Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 09:10 PM
roger scarcliff
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not luggging the bike. In first gear just going thru the gears I could understand if i was lugging the bike but its in first gear no lugging and its making the noise. Sorry that i didnt explain the situation in more detail but i tried to think of things that i maybe doing to contribute to the noise and also tried to imagine the noise not being there. I once owned a Jeep Cherokee and noticed a ticking sound, was told by the dealer that it was normal noise. Kept pressing the issue then was told by factory rep that it was normal piston slap. A year later get a notice of a class action suit involving the piston slap issue. That story taught me not to ignore abnormal engine noises. FYI, this is my fifth HD, other 4 never made this type of noise

Old 01-25-2015, 10:16 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roger scarcliff
That story taught me not to ignore abnormal engine noises. FYI, this is my fifth HD, other 4 never made this type of noise
Hard to say exactly what's causing a 'noise' and whether it's, or can be, an issue. I will say that I've had four Ultra's, starting with the 2002 model-year thru my current 2010, all four have had a 'noise', like ticking, that starts at about 1,800 RPM and higher. It's easily heard with a ¾ helmet and the stereo on.

If it happens to be that exact noise, I know there are threads here on the subject and the consensus has always been 'it's normal'. While I'm not a fan of saying that, at least for my noise and bike, I call it normal.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:14 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
He didn't ask for oil help. He asked for help with a noise. Half of your posts here are a commercial for Spectro. Oil is oil. Get over it...He may have motor issues but the oil he is using is not one of them...
=============

Mouth,your quite the guy aren't ya!!!/LOL!!!!

Many gusy have posted here in this forum stating when they went fro m std dino to sfull syn they heard more valvetrain and or engine nose in general which i have also fond to be the case in my + decades wrenching bikes/muscle cars so was asking what oil hes running for a good reason though you dont know enough to realiz it.

I never started anything with you,you and you big " MOUITH" as you call yourself because your afraid to use your real name for an id started crap with me no good reason other then becuse i posting oil rec 1x-2x tops when guys here had posted asking for oil rec's and it bothered you,BOOHOO!!!!,sorry it stressed you to read it!!!!!.

So you need to mind your own buisness and not bother to read my posts trying to help guys here wher your just a BIG " MOUTH " as you call yourself and if you dont like when i post oil rec to people that are asking for them then thats just too bad for you now isnt it.

Happy motoring and dont fall down on you bike being all pissed reading my oil rec' to guys that asked them!!!/LOL!!!!

And BTW,i wasnt rec any oil in my post trying to help this out either like you said & dont know where you got that from too!!!!/LOL!!!

You are some piece of work!!!!!

THAT'S THE END OF THIS , ENOUGH SAID!

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 01-25-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:30 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

I am not luggging the bike. In first gear just going thru the gears I could understand if i was lugging the bike but its in first gear no lugging and its making the noise. Sorry that i didnt explain the situation in more detail but i tried to think of things that i maybe doing to contribute to the noise and also tried to imagine the noise not being there. I once owned a Jeep Cherokee and noticed a ticking sound, was told by the dealer that it was normal noise. Kept pressing the issue then was told by factory rep that it was normal piston slap. A year later get a notice of a class action suit involving the piston slap issue. That story taught me not to ignore abnormal engine noises. FYI, this is my fifth HD, other 4 never made this type of noise
==============

Well since you owned 4 othjer HD's in the past you would know if its not a normal noise HD motors make esp since you said it was so noisy you heard the noise fro your bike motor coming off a truck next to you in traffic that had to be pretty loud & noticable that i would not consider avg everyday normal valvetrain noise even for a Twin cam motor..

But thats talking stock cams & not a hi compression modified motor with aftermarket perf cams etc.

Hope it doesnt do more damage riding to have dealer or local wrench check it out,i am very cursious to hear back from what the problem turns out to be.

I hope it turns out to be something that's come loose jingling / knocking around making noise from motor virbration esp at idle when it shakes quite a lot like when you were hearing the noise bouncing off a truck next to you in traffic.

Good luck & dont forget to post back what the problem turns out to be.

Scott

Old 01-26-2015, 05:44 AM
roger scarcliff
Advanced

Thanks for all of the responses. On one of the bikes I owned had a mild cam installed which increased the valve train noise, so I am familiar with the somewhat so called "normal" noises. Scott, you probably described the noise better than I did. It does sort of sound as if something loose jingling/knocking around. That is the reason for my concern and the main reason for the post. I am well aware of trying to describe noises and or problems over the phone or Internet and how frustrating it can be for both parties. I was just hoping that someone would say, I had that problem, it was the flux capacitor!!! Off to the dealer to see if they can figure out the source of this darn noise. I will post when I get the answer.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:06 AM
wscott
Road Warrior

Thanks for all of the responses. On one of the bikes I owned had a mild cam installed which increased the valve train noise, so I am familiar with the somewhat so called "normal" noises. Scott, you probably described the noise better than I did. It does sort of sound as if something loose jingling/knocking around. That is the reason for my concern and the main reason for the post. I am well aware of trying to describe noises and or problems over the phone or Internet and how frustrating it can be for both parties. I was just hoping that someone would say, I had that problem, it was the flux capacitor!!! Off to the dealer to see if they can figure out the source of this darn noise. I will post when I get the answer.
==============

Roger,i cant wait to find out what this turns out be and hope for your sake its something easy and inexpensive to fix!

So dont forget to post back with a followup in this same thread to let us know the outcome.

Good luck.

BTW,we are bracing for 18-24" of snow here in the north east/ NY !

My bike is all warm & cozy in the garage ,but i wont be when out in the driveway trying to clean the 18-24" mess up!/LOL!!!

scott

Old 01-26-2015, 11:16 AM
roger scarcliff
Advanced

I noticed that there was a little play in shifter linkage where it mounts\rides to the front side of the engine. After yankning and pulling on things to see if anything was loose. Will tighten that up a bit and see what happens, but knowing my luck that wont solve the problem. Will take it out for a spin tomorrow when I get off of work to see if the dreaded noise is still present after tighthening the shifter. If still present, will have to ride it to the dealer. Forecast tomorrow is a nice 77 degrees down here in ol San Antone Tx. We have four seasons in S. Texas, Summer, lite summer, Christmas and lite summer lol

Old 01-26-2015, 11:35 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

roger, yep have seen that many times where linkage or arm under the floorboard tapping,exhaust, loose console lid.there could be alot of reasons.heres some other:comp which sounds more like a clapping,tappets(lifters) sound just like valves.heres another one:the decrative cover on the cam cover.These things **** me off but usually something simple .

hope this helped good luck

Old 01-26-2015, 11:39 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott
=============

Mouth,your quite the guy aren't ya!!!/LOL!!!!

Many gusy have posted here in this forum stating when they went fro m std dino to sfull syn they heard more valvetrain and or engine nose in general which i have also fond to be the case in my + decades wrenching bikes/muscle cars so was asking what oil hes running for a good reason though you dont know enough to realiz it.

I never started anything with you,you and you big " MOUITH" as you call yourself because your afraid to use your real name for an id started crap with me no good reason other then becuse i posting oil rec 1x-2x tops when guys here had posted asking for oil rec's and it bothered you,BOOHOO!!!!,sorry it stressed you to read it!!!!!.

So you need to mind your own buisness and not bother to read my posts trying to help guys here wher your just a BIG " MOUTH " as you call yourself and if you dont like when i post oil rec to people that are asking for them then thats just too bad for you now isnt it.

Happy motoring and dont fall down on you bike being all pissed reading my oil rec' to guys that asked them!!!/LOL!!!!

And BTW,i wasnt rec any oil in my post trying to help this out either like you said & dont know where you got that from too!!!!/LOL!!!

You are some piece of work!!!!!

THAT'S THE END OF THIS , ENOUGH SAID!

Scott
It's the end when I decide it is...just what we needed...another keyboard commando bad@ss...you don't know me. Feel free to PM if you want to talk any further...

Old 01-26-2015, 11:47 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Not saying this is the fix but I have found noises in the strangest places. I would look for anything that may have come loose or covered with dirt. I usually have a 2nd bike at the cabin and the driveway is 6/10 mile of gravel. From time to time I get strange noises and here are some of them;

1 - First check all hose clamps on all exhaust covers for a broken or loose clamp

2 - Sometimes I will get strange noises that are actually the rubbers on the bottom of the bags, remove bag and spray with silicone spray.

3 - Sometimes I get noises out of the muffler hanger rubbers, again clean and lubricate rubber on hanger with silicone spray.

4 - And other times I get dirt and mud around the front motor mount so when the motor is bouncing a thud can be heard, I spray the crap out of the front mount area with a garden hose and again silicone spray for the rubber.

Quick Reply: Engine noise