reading may drop.

you just have to be methodical with electricity.

mike