Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering brackets or shorter shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 08:54 PM
matt_eglide
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Lowering brackets or shorter shocks?

Got an 07 Electra Glide Standard. I've done about as good a job as I possibly can as far as making the bike into 2 at once (full Ultra Classic-ish bagger for my long trips and stripped down street glide for bar hopping), with the exception of the rear ride height. I know dropping it will likely affect the ride and handling a bit but I rarely ride 2-up and usually just air up the shocks to make up for it if I have a passenger.

I'm looking to drop the rear an inch or slightly more, which is my best option to keep as much of my stock ride-ability while not breaking the bank;

-Keep the stock 13" air shocks and go with lowering brackets??

Or

-Install street glide air shocks??

Old 01-22-2015, 09:07 PM
Pitbull2411
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Without knowing how much will break your bank it sounds like a set of 12" hand adjustable harley shocks would suit you. You can find them in the classifieds quite often for $300-400. I think you can get know for less than $500.

You could for much cheaper go with street glide shocks.

Good luck.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:59 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

look up lowering block failures before you think about putting them on. i had a set on before and they ride pretty harsh. dont waste your time with street glide air shocks. there is a reason they are cheap to buy. if you want top of the line ive been told to go with Ohlins. but if you want a better than stock ride but not expensive i would go with progressive 12". depending on your weight and what you carry will determine what spring you want, heavy duty or standard. most people prefer standard and say the heavy duty is pretty harsh.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:07 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Probably the cheapest way to lower an Ultra is to find some used 12 inch factory Street Glide shocks. Ultras run 12 3/4 shocks, and the lowered Street Glides run 12's. That right there will get you 3/4 of an inch, and the ride quality will change very little. I say very little because the factory stock length shocks ride almost as bad as the 12 inch lowered shocks. Lowering blocks are an option, as long as you just drop them the minimum amount. Buy those crappy ebay jobs and crank them all the way down, and you will likely have issues. But there are a few brands of lowering blocks that are well made, well thought out and work fine for a simple on inch drop. I for example run Pingel 1 inch blocks and dare ANYONE to show me a failed Pingel product, let alone a failed Pingel lowering block. Also, a one inch lowering block will put your Ultra at 11 3/4 inches, not 12. Yeah, its only a 1/4 inch, but they will lower you more than the 12 inch Street Glide shocks and still have a little bit better ride. If you have the money, quality shocks are also an excellent way to lower the bike. Shorter shocks mean less travel, but stay at 11.5-12 inch shocks, and you can still have a decent ride with a good shock. Progressive is one option, and for real money, Motorcycle Metal can custom make some sweet shocks. Lastly, Bitchen Baggers will shorten your factory shocks to any length you want. They charge $175, and your done, while still maintaining your air adjustability. In the end, the options are endless. Figure the budget, and go from there. Used, modified stockers, new, or blocks. You have to decide.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 01-22-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:45 AM
Big Money
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a,set of 11" Bitchin Baggers shocks on my 07FLHX. They work great, no difference from stock ride.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Why do you want to lower the rear end, for looks?

Old 01-23-2015, 04:54 AM
Cobra1
Road Warrior

Received 1,289 Likes on 523 Posts

I have the pingel lowering blocks on my 14 Limited and I swear the bike handles better with them installed. I like the racked feel I guess. I changed the shock oil to Bel Ray 10w and love the ride. This was cheaper than new shocks and I am satisfied with the ride. Also as stated before, never heard of a pingel failure.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:27 AM
turkeybird42
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

OK, B4 I shell out $150.00 for "Pingel" lowering kit, does the product work as advertised. At 5'8", I need to drop the rear a lil to get flat footed on my 08 Ultra. Staying with stock shocks with air adjustment, not got a lot of money, LOL. I ride 2 up once in a while and my other half is 125 lb, so not an issue.
THANKS for any input.

Tbird

Old 01-23-2015, 05:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by turkeybird42
OK, B4 I shell out $150.00 for "Pingel" lowering kit, does the product work as advertised. At 5'8", I need to drop the rear a lil to get flat footed on my 08 Ultra. Staying with stock shocks with air adjustment, not got a lot of money, LOL. I ride 2 up once in a while and my other half is 125 lb, so not an issue.
THANKS for any input.

Tbird
I can't flat-foot on my Glide - been riding it since 1990! Ride comfort and cornering clearance are more important to me I guess. A bit more time in the saddle will get you used to handling it. If you want more peace of mind with your footing a sturdy pair of thick-soled riding boots will help - if you don't already use them.

If you're thinking of backing up while sitting on it - don't! Get off the darned thing and reverse it from alongside. Even taller riders can have a serious mishap being lazy and trying that. It isn't necessary to flat-foot and you could keep your $150 for something else.......

Old 01-23-2015, 06:16 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

http://bitchinbaggers.com/products/drop-shocks/

This is what you need, do not waste money, or your safety/life on brackets.

Quick Reply: Lowering brackets or shorter shocks?