Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance and Hines true duals or power duals

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 10:19 AM
Wilkinshppd
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vance and Hines true duals or power duals

Which are better? V and H true duals it power duals? Looking for best power and best sound. I have carbon fiber tip slip ons now.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:26 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

true duals ( 2/2) may have a power advantage at 4500 rpms...power duals or a (2/1/2 header )may have an advantage at 2800 rpms- which rpm range do you use?

Looking at dyno charts can help you compare pipes if everything else is equal)

sound is subjective= that's on you.
I'd suggest you go hear some bikes...bike night, dealer bbq kinda event
don;t bother with internet clips

V&H PD's may have a clearance problem on Right turns- some riders hit the cover on the X pipe- this can relieve traction to the rear tire.
this is most likely to happen IF the bike is lowered, IF there is a dip in the turn and the suspension compresses.
But hard parts shouldn't ever contact the road...that's why pegs are made to swivel up

in my opinion ( worth every cent) PD's with monster ovals sound like crap. if you are riding the bike you can;t hear the radio and a 10 hour day is no fun...directly behind the bike they project a tinny sound.
I make my Pal follow, if he wants to lead, I drop waaay back

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-07-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:28 AM
gjetson
Cruiser

I've had both. I'm running the power duals now with the monster rounds. A little more power, and I think they sound good. I had the Vance and Hines true duals and the big shots on my road king. Sounded good, but ears hurt like hell on long runs.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:28 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

While I'm not a fan of the look or ground clearance of V&H power duals, but they are one of the best performers out there. I like Fuelmoto or Fullsac X pipes better because they keep stock look and clearance while offering great performance. True duals are not great performers, but many like the sound.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 02-07-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:31 AM
gjetson
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mkguitar
true duals ( 2/2) may have a power advantage at 4500 rpms...power duals or a (2/1/2 header )may have an advantage at 2800 rpms- which rpm range do you use?

sound is subjective= that's on you.
I'd suggest you go hear some bikes...bike night, dealer bbq kinda event
don;t bother with internet clips

V&H PD's may have a clearance problem on tight turns- some riders hit the cover on the X pipe- this can relieve traction to the rear tire.
this is most likely to happen IF the bike is lowered, IF there is a dip in the turn and the suspension compresses.
But hard parts shouldn't ever contact the road

Mike
I've scraped once with my power duals, but to be honest I was probably going into the turn way to tight when it happened.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:34 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by gjetson
I've scraped once with my power duals, but to be honest I was probably going into the turn way to tight when it happened.
sorry, typo in my post...that should be RIGHT turns.

when I hit the rear tire slid out.
This is the turn at the bottom of my street- I have taken it hundreds of times on dozens of bikes.

mike

Old 02-07-2015, 11:15 AM
Aversocki
Advanced

I have the power duals. I love them, they have the right sound for me and performance wise they are great. I have never scraped them in a turn, maybe I'm not riding hard enough :-)

Old 02-07-2015, 11:30 AM
rscott
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Luv my true duals great sound and looks

Old 02-07-2015, 12:26 PM
06SGWA
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll chime in as one of the guys who scrapes my power duals all the time in right turns.
A guy on this forum actually laid his bike down because of this issue.
The ground clearance sucks, and at best, you'll have to get used to scratched up parts.

Last edited by 06SGWA; 02-07-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:56 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the true duals and they were too loud for me with a cammed 103. Had Python slip one that were too loud from the get go, changed to V&H twin tip rounds..... They were ok until I added the SE255 cams. Changer to Rush Racing Big Louie w/ 2" baffles. They were tolerable. Pulled them off and went with FM coated stainless with the same Big Louie's with Andrews 57 cams and the sound is phenomenal. Much deeper. Very happy.

I know I changed a lot at once and it's not apples to apples but I beleive the true duals were where a majority of the on throttle crackling was coming from.

Quick Reply: Vance and Hines true duals or power duals