Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam chain tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 04:35 PM
Timex
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam chain tensioners

Any stories about failing cam chain tensioners? If I replace mine, any thoughts on Cam upgrades while the bike is down? HD upgraded Hydraulic? I already have a stage 1 upgrade on my '06 88 inch FLHX. Thanks...

Old 01-29-2015, 04:50 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Yes they fail and yes it is very expensive. I think Hyd ones started in '06?? If so they are better but should still be checked around 50K imho. Spring one checked around 20K and replaced with Cyco shoes. I'm a fan of Andrews 26 in stage 1 88s but your '06 heads will handle 48s, which may be a better choice.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:56 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Timex
Any stories about failing cam chain tensioners? Thanks...
How much time ya got LOL

Old 01-29-2015, 06:50 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

If you can go gear drive, you will never have to worry about any tensioners failing

Toby

Old 01-29-2015, 07:19 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I had to replace an engine after tensioner failure, because extended said it was cheaper than a rebuild. Now that they don't have the reman program it would probably cost close to the same.
I personally would do Andrews conversion cams, get an 07 cam plate, and use the new style chains, and tensioners, the new style of chain is a roller type chain , and will wear to the rollers ,and pretty much stop. You still should open it, and check them at 50-60k though.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:49 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill03E
.... You still should open it, and check them at 50-60k though.
..... 47,000 ...... & glad i did it when i did

Old 01-29-2015, 08:56 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Just fixed one last week.
32K on the bike and it ate the Primary tensioner all the way to metal.
Orange crap and metal everywhere...

Cost around 500 to fix with my free labor.

+1 on the Andrews 26

Old 01-30-2015, 05:50 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

I did this upgrade on the cheap, using a take off low mile 07 cam plate that someone was replacing with a billet plate. I also used Andrews cams, but went with 21N's instead of 26. Not only do you lose the spring loaded tensioners, but you get a better oil pump. I reused the original pushrods to save money but it's more work to do it that way. You will need some specific tools, most notably the cam bearing puller/installation tool.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:57 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
I did this upgrade on the cheap, using a take off low mile 07 cam plate that someone was replacing with a billet plate. I also used Andrews cams, but went with 21N's instead of 26. Not only do you lose the spring loaded tensioners, but you get a better oil pump. I reused the original pushrods to save money but it's more work to do it that way. You will need some specific tools, most notably the cam bearing puller/installation tool.
John, just for my education because I know this will come up with a few friends bikes - again - when you go to the 07 Cam plate can you reuse the stock Cams and Cam gears?
Those cams are usually pressed into bearings which are pressed into the Cam plate. With the 07 they just slip into the Cam plate right? The stock cams will just slip in (no pressing) or do I need a different 07 style cam or something?

Thanks for any light on this subject.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:33 AM
senna
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
John, just for my education because I know this will come up with a few friends bikes - again - when you go to the 07 Cam plate can you reuse the stock Cams and Cam gears?
Those cams are usually pressed into bearings which are pressed into the Cam plate. With the 07 they just slip into the Cam plate right? The stock cams will just slip in (no pressing) or do I need a different 07 style cam or something?

Thanks for any light on this subject.
No, the stock cams won't work. the new stlye cam plate has larger bore diameter for the cam.

Note the post you quoted, he uses a Andrews 21N cams. The "N" designates small bearing in the block and large bearing surface in the cam plate.

Quick Reply: cam chain tensioners