Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baker announces new compensator kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 07:27 PM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Scott did you have the starter clutch looked at?
Just a thought.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:50 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So I've been watching news re the rumored baker comp. Planned to replace my 09 oem comp this winter, and just recently got the full parts kit from my dealer. All still in factory boxes. Now bakers's is about to be available. It looks sweet.

What should I do? Get the Baker and take a hit on selling the replacement HD parts? At least I can use rotor, right?

Last edited by jefla; 01-18-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,245 Likes on 3,623 Posts

Originally Posted by jefla
So I've been watching news re the rumored baker comp. Planned to replace my 09 oem comp this winter, and just recently got the full parts kit from my dealer. All still in factory boxes. Now bakers's is about to be available. It looks sweet.

What should I do? Get the Baker and take a hit on selling the replacement HD parts? At least I can use rotor, right?
I'd install when the current parts are worn out and run what you got.. If a gen III, haven't seen any of these fail yet.. They get a little rattly with some miles.. Compensaver.com makes a plastic / fiber thrust bearing that replaces the needle but I'd put up with the rattle until here is an issue. I've got about 66k on a 07 EGC that's been a build 103 since about 15K. It's been through 2 early comps, one original and another used plus one gen II SE.. The SE has hand an additional oiler.

Anyway use what you got.. If it wears out, the next generation of whatever will be out..

Old 01-18-2015, 09:07 PM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

jefla I would take it back and get my $ back. Wait for the word on the baker. If you put the Harley one in you will need another some time down the road. I would just wait.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:30 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rickb
jefla I would take it back and get my $ back. Wait for the word on the baker. If you put the Harley one in you will need another some time down the road. I would just wait.
He still needs the rotor.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:17 PM
atm33
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default patience...

I'm gonna wait a bit before ordering. I would whole heartedly agree that Baker makes great stuff, but there are about 8 forum members pre-testing the compensator as we speak. Sure couldn't hurt to wait a couple months and get some feedback from these guys after they've put on several thousand miles or more. $400 plus a $100 rotor in my case is a lot of money (at least for me it is...). However, I'm pretty convinced this is the one to get even if they have to work out some bugs, especially considering the alternatives (SE comp with plastic parts and glue in the primary--which still has failures, darkhorse which sadly may never see the light of day, and the BDL and Vulcanworks solid sprockets). Keep following the thread titled "darkhorse compensator" where Mark from Baker has provided some great info. Oh yeah, don't forget about the 10% discount for HD Forums members.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:46 PM
jefla
Road Master

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to install the SE parts I have in boxes. My bike is on a lift and partly apart, so I feel like I need to finish this now. Even with Bakers's great reputation I'd prefer to wait until after its product has been in use for a while, so the timing is not working. Also, the parts were special ordered so there will be restocking charges. ... What a hassle. Harley can be rough on its customers.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:23 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jefla
What a hassle. Harley can be rough on its customers.
And they don't even have the courtesy of giving us a wide-mouth jar of Vaseline when it happens!

Old 01-24-2015, 09:28 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by timbo141
Scott did you have the starter clutch looked at?
Just a thought.
=========

Yub,had same thought & tried a new starter,still had same noise which is when i joined this onloine HDfroum and read that the slam/bangs sound you get when firing up the bike is sign of bad comp.

And i also read if you sometimes get kind of a lurchy tweaky feel as your engaging the clutch taking off in 1st gear thats also a sign of a bad comp which the bike started doing along with the loud clang/bang sound from primary case when firing up too.

So i feel the compensators the issue and wanted to go with Bakers new comp but from what i read on thier site i'd need a new rotor for my bike which is an additional $125 or so on top of the $400 totaling $525 when i can get the upgraded SE heavy comp for $353 online delivered to my house and not have to buy a new rotor so thats the way i am going.

I have read here on the forum that the newer design heavy duty SE comps are doing better/lasting much longer then the stock original comp so at $175 less then going with the new Baker comp i figured i'd give it a try because i am not loaded with $$$$.

The $175 i save pays for the progressive front lowering spring kit & lowering brackets for rear shocks off Ebay with a few bucks to spare.

And yes i am aware you have epoxy oil deflectors in the primary case with the upgraded SE comp kit!/LOL!!

Scott

Old 01-24-2015, 09:48 PM
jefla
Road Master

I have an unused HD epoxy kit. Paid ~ $54. Does anyone know how many oil deflector cup installs can be completed with one kit, and how long the stuff will last once opened? It looks like the kit will do 3-4 cup installs.

If the kit has a shelf life after being opened, which I expect it has, I'll share the leftover with a member doing this project. Member covers postage. I'll probably be done in mid February.

Quick Reply: Baker announces new compensator kit