Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnum clutch cable to short?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 09:36 AM
mfortkamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Magnum clutch cable to short?

I installed 13" prime apes and am to the point of putting in my clutch cable. It seems too tight or short compared to my stock cable as far as adjustment. After installing it I only spread the adjustment screw apart maybe 1/8" to get proper free play. My stock cable probably had 3/4-7/8" gap between the nuts on the adjustment screw. The clutch feels fine as far as pull and engagement. Anyone else experience this?

Old 01-18-2015, 09:43 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by mfortkamp
I installed 13" prime apes and am to the point of putting in my clutch cable. It seems too tight or short compared to my stock cable as far as adjustment. After installing it I only spread the adjustment screw apart maybe 1/8" to get proper free play. My stock cable probably had 3/4-7/8" gap between the nuts on the adjustment screw. The clutch feels fine as far as pull and engagement. Anyone else experience this?
New cables will stretch a little. Did you do a full adjustment starting with the clutch basket?

Old 01-18-2015, 10:21 AM
mfortkamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

No I haven't. I'm not to that point just getting cables ran and was hooking it up to clutch lever and was having issues getting it in there. I didn't want to get to far to find out it wasn't the right cable

Old 01-18-2015, 10:23 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by mfortkamp
No I haven't. I'm not to that point just getting cables ran and was hooking it up to clutch lever and was having issues getting it in there. I didn't want to get to far to find out it wasn't the right cable
It will be fine. Do a full adjustment at the clutch basket. Between that and the new cable stretching a bit, you will have plenty of adjustment. You probably should have taken the basket preload off before adding the cable. You are gonna do it anyway to properly adjust it before you are finished.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:10 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i hated my magnums, i always had a loose cable and adjusted it constantly, not sure of your exact issue though. did you order the cable too short?

Old 01-20-2015, 09:34 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by slammed05fatty
i hated my magnums, i always had a loose cable and adjusted it constantly, not sure of your exact issue though. did you order the cable too short?
Same issue with my magnums they were the right length but had hardly any adjustment.