Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Use that Loctite on everything!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 09:43 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Use that Loctite on everything!

Yesterday, the temps in Kansas City were in the mid/upper 50's, so I had to get the RK out for a run down the highway. I put about 100 miles on her, then stopped for some good barbque before going home. Sounds like a fun afternoon right? Well it was, up until I left the restaurant and got back out onto the highway and started to settle in at about 70 mph ... I stretched out my legs to the highway pegs... and that's when I discovered that my left peg was completely missing! I knew it was there when I parked at the restaurant, so I turned around at the next exit and went all the way back to the restaurant and started backtracking my route... Well, I found it on the road, but it had been run over several times so the chrome is completely pitted and scratched. So, looks like I'll be replacing my pegs now.

So, when I got home, I grabbed the peg on the right side and shook it to see if it was loose ... and it came off in my hand, the bolt was gone. I put those pegs on about two years ago and normally would have used Loctite, but apparently did not. These pegs were $60 for the pair, DAMMIT!

So, just a heads up, use that Loctite on everything.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails Use that Loctite on everything!-left-peg.jpg   Use that Loctite on everything!-left-peg-mount.jpg   Use that Loctite on everything!-right-peg.jpg  
Old 01-25-2015, 09:47 AM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I ALMOST lost my extended passenger pegs a few weeks ago. I discovered they were loose doing a check over in my garage. So all bolts got a liberal dose of loctite

Old 01-25-2015, 09:52 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

In the commercial driving world it's called a "walk around" ... take the time ( periodically ) to check all the fasteners ... It could save you big money and more

Old 01-25-2015, 09:58 AM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The cars behind you love when stuff flies off.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:04 AM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Use the breakaway strength (blue) loctite, not the red stuff. Unless you enjoy making extra work for yourself when you frequently tear down your ride for winter mods.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:11 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

locktite cures with heat ( otherwise it stays gummy)

so great for motor parts

for other parts which don;t get that heat, I paint the threads with nail polish.

works great

Mike

Old 01-25-2015, 10:29 AM
not yours
Club Member
Received 2,710 Likes on 862 Posts
Default Use that Loctite on everything!

I just put a pair of passenger floorboard covers but wouldn't you know it, the self tappers broke so I had to use nut and bolts.
I used selflocking nuts AND locktite. Over kill maybe, but I've lost to many custom parts in the past.

Last edited by not yours; 01-25-2015 at 10:32 AM. Reason: not right
Old 01-25-2015, 10:32 AM
jstrenn
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar

so great for motor parts

for other parts which don;t get that heat, I paint the threads with nail polish.

works great

Mike
That's funny, cause this is directly from the Locktite website

"Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242® is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242® is particularly suited for applications on less active substrates such as stainless steel and plated surfaces, where disassembly is required for servicing."

Old 01-25-2015, 10:34 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

i would just put the ran over part back on, it's has a story behind it and it will still do what it's suppose to do.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:49 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar

so great for motor parts

works great

Mike
heat actually is one of the few way to make loc-tite easier to remove...

Quick Reply: Use that Loctite on everything!