Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to upgrade suspension on a 2004 RK

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 08:53 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 994 Likes on 591 Posts
Default Looking to upgrade suspension on a 2004 RK

Right now I have the stock forks with Type B fluid in them and the stock air shocks in the back. I tried the SE fork fluid and it was just too stiff. I'm looking to upgrade the forks and shocks to something better than stock. I don't wanna go ape and do Penskes or anything, but I want some good quality suspension components that will give me a significantly better ride than stock.

What would you recommend?

Old 02-01-2015, 08:57 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

Progressive mono-tubes on the nose, and Progressive coil overs of some sort in the back

Old 02-01-2015, 08:57 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Fabrik8tor has some great suspension knowledge...check his threads

balance expectations- i don;t expect any sportbike characteristics from the barge that is the FLH.

I have other bikes that are fast, stop quickly and turn.

I have reasonably good results from the stock HD suspension on the Evo I had, and the 09 I have.
I set up for floaty Cadillac ride when touring as that's what i need for 10 hour days, day after day.

that can be a little "vague" in the canyons, but it's do-able.

Just about every bike I've owned has capabilities beyond my skill level

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-01-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:58 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member

Is there a setup that is great in both straight line touring and also stabile handling.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:04 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,921 Likes on 2,564 Posts

+1 on Progressive. I have them front and back on two of my bikes, also both bikes are lowered 1". They both ride better than stock. Mono tube in front and the 944 shocks in the rear for the touring bikes. Many will jump in with more expensive options, that are probably better but you mentioned a desire to not go crazy with cost. I would order them thru J&P with the Gold Club discount. Still going to be a grand for the set.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:28 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts

Tuning with oil viscosity and quantity is cheap and effective.

Is stock was too thin and se was too thick, mix them.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Is there a setup that is great in both straight line touring and also stabile handling.
Are you riding solo, or duo? It makes a significant difference, especially to choice of shocks. If solo there are many shocks out there that will give an improved ride, too many to be frank! However if Mrs T rides along often the rules change and there are not many truly successful choices.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:51 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
Are you riding solo, or duo? It makes a significant difference, especially to choice of shocks. If solo there are many shocks out there that will give an improved ride, too many to be frank! However if Mrs T rides along often the rules change and there are not many truly successful choices.
Right now primarily solo. My 60 pound daughter rides with me every now and then. I weigh 200 pounds.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:13 AM
cathead
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO based on my experience with my '06, if you intend to keep your '04 for a lot longer or indefinitely then the Progressive monotubes are a good way to go. Also would be a good time to chrome the forks if not already done. But if you are thinking of a newer ride and selling or trading in the 04, try heavier oil first. You most likely won't recoup that money if you put a grand into suspension then trade or sell.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:04 PM
RKGDCG03
Road Warrior

Received 535 Likes on 378 Posts

I have an 03 RK and did the Progressive 444 rear shocks with the heavy springs, but I weigh 260 plus I have a tour pack that I leave on most all the time. I do only ride solo. Mono tubes going in this winter. The rear shocks made a huge difference. I found the shocks on Amazon. Phat Performance parts have good pricing also. I plan on keeping my RK long term, had since new, but I can't see dumping a grand plus into the front and rear for Ohlin's. I'm sure they are worth it but.....

Quick Reply: Looking to upgrade suspension on a 2004 RK