Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 2-1-2 exhaust crossover loose

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 03:16 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Stock 2-1-2 exhaust crossover loose

Is there a trick to keeping the stock 2-1-2 exhaust crossover tube snug? A friend of mine is running this setup and noticed that the left side of exhaust with crossover can move as much as an inch in and out where the crossover clamp and gasket is. We have tried torquing that clamp down but are leary of torquing too much and cracking the pipe.

Any tips to get this seated and sealed correctly so it doesnt move or is this normal?

Pic below is a jackpot header but should give a good idea of what he has.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:23 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyFLHX
Is there a trick to keeping the stock 2-1-2 exhaust crossover tube snug? A friend of mine is running this setup and noticed that the left side of exhaust with crossover can move as much as an inch in and out where the crossover clamp and gasket is. We have tried torquing that clamp down but are leary of torquing too much and cracking the pipe.

Any tips to get this seated and sealed correctly so it doesnt move or is this normal?

Pic below is a jackpot header but should give a good idea of what he has.

I'm beginning to believe its a common problem. I took a chance and tightened mine after I almost fell over when I pushed my slip on forward. I tightened it but the cross over has a funky angle now when lined up horizontal with slip on.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:24 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

is the hanger on the tranny tight?

torca clamps are considered "1-Use"...I get a few uses out of mine...do not overtighten as they deform to an oval shape

some riders use a high heat silicone RTV ( orange?) to help seal pipes.

mike

Old 02-03-2015, 03:31 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior

Yes the hanger on the tranny is tight. The problem isnt the crossover moving up and down as much as it is from side to side. Where it connects on tranny cover side is an odd angle.
Hes not using the cheap torca clamps but the thick heavy harley exhaust clamp.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:33 PM
rbferg
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a new torca clamp and gasket.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:34 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

torca isn;t cheap...that's what Harley uses.

torque spec on those is about 35 ft lbs...start at 27 pounds first use and each re-use go up 2 pounds.

good thing you are there- hanging the exhaust evenly really is a 2 man job...1 needs to sit on a milk crate with a beer to eyeball the mufflers are straight...while the other guy takes care of the swearing

mike

Old 02-03-2015, 03:41 PM
cambre04
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem...couldn't tighten the clamp enough to keep it from moving around...I went to the parts department and got an insert that go in the crossover pipe...first cut out the old one, it is made of a wire mesh and some type of compound...this thing gets mashed and won't seal....the new one slides in kind of snug, so be careful not to bend it....after getting it fitted properly, put the pipes together with a new clamp....I had no more problems with it......good luck

Old 02-03-2015, 03:54 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior

Thanks for the feedback. Will try replacing the gasket and clamp. Mkguitar, your right, I was thinking of another clamp. Those Harley Torca clamps are tough. Thanks again.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:08 PM
tbrince
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Clamps

Those clamps are considered one use,however,a friend told me to check something when I had similar prob. It appears that the spacer in the middle can seize on the bolt giving false torque readings. I Removed center spacer and drilled out the hole so bolt would slide freely performed mod to all three clamps. Had everything loose ,aligned the pipes and snugged in 10lb increments. Ran bike till warm retorqed bolts. I'll check torque after a few rides.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:15 PM
tbrince
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

After reading post again I realized I missed point. My clamp on tran has a shim between pipe and clamp.

Quick Reply: Stock 2-1-2 exhaust crossover loose