Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the HD service lift worth the price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 08:08 PM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Lifts are great for some maintenance, but fluid changes aren't among them. I have a Pitbull lift, with the required adapters for use with some metric bikes, and haven't been able to use it for fluid changes with the 5 different bikes I've lifted with it to date. I know on my wife's 1100 VStar, I have to roll the wheels onto 2x lumber & block up the side stand to get clearance to be able to swing a wrench on the horizontally oriented oil plug, but I can't access it all on the lift. But a lift is great for other maintenance, even if it is just to get the bike up higher & saving your back. I'm not really a fan of the cheap ones though, & can recommend Pitbull.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:10 PM
PigSnot
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Poor price/value ratio on part# 92900004. Agreed,not needed for fluid changes. J&S Jacks far superior, including price/value.Comparison link below.

I have the Pitbull; very rare to find used and got it at agood price. The Pitbull is heavy with a big footprint. With the wheels outboardof the frame it does not fit through a regular door. Removing rear wheel, I’venever had to raise bike past secondsafety latch but height may be nice to have.

The Harbor Freight does decent fast as shown in the linkbelow with no option for slow or precise lowering. By working fender washers asspacers between the frame and the lift arms, and locking down the swivel wheelsthe jack was acceptably stable.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:21 PM
CamaroPete
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Harley lift is junk and so are Sears and Harbor Freight. I had a Pitbull and now a J&S, buy a J&S and don't look back.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:52 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
On My Bike, fluid changes and checks are all designed to be done on the jiffy Stand
My owners manual says to check trans and primary fluid levels with the bike straight up, off the jiffy stand.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
My owners manual says to check trans and primary fluid levels with the bike straight up, off the jiffy stand.

They're all meant to be done that way....

Old 01-05-2015, 12:30 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

...primary fluid levels with the bike straight up...
fine, the fluids will drain better out of the bike on the jiffy stand.

on fill, it is easy enough to push it upright when getting close to the required level.

ALL fluids should be checked visually, there are no "absolute correct" capacities- many of us run the oil 8 or 12 oz low.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-05-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:25 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

For you guys that do your trans and primary on the jiffy stand, how are you getting it upright to check levels. It seem like if you had it on a 2X4 it would be hard to balance and unstable if it's right at the tipping point.
A must have IMHO. Use it in the garage or the trailer. Mine is homemade, but same principle.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-97843.html

Attached Thumbnails Is the HD service lift worth the price?-dscn1867.jpg  
Old 01-05-2015, 02:36 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroPete
The Harley lift is junk and so are Sears and Harbor Freight. I had a Pitbull and now a J&S, buy a J&S and don't look back.
Bull! I've had a Sears red jack for about 8 or 9 years now and have done all kinds of stuff to the bike while on that jack. Including sitting on the bike while it is on the jack like a certain video posted by a expensive jack company!! Is it the best? No, but it is far from junk and has served me well till this day! Now and again all of us using "non-approved" jacks will chime in with stories similar to mine. While I will not question the quality of the J & S or PitBull jacks, statements like yours tell me your still trying to justify all the money you spent on yours. I'm glad you have a high quality jack, but it ain't necessary by any means. And no, I'm not jealous.....ever heard of a Handy B.O.B. 1500 lb lift?????

Hmmmmmm, went back and looked at camaroPete's profile. 2 whole posts......makes you wonder if he isn't a J & S sales troll???? Sorry to offend, but everybody is entitled to their opinion, but when their opinion is so contrary to facts, they deserve to be called out! Hundreds of us use the "lesser" jacks successfully. Many can't afford the high dollar stuff. To lie and say it is all "junk" ain't righteous!!

Now to answer the OP's question; as others have said, NO! It has HD's name on it, you know it is over priced!!

Attached Thumbnails Is the HD service lift worth the price?-resize-ii.jpg  

Last edited by mike5511; 01-05-2015 at 02:51 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:39 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
Bull! I've had a Sears red jack for about 8 or 9 years now and have done all kinds of stuff to the bike while on that jack. Including sitting on the bike while it is on the jack like a certain video posted by a expensive jack company!! Is it the best? No, but it is far from junk and has served me well till this day! Now and again all of us using "non-approved" jacks will chime in with stories similar to mine. While I will not question the quality of the J & S or PitBull jacks, statements like yours tell me your still trying to justify all the money you spent on yours. I'm glad you have a high quality jack, but it ain't necessary by any means. And no, I'm not jealous.....ever heard of a Handy B.O.B. 1500 lb lift?????

Hmmmmmm, went back and looked at camaroPete's profile. 2 whole posts......makes you wonder if he isn't a J & S sales troll???? Sorry to offend, but everybody is entitled to their opinion, but when their opinion is so contrary to facts, they deserve to be called out! Hundreds of us use the "lesser" jacks successfully. Many can't afford the high dollar stuff. To lie and say it is all "junk" ain't righteous!!

Now to answer the OP's question; as others have said, NO! It has HD's name on it, you know it is over priced!!
Yep. My Sears jack has served me well for years. As has my $70 el cheapo from Sams. Are they as good as a J&S or a Pitbull? I can not attest to that as I have never owned one of those brands but it would probably be a fair assumption to say they are not. But to blatantly state that all HF, HD, or Sears jacks are junk is pure poppycock. Thousands have been using those jacks for a long time with nary a problem.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:45 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a jack will only be a hassle to use when doing fliud changes. if you still want a jack i have a craftsman jack and it has went up and down everytime and much cheaper than some other options.

for your maintance look into a lift table, harbor frieght has big sales on them pretty regularly for $299, buy a locking wheel chock with it and you will have a great set up for $350

Quick Reply: Is the HD service lift worth the price?