Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 06:59 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Project

Started chatting with a neighbor buddy of mine about wanting to get little wake up bounce to my road king. So here is what he came up with.

Changing my transmission pulleys:
2011 tri-glide 30T pulley to the front &
2007 Sportster 68T pulley to the rear.
Keeping the OEM belt for the RKC 2007.

Then upping my CAMs: either-- Knight Prowler TW555 or TMan Torqster 555s. not sure yet. I'm leaning towards Knight Prowlers but he runs TMan Cams and has bee extremely happy with them.

Spoke with the lead service manager while picking up my new trans pulleys and he said this will be a big improvement.

anyone else do these types of mods. actually I've searched the forum and found great threads that helped as well.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:13 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Yes i did, last month, I put the 98 tooth sportster pulley on my 07 Road King
classic and I woke that gal plumb up. Some day I might think about a 30 T
front pulley but not now, so if you already have the 30 T put it on first then
decide if you want to go with a sportster rear pulley or not .

Old 02-09-2015, 12:16 AM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 6 gun
Yes i did, last month, I put the 98 tooth sportster pulley on my 07 Road King
classic and I woke that gal plumb up. Some day I might think about a 30 T
front pulley but not now, so if you already have the 30 T put it on first then
decide if you want to go with a sportster rear pulley or not .
I purchased them both together. Once i get in there I want to get it all done in one shot.

I think you meant 68T Sportster Pulley?

Old 02-09-2015, 03:00 AM
Big Money
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I swapped pulleys out on my 07 Street Glide to 30/68, made a huge difference. Running SE 204 cams, by far the best upgrade I've done. Either Ronnie's or Surdyke will give you the best price on sprockets. You will need 2" Grade8 bolts for rear sprocket, flange is thinner than stock sprocket. If you don't have the special socket for the trans pulley nut George's Garage is the best place to buy.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:14 AM
Joker65
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Money
I swapped pulleys out on my 07 Street Glide to 30/68, made a huge difference. Running SE 204 cams, by far the best upgrade I've done. Either Ronnie's or Surdyke will give you the best price on sprockets. You will need 2" Grade8 bolts for rear sprocket, flange is thinner than stock sprocket. If you don't have the special socket for the trans pulley nut George's Garage is the best place to buy.
Surdyke's has great prices, but also check-out Kutter's in Janesville, WI.
They have as good or better pricing than Surdyke, but typically less S/H.

Also, if you're running the Tman555 Trq cam, the additional mods to the pulley won't be necessary.
That 555Tq cam is a great cam,and with a little head work can really run up top too!

Old 02-10-2015, 12:36 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Joker65
Surdyke's has great prices, but also check-out Kutter's in Janesville, WI.
They have as good or better pricing than Surdyke, but typically less S/H.

Also, if you're running the Tman555 Trq cam, the additional mods to the pulley won't be necessary.
That 555Tq cam is a great cam,and with a little head work can really run up top too!
Glad to hear the feedback on the TMan 555s. I have been back and forth between Tman 555s vs TW555s. I'm probably going to go with the TMans. I will stick with the original plan to do both Pulley mod and Cam upgrades; i hope the combination is worth the effort. Over all from the feedback i'm hearing this project will provide great results. Aside from the effort for the pulley swap it has not been over the top expensive.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:18 AM
Musician
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts

I understand that a rear pulley change to the sportster 68 tooth will give better acceleration (GOOD!) than the stocker, but how else will the change manifest itself? How much of a RPM change will that be at cruising speeds, on an average?Also, will that pulley fit an '08 FLHT? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Musician
I understand that a rear pulley change to the sportster 68 tooth will give better acceleration (GOOD!) than the stocker, but how else will the change manifest itself? How much of a RPM change will that be at cruising speeds, on an average?Also, will that pulley fit an '08 FLHT? Thanks in advance.
If you change from stock gearing of 32/66 to 30/68 then your rear drive ratio changes from 66/32 = 2.0625, to 68/30 = 2.2667. This represents a change in ratio of 2.2667/2.0625 = 1.0990, or 109.9%.

So you get an increase of torque delivered to the rear wheel of 9.9% and your engine speed at any road speed will also increase by that amount. In other words if you normally cruise an say 2,500rpm, then to keep the same road speed you will have to use 2,500 x 1.0990 = 2,747rpm.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:21 AM
Musician
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Reading it made me realize that I forgot to ask if it will affect my speedometer reading? Being electronic (I think) maybe not. Any thoughts on that? BTW, I would only be changing the rear pulley.Thanks again.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:23 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Musician
Thanks for the reply. Reading it made me realize that I forgot to ask if it will affect my speedometer reading? Being electronic (I think) maybe not. Any thoughts on that? BTW, I would only be changing the rear pulley.Thanks again.
Yes it will affect your speedo.

2010 Limited with some stuff!!

Quick Reply: New Project