Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE-585 vs SE-259E camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 07:40 AM
Tedwilliams09
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

My 15 street glide goes in on June 6th to get a Stage 4 Race Kit, (warranties are overrated anyways right?? ) swapping to SE585 cams and going with Vance and Hines Hi Performance Stainless Duals, Builder thinks it should pull Very strong torque curve and still get good horsepower, I am hoping the pipes aren't too much for the torque curve.. but he sais the cross over they have should save me.... Hope so,,, awful expensive gamble

Old 05-27-2015, 11:15 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedwilliams09
My 15 street glide goes in on June 6th to get a Stage 4 Race Kit, (warranties are overrated anyways right?? ) swapping to SE585 cams and going with Vance and Hines Hi Performance Stainless Duals, Builder thinks it should pull Very strong torque curve and still get good horsepower, I am hoping the pipes aren't too much for the torque curve.. but he sais the cross over they have should save me.... Hope so,,, awful expensive gamble
Every True Dual with the cross over I have made maps for work better down low than the True Duals. I guess they are really not True Duals and act more like a 2 in 1 in 2. They do sound like True Duals so guess you have the best of both worlds.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:15 AM
joenash
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage III

just got back from the dealer had stage 3 done , Stage 3 kit, SE Chisel aie cleaner, fuel moto 2-1-2 head pipe, SE Street canons mufflers. = 83.7 HP, 109.33 TQ ,

109.33 tq

109.33 tq 83.70 hp

Tech at shop said he did not like fuel moto head pipe, liked vance and hines better, may have gotten more from vance and hines exhaust. anyway was trying to take it easy cause everything is new , feels smooth nice power.
A little more torque than hd website says kit will make. their site says 100 tq and 88 hp.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:44 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by joenash
just got back from the dealer had stage 3 done , Stage 3 kit, SE Chisel aie cleaner, fuel moto 2-1-2 head pipe, SE Street canons mufflers. = 83.7 HP, 109.33 TQ ,

109.33 tq

109.33 tq 83.70 hp

Tech at shop said he did not like fuel moto head pipe, liked vance and hines better, may have gotten more from vance and hines exhaust. anyway was trying to take it easy cause everything is new , feels smooth nice power.
A little more torque than hd website says kit will make. their site says 100 tq and 88 hp.
There's nothing wrong with the Fuel-Moto 2-1-2 pipe except maybe the mufflers you installed and the tune to your bike. I had a friend with a 2014 SG with a decatted pipe tuned with the stock cams did 90hp and 110tq. The jagged lines from your sheet don't look to good and the AFR line looks like it was drawed with a straight edge. I'm not trying to be mean or critical which is the way it may sound but I'd think you would get more than that if properly tuned.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:24 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I had a stage 4 on my 103 RG with 585s. Ran Supertrapp megashots stepped 2-1-2 and made 124/121. I kept the pipes when I sold the bike. They're for sale if you're interested.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:11 AM
joenash
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
There's nothing wrong with the Fuel-Moto 2-1-2 pipe except maybe the mufflers you installed and the tune to your bike. I had a friend with a 2014 SG with a decatted pipe tuned with the stock cams did 90hp and 110tq. The jagged lines from your sheet don't look to good and the AFR line looks like it was drawed with a straight edge. I'm not trying to be mean or critical which is the way it may sound but I'd think you would get more than that if properly tuned.

Oh I am not mad at you I am a little disappointed at the dealer, slash tech, Harley Davidson......I had cut off the bottom of the dyno sheet, but here is a pic of it, I was trying to get a close up of the numbers cause some guys post their sheets and you can't read them. See they loaded a map for a motor with full sac x pipe (they don't sell fuel moto pipes). then probably tweaked it so it would run smooth, you know if you are riding and hear a little decel pop or hesitation, then everyone thinks it is running good, but not necessarily true, and if you set a motor up a little rich it will be running smooth and cool safe for the motor and smooth for the customer. Plus if you are a flat rate dealer tech you are not going to spend hours on a dyno just to get it right. if you have been doing this for a while you have maps saved you can load and get you number good so the bike runs ok. I noticed that the bike woke up when I took the cat off and did the air cleaner. I did not have the bike dynoed so who knows. But if you go to harleys website it says the cams will make 100 tq and 88 hp, mine made 109.33 tq 83.7 hp. so I did get more TQ than HD says it will , but hp is a little down, who knows with a different tune or exhaust.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:15 AM
joenash
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
As far as the mufflers I don't see why they would not preform well they are 4 inch and if you look at them are straight through with no restriction. the head pipe well I don't know but if the vance and hines have a bigger diameter pipe or the collector is a different design maybe ???????

Old 05-28-2015, 09:19 AM
Tedwilliams09
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
I had a stage 4 on my 103 RG with 585s. Ran Supertrapp megashots stepped 2-1-2 and made 124/121. I kept the pipes when I sold the bike. They're for sale if you're interested.

If mine pulls those kind of numbers I will be Very Happy,, My biggest concern is I want a very Flat torque curve

Old 05-28-2015, 09:49 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

The Jackpot 2/1/2 head pipe will support 120+Hp and has been tested in literally thousands of applications. The pipe is not holding your numbers back. Take a look at the smoothness (or lack there of) of the dyno curve, I would look straight at the tune; most specifically the spark tables. I would also ask the specific engine temp the runs were made at, if the motor is past optimum temp or does not have proper airflow from the dyno fans it can have the same effect on the dyno chart.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 05-28-2015, 02:49 PM
joenash
Cruiser

If mine pulls those kind of numbers I will be Very Happy,, My biggest concern is I want a very Flat torque curve
Originally Posted by fuelmoto
The Jackpot 2/1/2 head pipe will support 120+Hp and has been tested in literally thousands of applications. The pipe is not holding your numbers back. Take a look at the smoothness (or lack there of) of the dyno curve, I would look straight at the tune; most specifically the spark tables. I would also ask the specific engine temp the runs were made at, if the motor is past optimum temp or does not have proper airflow from the dyno fans it can have the same effect on the dyno chart.
I did not say your pipe was not good, I said the tech at the harley dealer said he liked the vance and hines pipe better. I put the fuel moto pipe on cause i read a lot online about pipes and feel yours should produce good power. I went with the street cannons cause I wanted a little quieter sound and good performance, I feel that combo should bring good results. I feel that flat rate is a good way to pay people it gets them motivated to produce more work, but then they are under pressure to make hours ie money. I know I am a flat rate tech in an automotive shop.
I noticed a difference in how the bike ran when i put your pipe on and the air cleaner, I just could not get it tuned right, and not having a dyno and afr meter I did not feel like i could do a good job so I brought it to the dealer , and since I wanted to do the stage 3 kit I figured why not. I do feel a little sad because the only difference I really notice is a little cam lope at idle and more oil pressure cause I had them do the oil pump / cam plate upgrade.
I got my old parts back and did see the old pistons are all oil fouled and did see post of guys doing the breather buy pass, I don't know if this will help it run better but I only have 8K miles on the bike and the pistons look horrible. so that is my next project. When I get home I will put some pictures of the old pistons on here.
Yes I was surprised that the TQ was more than Harley said it would be in their add but you don't know what air filter and exhaust they had, and reading the post of guys on here that only did air cleaner and full exhaust I would think I would have gotten MORE. From that set up.
Do you know any good tuners in the phoenix area?

Quick Reply: SE-585 vs SE-259E camshaft