Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG auxiliary lights, to have or not to have, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 04:40 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
I can see that you had your 12 year old evidently typed it for you also.
i had been doing quite a few 12oz curls that night. glad this thread was the worst thing that happened

Old 01-29-2015, 06:27 PM
Springerfan
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default aux lights on a SG

Must be a lot of non Street Glide owners responding. I cannot believe that I am in the minority on this but take them off. There are lots better looking ways to add better lighting to the front of a Street Glide.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:45 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Get them in black and LED you will be done in one shot look good and perform even better have the tech to program to stay on low and high beam it helps a lot at night.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:45 PM
zproud
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine, cvo ones

Attached Thumbnails SG auxiliary lights, to have or not to have, that is the question-image.jpg  
Old 01-29-2015, 09:14 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

with and without

Old 01-29-2015, 10:46 PM
mikygspot
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you need more lights, change your bulb to LEDs.

I have a 14 SG spec. I previously owned a 12 RK and had the Aux lights on it. They did not help that much in my opinion (with stock bulbs), until I converted everything to HID. It's allot of work to convert them, and they produce allot of light. But too much glare for incoming riders and they hated me for them.
When I traded the RK for my SG, it was evident that those original bulbs Harley uses in their bikes royally sucked, so I again tried and converted the headlight to HIDs. The problem with HIDs is that it takes a while to warm up. Great for low beam - sucks for high beam. Also, they create allot of heat, which really cook those bugs on your lens which makes it a nightmare to clean. And once again, way too much glare. Plus, some states are currently considering banning HIDs on motorvehicles unless they are used with projectors.
So I decided to try LED bulbs. Not the $400+ light kit that you buy at Harley's or other kits out there (which I don't like the look of them), but just the light bulb itself. I bought a set of "2015 - 60W 7600LM Cree LED Headlight Set 30W/Bulbs/H11" on Ebay for $80. Each bulbs are 30W, H11(for 14 SG), super white (5500k). They are super bright, cooler running, instant on and off, with no glare (once re-adjusted).
The only thing you'll have to do is go for a night ride with the headlight ring off so you can easily re-adjust your lights. With those lights, you won't need Aux-light on your ride as these LEDs are much brighter than anything out there. A buddy of mine has the Harley LED headlight kit so we've compared our bike lights. Mine was brighter overall, wider (by looking at the ditches), and has a longer high beam reach. So for less than ¼ of his price, I have something better, and looks so freaking cool.
Don't waste your money, try changing your bulbs first with those LED lights.

Just my 2-cents.

Last edited by mikygspot; 01-29-2015 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-30-2015, 01:13 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Looks good with 'em on escalade. Chrome lowers will make everything nice and shiny.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:23 AM
Bikeagraman
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a '13 Street Glide, and I have the aux lights. I converted all lights to LEDs and love the brightness.

I bought the SG for its clean lines, but since I commute with my bike almost daily and I also do lots of long rides on weekends, it means I ride in the dark a lot. On major freeways you don't need the aux lights, even at night, because the highways in Silicon Valley are well lit. However, my weekend rides are on back-country roads and winding mountain roads, the aux lights make a world of difference.

Clean lines or not, I am keeping my aux lights on the bike. When it comes to safety (seeing and being seen), I choose function over form.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:04 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

I have them, but I like the look and definitely like the extra light they throw out. I upgraded the headlight to LED and have the LED passing lamps as well. I live in the city, but my neighborhood is deer central and I wouldn't be without them. I will say that they look better with some colors and stick out more wih others.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:16 AM
nuages
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running the LED auxiliary lights plus dynamic ringz.....I really value my safety above the looks of the bike. On dark country roads I need all the light I can get and it sure means the cagers can see you coming a lot more easily

Quick Reply: SG auxiliary lights, to have or not to have, that is the question