Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the HD service lift worth the price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 07:41 AM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The jack threads on here make me laugh. Someone always upsets someone....lol. I used an old "free to me " torin for two years with no problems. The adapter thing really sucked to use but other than that it did the job. I think they all do the job regeadless of price. I did ended up buying a j&s and I must say I use it more than I thought. I use it even to clean the bike because it is so simple to use. Contrary to a couple posts the the jack isn't in the way for fluid changes. It has a piece of sheet metal they formed into a drain pan and all three holes hit it. Works awesome and the cleanup is a breeze. Cover the drain pan with foil.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:02 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

It's all about what you want. I don't know anything about the J&S lifts, I know my Pitbull rides on casters with roller & needle bearings; there are bushings that reinforce all the pivot points through the frame; & there are numerous grease fittings to keep things lubed properly. Mine is a manual & the hydraulic jack is rated @ 6 tons, I believe the lift is rated at around 1500 LBS. It is heavy, I store it vertically against a wall & will admit to grunting a little to get it into position. But with my bike about 2 feet in the air, it is solid & secure. It's also manufactured in Tennessee with a lifetime warranty so if anything should go wrong it won't be difficult to remedy the situation. I won't call the less expensive, imported jacks "junk", but there is no way they are built as strong as a Pitbull. If strength is important, that will matter.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:14 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,245 Likes on 8,381 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
You truly do not need a lift for oil, trans, and primary fluid changes. Nice to have a jack but it's just in the way for that mentioned maintenance. A scrap piece of 2x4 under the stand and a old blanket or spread to lay on. The side cut out of a 5 quart oil container. Now if you're doing it for a living, that's probably different.
I did the jack and 2 x 4 with a creeper for a long time until my aging body began complaining a lot more. Then I got a decent jack.

Originally Posted by SWThomas
For you guys that do your trans and primary on the jiffy stand, how are you getting it upright to check levels. It seem like if you had it on a 2X4 it would be hard to balance and unstable if it's right at the tipping point.
Before I got my jack I used a 1 x 8 under the jack just a couple inches forward of the CG to span the frame where the jack would lift. Then I would lift the bike high enough for two 4 x 4s stacked at the CG of the bike to span underneath the frame. When I let it down on the 4 bys, the bike would be rock solid and level, and be supported at a point where I could still have access to all three holes for draining the oil. It was even solid enough to run the engine and put it into 2nd gear and spin the wheel at that speed. I did that to listen to the engine and trans noises to see if anything was not sounding right. However, I wouldn`t recommend removing tires on that setup, due to changing the CG.

BTW, the brand of jack I now have is "Hydrolift" and sold by my indy. It is rock solid and sturdy. I believe it is every bit as good as a J & S, but a whole lot cheaper.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 01-05-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:01 PM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

I have the yellow Craftsman, it serves the purpose, great for cleaning. I even yanked both wheels at the same time to put on new tires, sat there just fine. Now a ride on lift would be nice.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:15 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

SW asked above:
[[ For you guys that do your trans and primary on the jiffy stand, how are you getting it upright to check levels. ]]

For the transmission, I don't even worry about "the levels" any more. For my '07, the manual says "32 ounces". That's the amount that usually comes in the bottle -- I just pour it in and close it up.

For the primary, I put the jiffy stand on a brick. This doesn't quite stand it completely vertical -- it's a couple of degrees "to the left", but close enough. Again, the manual calls for 38 ounces on a "wet change", so I just measure it out and pour it in. Just be a little careful because the bike is almost vertical.

You could also get a free-standing front wheel chock...

Old 01-05-2015, 11:29 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

I'm looking into getting a lift so I can do my own service. Mainly for oil, trans, and primary fluid changes since I'm still learning about everything else.

I'm interested in the HD Motorcycle Service Lift (part# 92900004). I get a 10% discount so it would cost me $270. Is it a good lift for that price?
Get the J&S. They offer a 10% Veterans discount also. You get what you pay for and you do not want to sacrifice stability or peace of mind. Best thing I've ever bought for my Scoots.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:45 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

My owners manual says to check trans and primary fluid levels with the bike straight up, off the jiffy stand.
Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
They're all meant to be done that way....
Nope. The Dyna Owner's Manual clearly states:

"With the vehicle resting on the jiffy stand..."

Old 01-06-2015, 05:44 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

My old manual doesn't say that, it says with the bike level.
They must have changed it at some point since my bike was new.
My bike is never on the jiffy stand at home, when it's in my garage it's on the table lift, so consequently it's always level when the fluids get checked/changed.
I don't think it actually makes much difference if the bike is leaning a little bit or perfectly upright.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:20 AM
CamaroPete
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
Bull! I've had a Sears red jack for about 8 or 9 years now and have done all kinds of stuff to the bike while on that jack. Including sitting on the bike while it is on the jack like a certain video posted by a expensive jack company!! Is it the best? No, but it is far from junk and has served me well till this day! Now and again all of us using "non-approved" jacks will chime in with stories similar to mine. While I will not question the quality of the J & S or PitBull jacks, statements like yours tell me your still trying to justify all the money you spent on yours. I'm glad you have a high quality jack, but it ain't necessary by any means. And no, I'm not jealous.....ever heard of a Handy B.O.B. 1500 lb lift?????

Hmmmmmm, went back and looked at camaroPete's profile. 2 whole posts......makes you wonder if he isn't a J & S sales troll???? Sorry to offend, but everybody is entitled to their opinion, but when their opinion is so contrary to facts, they deserve to be called out! Hundreds of us use the "lesser" jacks successfully. Many can't afford the high dollar stuff. To lie and say it is all "junk" ain't righteous!!

Now to answer the OP's question; as others have said, NO! It has HD's name on it, you know it is over priced!!
You mad bro?

Last edited by CamaroPete; 01-06-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:04 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
My old manual doesn't say that, it says with the bike level.
They must have changed it at some point since my bike was new.
My bike is never on the jiffy stand at home, when it's in my garage it's on the table lift, so consequently it's always level when the fluids get checked/changed.
I don't think it actually makes much difference if the bike is leaning a little bit or perfectly upright.
Yeah, I assume they changed it a while back.

I can't believe why they would ever say to check your oil with the bike level. How would an average owner even do that? Try to hold an 800 pound bike with one hand and check the oil with the other? Get somebody to hold it up every time you check the oil? If you want to check your oil you have to buy a jack or a lift?

Now, you just park the bike and check the oil. Eazy-peazy.

Quick Reply: Is the HD service lift worth the price?