Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions on starting my own maintenance and fluid changes

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 07:20 AM
hemi1300
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default questions on starting my own maintenance and fluid changes

gonna purchase a j&s lift soon to start doing my own maintenance on my 14 sg, I know there are millions of "which oil is best" threads, little over bearing trying to read them all lol. Want to make the switch to full synthetic, probably gonna go with mobil 1 vtwin synthetic, think i can get it locally at advanced auto. Are any extra steps required when switching to full synthetic, or just drain oil like normal and fill her up. Little confused on oils for primary and transmission, engine and transmission take same oil but primary takes different? Or can i use the same synthetic for all 3? I apologize in advance for offending anybody in not doing a search for all these answers, just looking for some quick advice bc i want to start doing my own service instead of paying the dealer around $300

Old 01-24-2015, 07:36 AM
kmm4444
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, I would recommend the purchase of a service manual. There are a lot of good synthetic oils for the vtwin. Every rider has their own recommendations. Mobil 1 twin is a good product. You may consider using gear oil in the transmission. Do not forget to inspect/replace drain plug o-rings. There are many youtube links available for guidance in servicing your ride. Good luck.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:39 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Old 01-24-2015, 07:40 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Boy oh boy are you going to open the proverbial can of worms with this one. No worries, and congrats for wanting to do it yourself and do it right.

First off, if you haven't already, please do yourself a favor and spend the $65 for a specific service manual. That alone will save your countless questions and prevent mistakes. Take the time and read though it, it's not the most efficient book but the answers are in there if you take the time for research.

Oil?? You're going to hear it all. I agree with switching to synthetic and there's nothing special you need to do prior to doing so. Just dump the old oil, change the filter, examine the magnetic catch and O-rings (these don't need to be replaced unless you see signs or wear) on your drain plugs and reinsert the plugs to proper torque specs. Don't put too much oil in your engine right away, start off with 3 quarts, run your engine and check your dip stick and add more if required.

Now your going to hear why you should switch to a heavier gear oil in your transmission. Just make it easy on yourself and keep the same weight oil for your engine, transmission and primary. I can't imagine the millions of $$$$ that HD has spent for engineers to legally recommend the wrong oil for your MC. What's important is that you stick with an oil made specifically for a motorcycle. Examine the service duty specifications. Basically you want something rated API SG, JASO MA/MA2. Anything less and HD may not honor your warranty if needed. You'll notice HD doesn't even list their oil specifications other that 20w50.

I use AMSOIL because I can a case of 20w50 Advanced Synthetic MC Oil for about $104. That's right about $8.60 a quart and you can't beat that price for a good qualify synthetic oil. I get that price because I'm a preferred customer and I pick up my products and a local warehouse for both my car and MC.

Good luck ... Now I'm getting some popcorn!!!

Old 01-24-2015, 07:41 AM
hemi1300
Road Captain

Thanks, definitely plan on picking up a service manual and spare orings. Watched a video this morning and looks pretty simple to change all 3 fluids. So u recommend gear oil for the tranny and the same 20w50 oil for engine and primary?

Old 01-24-2015, 07:44 AM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hemi1300
gonna purchase a j&s lift soon to start doing my own maintenance on my 14 sg, I know there are millions of "which oil is best" threads, little over bearing trying to read them all lol. Want to make the switch to full synthetic, probably gonna go with mobil 1 vtwin synthetic, think i can get it locally at advanced auto. Are any extra steps required when switching to full synthetic, or just drain oil like normal and fill her up. Little confused on oils for primary and transmission, engine and transmission take same oil but primary takes different? Or can i use the same synthetic for all 3? I apologize in advance for offending anybody in not doing a search for all these answers, just looking for some quick advice bc i want to start doing my own service instead of paying the dealer around $300
Mobil 1 works fine in the engine, Walmart stocks the V-Twin 20-50 version. Do yourself a favor a get a replacement filter with the nut on the end. An old plastic bottle cut lengthwise to fit under the filter like a funnel will help divert oil to a catch pan when removing the filter.

As for the tranny I use Bel-Ray Big Twin oil, and Rev Tech primary lube in the primary.

With what you save, change all 3 with the engine oil and fuhgeddaboutit.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:48 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,494 Likes on 637 Posts

I'm not an expert, but just went through this same process recently for my bike. I read a lot of the threads. So here goes....

Do you have a shop manual? If not get one; a great $60 investment. I'm no master mechanic but I can follow directions and the manual will save you from guessing wrong about how to do something.

My manual called for the same fluid in all 3 holes as I recall. It did have a couple of grade choices depending on dyno or syn. I chose to use dyno from Rotella in all 3 holes. Some guys use different products in all 3 holes.

There's no added steps needed switching over from one type to the other. I mean really, the bottom line is to use recommended grades and you'll be fine.

A lot of guys here put on big miles and have refined what they like to use based on their riding habits, their bike, etc., which is great for them.

Just get started with a HD recommended fluid grade and work your way from there.

We get so worked up about this stuff. At the end of the day, it's really just an oil change.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:53 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I second WalMart for Mobil1. Runs $9.97 a quart, with no "membership" or "preferred customer" crap. I used to run Amsoil, and have no qualms with it, other than availability.

Also agree with the filter with a nut... it is a K&N, and available at Auto Zone, I believe it is the 171c model.

I run syn gear oil in the trans, Amsoil SevereGear 75-110, specifically, but any of the others mentioned will suit just as well.

A "PRIMARY fluid" in the primary. Your choice which you like. HD Formula+ is good, my personal preference is Red Line Syn primary fluid.

The most important things are the pride in doing it yourself, and the money you will save doing it. All parts, oil, filters, Orings... together wont' be more than $60 or $70, What's the dealer charge?

Last edited by SafetyMan; 01-24-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:54 AM
hemi1300
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MikeBel
I'm not an expert, but just went through this same process recently for my bike. I read a lot of the threads. So here goes....

Do you have a shop manual? If not get one; a great $60 investment. I'm no master mechanic but I can follow directions and the manual will save you from guessing wrong about how to do something.

My manual called for the same fluid in all 3 holes as I recall. It did have a couple of grade choices depending on dyno or syn. I chose to use dyno from Rotella in all 3 holes. Some guys use different products in all 3 holes.

There's no added steps needed switching over from one type to the other. I mean really, the bottom line is to use recommended grades and you'll be fine.

A lot of guys here put on big miles and have refined what they like to use based on their riding habits, their bike, etc., which is great for them.

Just get started with a HD recommended fluid grade and work your way from there.

We get so worked up about this stuff. At the end of the day, it's really just an oil change.
I agree, don't really care what oil I run as long as it's the right viscosity, known name brand, and readily available. Any reason to just stick with harley's syn3, seems a bit over priced to me

Old 01-24-2015, 08:03 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

IRT motor/tranny/clutch fluids, my philosophy doesn't always match others:

1. Engine oil is for engines (I use M1 20W/50 V-Twin Synth)
2. Tranny oil's for tranny (I use Spectro 6-speed GO)
3. Primary oil's for clutch (I use Spectro Primary oil)

Use what you wish and don't get offended by all the oil thread haters...this place is a treasure trove of good/bad/funny/serious advice. Ride-on!

Quick Reply: questions on starting my own maintenance and fluid changes