Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lane Splitting Bill in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:47 AM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

I wish you all luck in getting lane splitting legal there. I agree it's good to have the option to lane split in the heat and traffic. I don't understand riders that don't want lane splitting legalized, no one ever has to do it but I'll bet even the naysayers will do it when traffic is completely stopped and it is over 100 degrees out.

A few years ago, a lane splitting bill passed the House and Senate here in Arizona. It only applied to high population areas like Maricopa County (Phoenix area) but it didn't matter because the Governor vetoed it.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:51 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

I also have no dog in the fight coming from Michigan, But the only way i would do a lane splitting was if i was stuck in traffic in a construction zone where there was no cross traffic and i was sitting for a long time other then that I can wait for traffic to move along. I watch my mirrors when i stop and leave a escape route to dive into if somebody was to bear down on me while they're trying to stop. That being said I did get rear ended by a box truck when i first got my old bike. Problem is we had all stopped at the light safely but when it turned green a cop was coming thru with his lights on to go to another accident and the truck driver only saw a green light in front of him and hit the gas and then hit me.

Batman

Old 01-28-2015, 09:18 AM
brett2413
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like choice and freedom, don't like lane splitting.
But I live by what my Grandad told me. "Without CHOICE you have no FREEDOM"
That man was and still is my hero.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:21 AM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

"I'm at Ft Hood Tx. Iwouldn't lane split here even if it was legal. So many different people here from all over and drive like sh** to begin with, i'm not going to end up as a door reflector!"

Yes, same place..what he said!

Old 01-28-2015, 09:50 AM
db252
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking from CA, I couldn't imagine not having the ability to lane split. Traffic out here is horrendous in all areas of the state but I'm sure that many cities in all states suffer that same attribute. We also have a hodgepodge of nationalities out here as well that have no driving skills nor will it seem that they ever will. You will find bikers that split in a safer manner than others and you will see your share of richards that blaze through at an unsafe speed that allows no time for reaction which has ended up deadly on plenty of occasion. I believe the law out here is you are able to split lanes up to 35mph. You can choose to split or not but I will say it is a rarity to see a bike moving with stop and go traffic.
If your law passes, there is nothing that changes for you if you choose not to split; ride as you have always ridden. If someone I ride with is uncomfortable splitting lanes then I don't split. There are plenty of things I don't like about this state but riding weather and lane splitting aren't two of them. Be safe.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:28 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

No dog in the hunt but i would be in favor. I travel the US fairly extensively With my job and its a choice you want but do not have to exercise if it makes you uncomfortable

I do it now in states where it is illegal if im stopped in traffic. My personal safety is above what politicians think. I would rather pay the fine vs being run over by a cager talking on a da#$! cell phone!

Old 01-28-2015, 10:52 AM
ramblin5
Road Master

Received 217 Likes on 110 Posts

Did a 50cc out to San Diego a couple of years ago and then a leisurely trip up to LA and the PCH on to the Oregon border. Did a lot of lane splitting between San Diego and LA (morning rush hour traffic) and then again in rush hour out of Eureka. I stopped lane splitting once a madman on a FLSTC (with a passenger) came through splitting my lane splitting. He must have been doing 60 when he came by and my life flashed before me. I won't say never again to lane splitting where it's legal, but it will have to be a real emergency to get me to do it.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:28 AM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I read the bill and think it's a good one. It doesn't limit our ability for helmet choice and keeps the speed under 20 and less than 5 mph faster than the traffic. I could go for a little faster, maybe 30 instead of 20. There are portions of my commute that this would make good sense and can be done safe. There is also one traffic light where it can take up to 15 minutes just to make a left turn. I'd love to be able to scoot right up to the front of the line.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:07 PM
Corn Born
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Lane Sharing is approved it does not mean it is mandatory.....You don't have to share lanes....You can ride like you are today. So you have a choice.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:20 PM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Being new to Cali, lane splitting is something that really takes some getting used to. As a rider and also when I'm in my cage. You can definitely tell that people who live out here are used to it. They role through at a pretty good pace. Coming back from Vegas on a Sunday a few months ago, I think I split lanes for about 50 miles.

Quick Reply: Lane Splitting Bill in Texas