Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chrome bolting allll around

Old 03-01-2015, 04:17 PM
hdnvn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chrome bolting allll around

Hey guys, my inner and outer primary are coming off before the Springtime weather, I'm chroming both. I want to purchase chrome bolts for the whole side of the bike. Anyone done this, if so whats the cheapest way to go about it. I'm not really into the chrome caps thing, seems a bit cheesy or difficult when having to break the bike down. Going through Harley sounds way too expensive. Anyone know of an aftermarket deal out there and if not, where can I get all of the sizes needed in one take (I have a parts manual but no listing of sizes is given.) I know that ACE hardware has chrome bolts, I just don't have all of the sizings needed...looked on ebay, seems aas if mostly caps are available....

Old 03-01-2015, 04:35 PM
SBW Cycles
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the Harley chrome hardware kit on my 05 FXSTS. Some of the screws are starting to rust. I went with stainless steel hardware (allen head) from AlloyBoltz on my 11 FLHX. They look good as new and no rust. Planning on switching my FXSTS over to stainless this winter. Been recommending AlloyBoltz to all of my riding buddies.

Best $62 spent. You get primary, derby, cam, transmission (chrome cover, trap door, and top cover), speed sensor, lifters, and rockers. Also come with all the washers needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-15-HARL...item483c9019f0

Old 03-01-2015, 04:37 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Chrome Bolts

It ain't cheap but the best way to go is to replace them with stainless steel bolts. Chrome will chip when you a wrench or socket on it and then it will rust. You can put clear nail polish on the heads but that is a stop gap measure.

http://depss.com/

If you put "Hot Toppers" on the bike then you have to pay for a mechanic to remove then when they do maintenance on the bike...and they usually come back to you in a box.

Last edited by dyna rider; 03-01-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,403 Likes on 876 Posts

second the polished stainless over chrome

Old 03-01-2015, 04:48 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Yea I polish the regular grade 5 stainless from ACE myself, When replacing Torx with Hex. Also the stock H-D grade 8 bolts polish up pretty good. Also polished the stock lower forks, Once I get started I can't stop, OCD I guess lol

Last edited by Smokey Stover; 03-01-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:54 PM
flatfifth2003
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SBW Cycles
I got the Harley chrome hardware kit on my 05 FXSTS. Some of the screws are starting to rust. I went with stainless steel hardware (allen head) from AlloyBoltz on my 11 FLHX. They look good as new and no rust. Planning on switching my FXSTS over to stainless this winter. Been recommending AlloyBoltz to all of my riding buddies.

Best $62 spent. You get primary, derby, cam, transmission (chrome cover, trap door, and top cover), speed sensor, lifters, and rockers. Also come with all the washers needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-15-HARL...item483c9019f0
+1 on AlloyBoltz I put the engine kit on my 08 I got the grade 8 show polished they are 12 point instead of allen looks good.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:16 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doing this now. Using gardner-westcott, http://www.gardner-westcott.com. Have also used depss. You'll have to decide between loctite and anti-seize. Many recommend blu loctite. I struggled with that and ended up using anti-seize. I'm carefully torquing everything and will recheck tightness frequently. Had hot-toppers, but really don't like them. Cheesy, IMHO. Polished stainless look sweet. V/nice detail.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:54 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Go SS dont do chrome, they will rust and pretty soon it will look like crap and you will either be removing them to clean the rust out of the socket heads or replacing with ss. This is especially true if you wash your bike with water or expose it to rain or live near an ocean.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:07 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

however stainless steel is more brittle than the mild steel which is used for most of these fasteners...that means that a strong arm can snap them. They may be also more likely to strip out any aluminum they go into.

I know it's a 1/2 measure...I buy the little caps that cover the allen heads- due to the high mineral content of our water in PHX.

I care less about appearances than many riders.

Mike

Old 03-02-2015, 05:40 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkguitar
however stainless steel is more brittle than the mild steel which is used for most of these fasteners...that means that a strong arm can snap them. They may be also more likely to strip out any aluminum they go into.

I know it's a 1/2 measure...I buy the little caps that cover the allen heads- due to the high mineral content of our water in PHX.

I care less about appearances than many riders.

Mike
I've been using SS fasteners for many years without a problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: chrome bolting allll around