Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lane Splitting Bill in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:47 AM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lane Splitting Bill in Texas

Not sure where this thread goes so I posted it here. Since last summer I've worked with my local State Rep on filing a bill to allow lane splitting in Texas. We already got some press on it this week.
Check it out: http://www.texastribune.org/2015/01/...orcycle-bills/

Old 01-28-2015, 08:02 AM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for sharing! We need something like that here in Ga.,, traffic is awful in metro Atlanta, but cages here are terrible about pulling out & cutting each other off,, I donno how that would work here. If drivers cant see a car before pulling out,,,,,,,,, you know the rest,,,
Im guessin the lawyers would be lovin it!

Old 01-28-2015, 08:05 AM
cyclgoat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm at Ft Hood Tx. Iwouldn't lane split here even if it was legal. So many different people here from all over and drive like sh** to begin with, i'm not going to end up as a door reflector!

Old 01-28-2015, 08:20 AM
Herksuper
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't get why people want to do this. Your putting yourself at more risk of being clipped...all to save a few minutes. No thanks...wouldn't do it if it WAS legal.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:21 AM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

So the majority of us bikers are against lane splitting in TX. Our local clubs have been fighting it for years. There hasn't been a version of a lane splitting bill to date here that didn't have a rider to revert our standing no helmet law. Each time the politicians say let's give Texans lane splitting as a means to mandate helmet use.

Personally, I wear a helmet. I also believe in choice. There are a lot of bikers here that would be very upset to be told that they have to wear one now. Lane splitting is just not worth it if the cost is our choice.

Maybe this version of the bill is clear of a helmet rider attachment, but I bet it gets added on before the bill gets a vote. My two cents.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:24 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Last October I was rear ended at a stop sign by a Suburban. I would lane split if I could. I got the call yesterday, and my bike is finally done and will be home tomorrow. In stopped traffic, I would shoot the gap, no problem.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:30 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm a fan, and I like the 20mph deal in it. San Antonio traffic can be brutal, and this would help especially in the 100+ degree summer months.

I support choice in helmets, don't personally wear one, unless it's raining, or I'm in a nanny state.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:31 AM
maverick2076
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ganooch
So the majority of us bikers are against lane splitting in TX. Our local clubs have been fighting it for years. There hasn't been a version of a lane splitting bill to date here that didn't have a rider to revert our standing no helmet law. Each time the politicians say let's give Texans lane splitting as a means to mandate helmet use.

Personally, I wear a helmet. I also believe in choice. There are a lot of bikers here that would be very upset to be told that they have to wear one now. Lane splitting is just not worth it if the cost is our choice.

Maybe this version of the bill is clear of a helmet rider attachment, but I bet it gets added on before the bill gets a vote. My two cents.

Maybe some people would like to have the choice to lane split. You don't have to do it if they make it legal. And I wouldn't say the majority of bikers in TX are against it. Maybe your local clubs have fought against it, but plenty of clubs here in Houston have also been fighting for it. Nobody wants a mandatory helmet law along with it, but plenty of people do want a legitimate legal path to lane-splitting.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:36 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I still think there's a difference in "filtering" and "splitting". I'm all for filtering. But once traffic starts moving, I'm not so sure one should continue "splitting". I'd vote for a bill that allowed it but I'd only "filter" anyway. Let others commit suicide "splitting". Of course I guess that means I'd be pissing some dude off behind me. But I can deal with him. This is Texas after all. Most of use ARE prepared. Let the war begin.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:40 AM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting. I have no dog in this fight as I live in maryland. If I were in Texas I would vote in favor of.

Quick Reply: Lane Splitting Bill in Texas