Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketronics retro kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:16 PM
timber0472
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Biketronics retro kit

Hey guys, a few weeks ago I upgraded my 2001 Electra glide radio with a kit from Biketronics. I bought a Kenwood stereo, with their Retro-kit install harness. This allows me to keep using my handlebar controls. It's a very nice plug and play kit. At that time I also upgraded my speakers with 2 Hertz HCX 165 (6 1/2s). Sound was great but I decided to add an amp also. I heard much praise about Fosgate's pbr 300 watt so I decided to give it a try. Here's the problem: I can't figure out how to wire this to the radio without deleting my handlebar controls.

I have a seperate power, ground, and two RCA cables running to the back of the radio. Nothing...no power to the amp and no sound from it. I know the amp is good. I think it may have something to do with the retro kit harness. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with the biketronics retro kit to aftermarket amp? I have the fairing off this weekend to do this so I was kinda hoping someone may be able to give me some insight. If nothing else Ill just have to leave it until I can call Biketronics on Monday. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Old 02-28-2015, 08:20 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

You might want to ask in the audio section.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems-153/

Old 02-28-2015, 08:36 PM
Biketronics Inc
Former Sponsor
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by timber0472
Hey guys, a few weeks ago I upgraded my 2001 Electra glide radio with a kit from Biketronics. I bought a Kenwood stereo, with their Retro-kit install harness. This allows me to keep using my handlebar controls. It's a very nice plug and play kit. At that time I also upgraded my speakers with 2 Hertz HCX 165 (6 1/2s). Sound was great but I decided to add an amp also. I heard much praise about Fosgate's pbr 300 watt so I decided to give it a try. Here's the problem: I can't figure out how to wire this to the radio without deleting my handlebar controls.

I have a seperate power, ground, and two RCA cables running to the back of the radio. Nothing...no power to the amp and no sound from it. I know the amp is good. I think it may have something to do with the retro kit harness. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with the biketronics retro kit to aftermarket amp? I have the fairing off this weekend to do this so I was kinda hoping someone may be able to give me some insight. If nothing else Ill just have to leave it until I can call Biketronics on Monday. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I think I just answered you through our website, if not our part just routes the non-amplified signal from the aftermarket radio through the HD harness like the stock radio did. This is for convenience, the audio does not need to go through our part to make it work. When you add an amp you just hook up the RCAs and run new speaker wires from the amp to the speakers, taping off the original stock wires that still have the non-amplified signal on them. Do you have the turn on wire hooked up from the amp? Should go to the blue and white wire coming from the Kenwood. If the amp is still not working I would measure your power right at the amp and make sure it is ok, and that your battery is fully charged.

Bill

Old 03-01-2015, 09:32 AM
timber0472
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Biketronics Inc
I think I just answered you through our website, if not our part just routes the non-amplified signal from the aftermarket radio through the HD harness like the stock radio did. This is for convenience, the audio does not need to go through our part to make it work. When you add an amp you just hook up the RCAs and run new speaker wires from the amp to the speakers, taping off the original stock wires that still have the non-amplified signal on them. Do you have the turn on wire hooked up from the amp? Should go to the blue and white wire coming from the Kenwood. If the amp is still not working I would measure your power right at the amp and make sure it is ok, and that your battery is fully charged.

Bill
Yes sir. You sure did. Never expected an answer that fast. Great customer support! Thanks for the info. love your products.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:46 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Ya will want to use the speaker out wires to the fosgate amp input rather than rca jacks. Very easy to splice the speaker wires from the head unit through the amp. There are install instructions in the audio section.