Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a 95 upgrade. Got questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 01:49 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 994 Likes on 591 Posts
Question Thinking about a 95 upgrade. Got questions.

I currently have the stock 88 motor on my 2004 FLHRI. I recently upgraded to the SE hydraulic cam tensioner kit and went with SE204 cams at the same time. The lifters were replaced, SE adjustable pushrods were installed, along with the SE clutch spring. The bike was dyno-tuned with the SE performance tuner. Everything was done at the dealership. I already had a K&N air filter and MGS True Duals installed.

I'm kicking around the idea of upgrading to a BB kit. I'm thinking 95. My idea is to just swap out the jugs and pistons and then have it retuned. I understand that I'll need some special tools, gaskets, and other misc items to do this. I have a service manual to assist in the labor.

I've seen that some folks don't care for the SE BB kits and have chosen to go the aftermarket route. I'm looking to get the most bang for my buck so any recommendations would be appreciated. I'm not looking for a speed-demon, just a little more power. So I'm not really interested in doing a bunch of expensive head work.

Is there anything else I should consider or is this a pretty straight forward upgrade.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:31 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I currently have the stock 88 motor on my 2004 FLHRI. I recently upgraded to the SE hydraulic cam tensioner kit and went with SE204 cams at the same time. The lifters were replaced, SE adjustable pushrods were installed, along with the SE clutch spring. The bike was dyno-tuned with the SE performance tuner. Everything was done at the dealership. I already had a K&N air filter and MGS True Duals installed.

I'm kicking around the idea of upgrading to a BB kit. I'm thinking 95. My idea is to just swap out the jugs and pistons and then have it retuned. I understand that I'll need some special tools, gaskets, and other misc items to do this. I have a service manual to assist in the labor.

I've seen that some folks don't care for the SE BB kits and have chosen to go the aftermarket route. I'm looking to get the most bang for my buck so any recommendations would be appreciated. I'm not looking for a speed-demon, just a little more power. So I'm not really interested in doing a bunch of expensive head work.

Is there anything else I should consider or is this a pretty straight forward upgrade.

All you need is to do the jugs, pistons and rings. HD or aftermarket will work. You may have more choice of compression ratio's with aftermarket parts.

If I were doing it, I'd go with a local performance shop or one of our online sponsors and go with their choice of pistons when they bore the cylinders. They will usually fit the pistons and rings as part of the process.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:04 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 994 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrider1
All you need is to do the jugs, pistons and rings. HD or aftermarket will work. You may have more choice of compression ratio's with aftermarket parts.

If I were doing it, I'd go with a local performance shop or one of our online sponsors and go with their choice of pistons when they bore the cylinders. They will usually fit the pistons and rings as part of the process.
I would prefer to do the work myself to save a few bucks. I'm confident in my abilities and with the proper tools I know it'll be a piece of cake.

Do you have any recommendations as far as compression ratios or aftermarket kits?

Old 01-26-2015, 03:10 PM
maverick2076
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the S&S 97" kit on my Springer and was very happy with it.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:45 PM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

I would find a set of '06 up take off heads and at least set the compression. Your gains will be minimal without some type of headwork. The most economical way is use the SE flat tops and have your cylinders bored at the local HD. Mine only charges $160 for the pair.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:07 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Subscribed.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:15 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Big Bore kit from Hillside Cycle, a sponsor in here. 98", jugs, custom pistons machined to your cam specs, fitted rings installed, full Cometic gasket kit and all the help from them you can ask for. About $650, but that was 2 years ago. Scott is a great guy to talk with, he won't try to sell you anything you don't want. Can't say enough about my experience.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:46 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QC
Big Bore kit from Hillside Cycle, a sponsor in here. 98", jugs, custom pistons machined to your cam specs, fitted rings installed, full Cometic gasket kit and all the help from them you can ask for. About $650, but that was 2 years ago. Scott is a great guy to talk with, he won't try to sell you anything you don't want. Can't say enough about my experience.
Yea, I would suggest you talk with one of the sponsors here. They will work out a deal for you and supply you with all the gaskets/parts you need.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:40 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Pull your jugs and get them bored to matching pistons. Ya ought to look to end up about 200ccp with 204s. Headwork or at least some latter heads would be an excellent call too.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:31 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

When my 02 Dyna was our primary two up bike I had the 95" kit and 203 cams installed. Didn't do any head work or compression work (shave heads), the bike would walk away from the then standard 96" engines. Real good seat of the pants pull and roll on acceleration. The 02 is my daily driver and manages the traffic real well. Since the BB was installed I've also put the hybrid cam plate/SE oil pump in and quite happy with those results.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 95 upgrade. Got questions.