Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions on starting my own maintenance and fluid changes

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 06:06 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

I use the Mobil 1 V-Twin in all three holes on both Harleys, in my KTM and in my XR -70. Whatever's left goes in the lawnmower. You'll be fine with that.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:00 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Delete

Last edited by wscott; 01-24-2015 at 07:07 PM. Reason: DELETE DBL POST
Old 01-24-2015, 07:06 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hemi1300
gonna purchase a j&s lift soon to start doing my own maintenance on my 14 sg, I know there are millions of "which oil is best" threads, little over bearing trying to read them all lol. Want to make the switch to full synthetic, probably gonna go with mobil 1 vtwin synthetic, think i can get it locally at advanced auto. Are any extra steps required when switching to full synthetic, or just drain oil like normal and fill her up. Little confused on oils for primary and transmission, engine and transmission take same oil but primary takes different? Or can i use the same synthetic for all 3? I apologize in advance for offending anybody in not doing a search for all these answers, just looking for some quick advice bc i want to start doing my own service instead of paying the dealer around $300
==========================================

Here's a good place to start for proper oils that are specifically formulated for the Harley's motor/trans/primary case.

Scott

Heres a couple links to buy spectro's motorcycle oil online & delivered to your door for a bit less or same price you'd pay locally for it depending on dealer.

http://performanceoilstore.com/products.asp?cat=65&pg=4

http://www.spectroshop.com/heavy-dut...60/prod_60.htm

Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil 1-qt

Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil 1-qt. This sheer stable petroleum is designed to withstand the punishment of high loads, and contains special polymers to provide exceptional clutch engagement and temperature stability. Meets full OEM requirements, and should be used according to manufacturers’ instructions. Formulated specifically for Harley® Sportster and Big Twin applications. Low drag, low friction loss SAE 85w viscosity helps eliminate clutch “drag” and slipping.
List Price: $12.04
Price: $7.95

Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil 1-qt
Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil 1-qt. Enter quantity of 12 for case discount. Designed by Spectro in response to complaints from Harley owners about the great but noisy new 6-speed transmission, this full synthetic provides ultimate lubrication protection. Formulated to significantly reduce gear noise and provide easier, smoother shifting, this SAE 75w140 formulation eases shifting even when cold. High loads and extreme heat do not affect the oil, so it performs well when pushed hard and long. A.P.I. GL-5 rated
List Price: $19.60
Price: $15.85

Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum Full Synthetic 20w50 1-qt.
Enter quantity of 12 for case discount. Engineered specifically for Harley Davidson® high-performance engines and other high-output V-Twin motors. Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum Full Synthetic provides smoother shifting, reduces friction, offers tremendous lubrication and provides superior protection in extreme heat conditions. A.P.I. SF/SG – CD/CG - 4.
List Price: $15.00
Price: $10.95

Spectro Heavy Duty Engine Oil 20w50 1-qt
Spectro Heavy Duty Engine Oil 20w50 1-qt. Enter quantity of 12 for case discount. A superior motor lubricant designed specifically for use in American-made Harley® V-Twin engines. Crafted from superior petroleum stocks combined with the most advanced anti-wear, anti-carbon additive systems available, Spectro Heavy Duty extends component life, reduces wear, eliminates valve sticking. Meets all known OEM warranty requirements. Exceeds A.P.I. SF/SG – CD/CG - 4.
List Price: $8.66
Price: $6.65

Heavy Duty 25W-60

Spectro Heavy Duty Engine Oil is a superior motor lubricant designed specifically for use in American-made Harley® V-Twin engines. Crafted from superior petroleum stocks combined with the most advanced anti-wear, anti-carbon additive systems available, Spectro Heavy Duty extends component life, reduces wear, eliminates valve sticking. Meets all known OEM warranty requirements. Exceeds A.P.I. SF/SG – CD/CG - 4.
Be the first to review this product!
Price: $8.93

FEW MORE GOOD QUALITY SYN OILS FOR THE HD MOTOR ARE:

AVAIL AT AUTOZONE/ADVANCED AUTO/NAPA/WALMART/ETC.

MOBIL-1 20W-50 V-TWIN SYN

MOBIL-1 NASCAR ENDORSED 15W-50 SYN OIL

Old 01-24-2015, 07:10 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 333 Posts

wscott, do you own stock in Spectro? I'm having deja vu from the "Who runs gear oil in their transmission?" thread.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:01 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
wscott, do you own stock in Spectro? I'm having deja vu from the "Who runs gear oil in their transmission?" thread.
===================

NO!/LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes i did post same info in another thread trying to help someone out.

Scott

Old 01-25-2015, 12:12 PM
grapeapes
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As a new HD owner can I ask an honest question? I'm really not trying to start anything , I just wanted some clarification.

Why is the first thing everyone states on these threads is to get a service manual?
I could understand needing one for extensive maintenance, but for fluids and basic stuff that is already covered in the Operating Manual that came with the bike, why is that the first response?

I've been on other forums for Hondas and Suzukis, and for basic maintenance there are usually simple guides other owners have put together ( some with or without pics). But my main point is that I usually don't see anyone there recommending the service manual unless its something not covered in the MOM (like setting valve clearance and such.)

Is there something different about HDs that require the manual?

Old 01-25-2015, 12:46 PM
SavageChopper
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by grapeapes
As a new HD owner can I ask an honest question? I'm really not trying to start anything , I just wanted some clarification.

Why is the first thing everyone states on these threads is to get a service manual?
I could understand needing one for extensive maintenance, but for fluids and basic stuff that is already covered in the Operating Manual that came with the bike, why is that the first response?

I've been on other forums for Hondas and Suzukis, and for basic maintenance there are usually simple guides other owners have put together ( some with or without pics). But my main point is that I usually don't see anyone there recommending the service manual unless its something not covered in the MOM (like setting valve clearance and such.)

For simple fluid changes, I only use the manual to reference torque values. Cam changes were done using instructions downloaded from S&S. While a manual is a good thing to have for those of us that avoid the dealer, I don't feel it's necessary just for oil changes. But, how many of us ONLY change the oil?

Old 01-25-2015, 01:49 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

If you only want to change the substances in the three holes, you could probably get by with the owners manual, but the service intervals calls for many other things beyond that, which are not outlined in the owners manual. For those who want to do their own service, the service manual is a goldmine of information. That's why that statement is so frequent on threads that have service types of questions. The manual will more than offset its cost the first time you use it to perform work that you would have otherwise paid a mechanic to perform.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:22 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by grapeapes

I'm my experience, all forums I've been a member of has the guys preaching to buy a service manual. I think for the most part, it is an inexpensive reference tool. It seems like a lot of guys that frequent the forums get tired of seeing people start threads asking the same questions repeatedly. Especially for the really basic questions i.e.: how much oil? drain plug location? torque spec on drain plugs? blah blah blah. I think some guys also get offended because, just like people who wanna borrow tools because they are too cheap to buy their own, people want info for nothing that others paid for. Like I said just what I've seen over the years from being a member in forums like, VW, Jeep, Ford truck, Buell, and Harley. This forum, however, doesn't seem like the regulars get as offended as on some of the other boards.
Just my observation.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:15 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

totally agree -- I use the Walmart 15/50 for the past 47k miles on my 107 RG and 28k miles on 06 SG S&S 124 -- use belray severe gear in trans and harley primary fluid no big deal -- get greasy and have fun -- my bikes have not been to the dealer since the 1st service---with so many videos out there no immediate need for a service manual
Originally Posted by MikeBel
I'm not an expert, but just went through this same process recently for my bike. I read a lot of the threads. So here goes....

Do you have a shop manual? If not get one; a great $60 investment. I'm no master mechanic but I can follow directions and the manual will save you from guessing wrong about how to do something.

My manual called for the same fluid in all 3 holes as I recall. It did have a couple of grade choices depending on dyno or syn. I chose to use dyno from Rotella in all 3 holes. Some guys use different products in all 3 holes.

There's no added steps needed switching over from one type to the other. I mean really, the bottom line is to use recommended grades and you'll be fine.

A lot of guys here put on big miles and have refined what they like to use based on their riding habits, their bike, etc., which is great for them.

Just get started with a HD recommended fluid grade and work your way from there.

We get so worked up about this stuff. At the end of the day, it's really just an oil change.

Quick Reply: questions on starting my own maintenance and fluid changes