Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:20 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Checking Tire Pressure

The thread about the cracked wheel and the need to check tire pressure each time you ride got me wondering.....what do you guys use to check and or adjust the pressure. I have just the regular valve stems and i think its a real PITA just to get down and get a gauge on it let alone an air hose. So.....I thought I'd get some input from some of the guys here. I've tried various gauges and hoses but none seem to work that well. Hard to get an air hose on those stems sometimes.
Thanks for the input.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:23 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cass
The thread about the cracked wheel and the need to check tire pressure each time you ride got me wondering.....what do you guys use to check and or adjust the pressure. I have just the regular valve stems and i think its a real PITA just to get down and get a gauge on it let alone an air hose. So.....I thought I'd get some input from some of the guys here. I've tried various gauges and hoses but none seem to work that well. Hard to get an air hose on those stems sometimes.
Thanks for the input.
I only check mine a few times a year. After setting it up in the Spring it's pretty stable. The rear is a real pain to get at on my Road King.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:23 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

When my FLHX is up on the J&S jack, it's pretty easy to spin wheel and I have the HD gauge (round dial w/braided hose). On the ground, it's harder...just need to roll bike so stem's visible, but HD gauge still gets in there...that's my story.

I know others swap straight stem w/90-degree, but I'm good w/stock stem.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:27 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

i have the hd gauge too and for checking the pressure its pretty easy as well as checking the tires. most of my problem arises when i need to put a couple of pounds into the tire. its just hard to keep the hose on the stem. I've seen some 90 degree elbows and wondered if they worked. I've heard them mentioned a few times in here but can't remember what the comments were. guess I'm probably better just putting it up on the stand and doing it.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:28 AM
rht92
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use the J&P with the round gauge and the braided hose. I agree it's a PITA when the bikes on the ground.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:30 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

HD sells a tire access extension hose which works pretty slick.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:38 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,367 Likes on 21,383 Posts

If you ever go to your dealership, you can always ask service to check it for you.
Myself, I don't care much for laying on the ground.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:41 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

A real pain with spoke wheels, so I put my 'King on my lift and get it up so I can check psi and spin and inspect the tires. I found a small nail in the rear last year that I removed before it became a problem. No substitute for a good physical inspection as often as you can. That being said, I got a Garmin 390LM a couple of years ago that has a TPMS feature that works great. The sensors replace the valve stem caps, now I can check my tire psi anytime, even going down the road. It will show a low pressure alarm if you got a puncture or something hopefully before it develops into something bad.
In my saddlebag I keep a Slime Digital Air Compressor, it is small, screws straight down on the stem in that tight space, the readout shows current psi and you set the psi you want, it gets there and cuts off. I got it at Wally World for about $30. When I got it, I checked and aired up every tire around the house to become familiar with it, so I am covered if I need it. Good luck!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Digi...lator/20573329

Old 02-28-2015, 07:45 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by cass
Hard to get an air hose on those stems sometimes.
Thanks for the input.
I don't have any problem using an air hose with a 90° chuck like this.

Originally Posted by Iceman24
When my FLHX is up on the J&S jack, it's pretty easy to spin wheel and I have the HD gauge (round dial w/braided hose). On the ground, it's harder...just need to roll bike so stem's visible, but HD gauge still gets in there...that's my story.

I know others swap straight stem w/90-degree, but I'm good w/stock stem.
That is what I am using too, and have no issues with it.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:47 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Definitely agree w/adding air = PIA, but I rarely have to adjust during a riding season (1-2 times). My Porter Cable compressor came with the std/small chuck which works good on bike tires...I use the bigger chuck (w/pressure check) on cars, but it doesn't fit under the FLHX rear (tried & can't seal...lose more air than gain). Just one of those annoyances of having/riding a "big-boy bike."

Quick Reply: Checking Tire Pressure