Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-18-2015, 05:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Strip down a E-Glide instead of Street Glide?
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...eet-glide.html

Issue

Is it better to buy a Street Glide or better to strip down an Electra Glide and add touring parts?

In this thread, posters show pictures of their bikes, explain and give recommendations on an E-Glide with added parts vs a Street Glide, and how they did their set-up

Read below for full discussion...
Print Wikipost

Strip down a E-Glide instead of Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 09:29 PM
Johnny Wolf
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went the Electra Glide to a Street Glide clone route. Mine is an '03 (don't let the front wheel fool ya') E-Glide Classic, Peace Officer. Most of the tell tale parts have been removed like the ugly chrome fender/saddlebag baby buggy bumpers, spots, and probably a few other items. Added air ride, CFR exhaust, apes, custom seat, S/E Venilator A/C, Street Glide turn signals, Softail Deluxe floorboards and bumped up the stereo with an amp and 6.5 speakers. I did however retain the tourpac, sissy bar and docking hardware. Still have a few more things to do like the rear fender and fillers, but I really love it now.

Last edited by Johnny Wolf; 01-25-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:05 AM
osuhd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScrapingFloorBoards
I would go with the 2010. In 09 they completely redesigned the frame. Also if you ever want to do any motor upgrads the 96" cases will make it easier on you.
I had planned on it but the bike sold the night before I was going to purchase it. I think the 06 ultra classic screaming eagle is a solid purchase value wise. If anything I can always hold off and continue searching.

06 screaming eagle

pros:
chromed out already
103" engine
tour pack (can remove)
heated seats & grips
no chrome bag rail guards
new tires
1 year warranty

cons:
its a 2006
frame
not a street glide

Old 01-26-2015, 07:11 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

06 was the last yr for the old style cam chain tensioners on regular production touring bikes.I'm not sure if the CVO bikes had the new style or not.The new style can be less problematic.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:55 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

personally i think the SG has much better looks than th EG, even when you add the tour pack and lowers and anything else to make them comparable.

i would rather build up than strip down

Old 01-26-2015, 09:48 AM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

It wouldn't make any sense at all to buy a SG and add everything to it that a EG has. But it does make sense to add just the things you want. I added a QD TP and lowers to a SG and ended up NEVER taking them off, just liked them both so well. So when it came time for the new bike I bought an Ultra. I have my TP off now and am surprised how easy it comes off, unplug the harness and remove four bolts. But then you loose your turn signals and license. Yes you can get a kit but the license relocate looks like crap. Still trying to figure that out but then if it's like my SG I won't be taking the TP off anyway so why bother ?

One thing about it, no matter how many touring parts you bolt on to a SG, from a value point of view, it's still a SG. Where if you make an EG convertible, went it's time for resale it's priced out as an EG.

The ole Street Glide rear fender treatment still looks the best although I don't mind the holes in my bag supports, they'll get lights someday.

Last edited by 472viper; 01-26-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,107 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Originally Posted by 472viper
It wouldn't make any sense at all to buy a SG and add everything to it that a EG has. But it does make sense to add just the things you want. I added a QD TP and lowers to a SG and ended up NEVER taking them off, just liked them both so well. So when it came time for the new bike I bought an Ultra. I have my TP off now and am surprised how easy it comes off, unplug the harness and remove four bolts. But then you loose your turn signals and license. Yes you can get a kit but the license relocate looks like crap. Still trying to figure that out but then if it's like my SG I won't be taking the TP off anyway so why bother ?

One thing about it, no matter how many touring parts you bolt on to a SG, from a value point of view, it's still a SG. Where if you make an EG convertible, went it's time for resale it's priced out as an EG.

The ole Street Glide rear fender treatment still looks the best although I don't mind the holes in my bag supports, they'll get lights someday.
Yeah that!

Old 01-26-2015, 07:44 PM
osuhd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I made an offer on the 2006 ultra classic screaming eagle, talked the price down some already and going to try to get some more taken off. If it works out then good if not I'll probably try to find a street glide.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:52 PM
MDHD
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found myself turning my SG into a Ultra, so I bought one...lol Glad I did too much money adding parts.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:30 PM
VetMXR
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, I need five posts before I'm able to view these pics...okay, number 2...

Old 01-27-2015, 09:33 PM
teampiney
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another stripped down. 07 EGC

Quick Reply: Strip down a E-Glide instead of Street Glide?