Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a 95 upgrade. Got questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:32 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
When my 02 Dyna was our primary two up bike I had the 95" kit and 203 cams installed. Didn't do any head work or compression work (shave heads), the bike would walk away from the then standard 96" engines. Real good seat of the pants pull and roll on acceleration. The 02 is my daily driver and manages the traffic real well. Since the BB was installed I've also put the hybrid cam plate/SE oil pump in and quite happy with those results.
203s are not 204s...

Old 01-27-2015, 07:52 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Thanks for the info fellas! I think I'll take the advice of calling a vendor and letting them build me a kit based on my cam. I'll also look into gettin the jugs bores versus replacing them.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:06 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I would prefer to do the work myself to save a few bucks. I'm confident in my abilities and with the proper tools I know it'll be a piece of cake.

Do you have any recommendations as far as compression ratios or aftermarket kits?
It's not a difficult job. Just take your time and have the service manual handy.

I'm not sure what compression the 203's like, but I'm sure there are many here that do. You will need to have the cylinders bored. If you don't have a good local shop, consider one of the forum sponsors or members that have a good reputation here. They can also advise what compression will work best.

Hillside Cycle and Fuel Moto have excellent reputations here, as does Kirby Apathy of Vee Twin Performance.

Check them out:

www.hillsidecycle.com

http://www.veetwinperformance.com/

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/

Old 01-27-2015, 10:55 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I would think about adding some automatic compression releases while apart. Easy on the starter.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:33 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigheadted
I would think about adding some automatic compression releases while apart. Easy on the starter.
Are there a lot of folks with 95 engines that are having starter failures? I haven't heard of any...

Old 01-28-2015, 12:51 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member

I just got off the phone with Scott at Hillside Cycles. He said a 98 kit and their stage 1 heads would run me about $1250 plus shipping. I would need to send them my jugs and heads, they would do their thing to them, and they would sent them back with the pistons already ringed and with everything else I would need to do the swap.

Sound good?

Old 01-28-2015, 01:56 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I just got off the phone with Scott at Hillside Cycles. He said a 98 kit and their stage 1 heads would run me about $1250 plus shipping. I would need to send them my jugs and heads, they would do their thing to them, and they would sent them back with the pistons already ringed and with everything else I would need to do the swap.

Sound good?
Sounds good. It's a complete solution, and it will make some serious power. You may as well do the heads while its apart.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:19 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

And do what exactly to the heads? I've heard the 06 and up heads are preferred to your (and my) pre 06 heads.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:56 PM
BlackMarshmallow
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
If there was one thing I'd do different with my setup, this would be it.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:58 PM
BlackMarshmallow
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
And do what exactly to the heads? I've heard the 06 and up heads are preferred to your (and my) pre 06 heads.
The second thing I might do different is send my 06 heads to Big Boyz. Only after putting it all back together with the 'ported' heads I got, I found them and in reading their site, discovered they do the ports the way I really wanted them done in the first place. Too late now though.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 95 upgrade. Got questions.