Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 10:45 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Originally Posted by AZdryheat
I pop off the left saddlebag to get at the tire valve. Also lets me check the air shocks. Quick and easy.
Not to get off track, but I moved the nipple for the air shocks just enough to get to it easily without removing the saddlebag. That task is a real bummer if you swap around from solo to two up settings to keep your ride right. I keep the HD Pump in a pocket near it, when I need to adjust it I nail it in under a minute with much less hassle.
You know what they say:

Old 02-28-2015, 10:53 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

The valve stem extension hose part # 42300009 sells for $10.95

Old 02-28-2015, 01:40 PM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 02-28-2015, 01:54 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,453 Likes on 1,694 Posts

I use one of these guys.

Attached Thumbnails Checking Tire Pressure-air.jpg  
Old 02-28-2015, 02:09 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
A real pain with spoke wheels, so I put my 'King on my lift and get it up so I can check psi and spin and inspect the tires. I found a small nail in the rear last year that I removed before it became a problem. No substitute for a good physical inspection as often as you can. That being said, I got a Garmin 390LM a couple of years ago that has a TPMS feature that works great. The sensors replace the valve stem caps, now I can check my tire psi anytime, even going down the road. It will show a low pressure alarm if you got a puncture or something hopefully before it develops into something bad.
In my saddlebag I keep a Slime Digital Air Compressor, it is small, screws straight down on the stem in that tight space, the readout shows current psi and you set the psi you want, it gets there and cuts off. I got it at Wally World for about $30. When I got it, I checked and aired up every tire around the house to become familiar with it, so I am covered if I need it. Good luck!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Digi...lator/20573329

Definitely a very big pain with spoke wheels, and a want to kill something size pain on the rear tire with the bags on using most gauges. I use the Accutire MS-4710B Motorcycle Gauge (usually on Amazon for $10 or less), you can place the end of it on the rear valve and still have the leverage to push it and get a reading without getting that close to it. Now if it needs air, that is a little more difficult, but I have found that with some hoses it is easier to put the hose thru the slot in the rotor and then position it on the valve, I have come across a few hoses that this was the only way to get a seal on the valve.

Somebody posted the thread about the TPMS the other day, and so I purchased two sets of the TireGard's and installed them a couple of days ago, I think I am going to really like them, I only checked my pressure maybe once a month before (as to me it's like oil level, you should know the tendencies of your vehicle 2 or 4 wheeled) so it wasn't a big deal to me, but I wanted to try these and they seem great.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:18 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

i just went down to the stealers and got the extension. now i think i'll look at the slime guage/pump. i have a big compressor but i don't want to start it up for just a couple of pounds of air. appreciate all the input.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:37 PM
RoadsterGlide
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Slime compressor and tubeless tire repair kit in my saddle bags. Have been fortunate not to have had any flats on any of my HDs over the years, but had 2 on my sport bikes. Repaired and back on the road in 30-45 minutes. Of course, having a center stand made it easier and both were rear flats.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:56 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought off Ebay a "Milton s690" air chuck with its stem bent at 45° (by the seller). It wraps around most rims but is a little bulky to carry. In the end I prefer the Slime compressor.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:20 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

I agree having spoke wheels on my streetglide it is a pain to check and add a little air. I like to keep my rear at 42 and the front at 40 so if its only off a couple pounds i am pretty faithfull at checking and adding the air. I have been looking for a 90 degree gauge and chuck, but can not find one

Old 03-02-2015, 08:16 AM
hemi1300
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Copyless
Definitely a very big pain with spoke wheels, and a want to kill something size pain on the rear tire with the bags on using most gauges. I use the Accutire MS-4710B Motorcycle Gauge (usually on Amazon for $10 or less), you can place the end of it on the rear valve and still have the leverage to push it and get a reading without getting that close to it. Now if it needs air, that is a little more difficult, but I have found that with some hoses it is easier to put the hose thru the slot in the rotor and then position it on the valve, I have come across a few hoses that this was the only way to get a seal on the valve.

Somebody posted the thread about the TPMS the other day, and so I purchased two sets of the TireGard's and installed them a couple of days ago, I think I am going to really like them, I only checked my pressure maybe once a month before (as to me it's like oil level, you should know the tendencies of your vehicle 2 or 4 wheeled) so it wasn't a big deal to me, but I wanted to try these and they seem great.

U will love the tire guard tpms unit. Have been using it for a few years now and it works great, and much more piece of mind being able to see the pressure/temp of each tire while riding, well worth the $$

Quick Reply: Checking Tire Pressure