Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today is an example of why I ride solo...

Old 01-19-2015, 05:18 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Today is an example of why I ride solo...

Sorry gang, just need to complain a bit.

Two guys I know have been asking for the three of us to ride some back roads in S.C., which I'm familiar with. I consented and given the fact that today (January 19) is 61* and a Federal holiday, it would be a perfect day to ride.

Here comes problem 1. I suggested that we meet at my house; however, one of the guys said he wasn't available until 3:00 P.M. (much later than I like to start a ride). By 3:30, both the guys finally showed up. I'm annoyed because I rushed to get ready on time and yes, I am a stickler for time. More importantly, I don't like starting a ride late in the afternoon. Once arrived, one guy laughed and said he was "busy" due to playing Madden. He was trying to predict the winner of the upcoming Superbowl.

After less than 10 minutes, they needed to stop for gas. Okay fine, gas is significantly cheaper in S.C. We crossed onto Lake Wylie and got to a station then, one guy started complaining that he was hungry and needed to eat. Since we were at the QT gas station, I suggested getting a granola or Snicker bar so we can quickly get on the back roads. Literally 5 - 10 minutes later, one of the guys came out of QT, sipping a Slurpee or something. He said they each ordered a mini pizza and were waiting for them to be ready. At this point, I'm beyond pissed.

And, instead of moving to a parking spot, they left their bikes in front of the gas pumps; thus, preventing anyone from getting gas. Inconsiderate stuff like that really yanks my chain.

Another 10 - 15 minutes passes by and they finally finished their mini pizzas, Slurpee and ran to the bathroom. Now, we're finally ready to roll. I rolled from my parking spot to their area and I'm getting ready to lead the pack but suddenly, I hear a loud bang!!! One of the guys has a Suzuki M-109R and I still don't know how but he dropped it. He said the bike "got away from him." Now, he was literally 2 - 3 feet behind me and could have easily run into the back of my Street Glide (yes, that's automatically what I was concerned about). I helped him to pick up the bike and discovered that the lever on his hand brake broke in half. His pipe was dented and his after market, right side speaker was broken. He stood there cussing about this being the 2nd time that the bike "got away from him." Fortunately, he was able to ride around the station, confirming that his bike was still functioning.

At this point, we're now in rush hour traffic; thus, the reason why I don't like starting rides late in the day. Eventually, we were able to get onto some back roads but due to traffic, we had to go slower than I preferred. But, after a short while, I'm started to relax and started enjoying the ride. It's a beautiful day, I'm passing farms and other scenic landscapes. My Biketronics stereo is blasting Van Halen's, Panama, a great blast from the past and I'm grinning while having my cruise control locked in. Yes, life is good; however, all good things do come to an end. One of the guys rode up to me and yelled that he has to get back home shortly due to of something he has planned with his wife. I have no bitterness towards plans with ones mate but, why start a destination if you can't complete the journey?

The grin on my face changed to anger. I can't determine which was causing me to shake more: my anger or the V-twin. It was a completely wasted day. How many 61* days do you get in January, whilst away from work?

Now, I don't want to start the judgmental sophomoric debate of, who's a biker vs. who's not but the solemn promise that I made to myself on the ride home was: I will never, ever ride with these two guys again because they don't get what its all about. Simply put, riding is about the journey. During that time, everything else is secondary. There's no other way I can explain it.

Thus friends, this is a reason why I ride solo. I'll now get off of my soap box.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:26 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

I prefer to do short rides solo but there is nothing like riding with a few buddies that have the same riding style as oneself and heading out for the day.
I'm usually am the ride leader so I set the meeting time and agenda in advance and tell my buddies to plan accordingly. (fyi - I usually tell them to meet me 30 minutes before I plan to pull out so we can BS and take into account if someone is running late or needs gas)

Old 01-19-2015, 05:27 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

I agree I would have been upset also. People who comes for rides should come both filled up gas and food wise unless otherwise stated to meet at a restaurant to eat before we ride out to get ice cream later. Our usual day rides. Maybe lunch in the middle too but its all planned in before hand. I hate waiting for others too so your not alone in any of this or your choices just need better "riding" friends.

Batman.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:37 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Ya ride with folks to figure out if ya will ride with again... I ride solo mostly but try to "go with the flow" when riding with others; so long as the "flow" is reasonable... I have been known to break off and go it alone in the middle of a ride.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:39 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 333 Posts

I would have been upset by the whole situation too. I would have made them move their bikes away from the pumps. I'm the guy who preaches to everyone about riding etiquette. There's been plenty of times I'm invited on a ride that involves, 10 miles of riding and then stop for a beer or wings or both. Ride ten miles, stop at another bar. Ride five miles someone has to leave taking a buddy or two with him. Now when I'm invited on a ride, I take lead and we ride till I stop (usually because my routes go out of the way and avoid towns). I start early too. Nothing later than noon.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:41 PM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those two don't sound like friends, they sound like little kids.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:43 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Same here. I ride by myself, or usually with my wife on her own bike. I don't like all the BS that goes along with people.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:45 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I don't have any friends that ride so I'm good...solo is the only way!

Old 01-19-2015, 05:50 PM
Kcdcltd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had an issue with a group ride this fall....best rides are solo or with a trusted friend or two. Newbies may not know better but consideration should be universal.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:53 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 357 Likes on 252 Posts

So, at that point you were riding for 30 minutes?

I mean, they didn't arrive until 3:30, and you posted at 6:18. And with all the time getting gas, pizza, stuck in traffic, etc.

"One of the guys rode up to me and yelled that he has to get back home shortly due to of something he has planned with his wife. I have no bitterness towards plans with ones mate but, why start a destination if you can't complete the journey?"

At that point, why not say "Have a safe ride home, I'm gonna ride a bit."

Why did you have to go home just because they did? Continue your ride solo, just how you like to!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Today is an example of why I ride solo...