Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Tour Bikes, Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 07:54 PM
RedneckAVMC
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing that I forgot on the post below was I wanted to ask about a couple cams. Which would you prefer for a touring bike, a 509 S&S Cam or a 551 S&S Cam and what Is the difference between the two?

Old 03-06-2015, 06:50 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckAVMC
Another thing that I forgot on the post below was I wanted to ask about a couple cams. Which would you prefer for a touring bike, a 509 S&S Cam or a 551 S&S Cam and what Is the difference between the two?
its possible to do this yourself for a lot less money. At 14K miles I wouldn't be too concerned just yet. I got a used 07 camplate from someone who was getting a billet plate, $200. I got Andrews 21 conversion cams. It's a bolt in. Love them. I got maybe $600 in it. I'll loan you the tools you'll need. It's easy to do, watch the YouTube video.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:33 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckAVMC
Thanks for the responses. There are 14334 miles on the new to me machine. I checked into replacing the tensioners a local indy, he wants $1400 for an upgrade to gear driven cam. He also said for $1700 he would change out the roller bearings under the cam chest with Timken bearings as well as another set of bearings that were roller to Timken on the left side. With those costs on upgrades it may have to wait awhile (spent most of my money on the bike). Is there anything else that I've gotten myself into that will need replacement or upgrade?
Gear drives are nice, if your crank is straight, but if money is an issue I'd stay with the chain drive, upgrade the oiling system and tensioners and be done with it.

Would I pay for bearings? YES, the older style bearings are better

You probably have a few thousand miles before the followers become an issue, but by 20K they should be out of the bike.

for 2300 bucks I got gear drive cams, new lifters, bearings and push rods, and a Fueling cam plate and high volume oil pump. This also included all O rings, gaskets, seals, and fluids. IMHO (ok I am not impartial) my cam chest innards are bulletproof

Old 03-06-2015, 10:00 AM
David.Brady
1st Gear

I had to replace tensioners on a 2001 a few years ago at around 30k. I hear that many will go between 20-30k. With the new hydraulic tensioners, I believe, and adjustable pushrods it was around $1800.

Agree with previous statement, you'll hear when one has gone bad. Not a good situation after it has already gone . . .

Old 03-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Cam Chain Tensioners -If you are above 25k miles and you don't know if they have been replaced, look.

In my 2003 they were worn throught the pads into the metal spring loaded clips at 26k miles. I replaced them and at 50 k miles looked inside, they still looked new. I assume the chain is rough and chews through the 1st set but the 1st set polishes the chain so the 2nd set lasts longer.

If you replace them, replace with the new SE High volume oil pump, billet cam support and hydraulic tensioners.

Attached Thumbnails New to Tour Bikes, Issues?-scissored-5.jpg  
Old 03-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Insulatorman17
Intermediate

I agree with just plain. I put in in screamin eagle cam plate& tensioners,Andrews 21 cams,s&s lifters, and s&s quickee push rods for about $1300 in parts! If you wrench on your own stuff it isn't that bad of a job. Forgot I had to buy the inner cam bearing tool(think I paid $110 eBay) The cams and lifters were put in "as long as I am in there I might as well" lol but my bike has around 30000 so I feel it was worth it!

Old 03-06-2015, 02:11 PM
Insulatorman17
Intermediate

Oh yeah and as far as cams go read through theses forums on the twin cam 88. A lot of good stuff in here! That's how I settled on the 21's

Old 03-07-2015, 10:58 AM
RedneckAVMC
Novice

Could you post the link to the Youtube video? I would like to take a gander at it.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:01 AM
RedneckAVMC
Novice

Originally Posted by Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Gear drives are nice, if your crank is straight, but if money is an issue I'd stay with the chain drive, upgrade the oiling system and tensioners and be done with it.

Would I pay for bearings? YES, the older style bearings are better

You probably have a few thousand miles before the followers become an issue, but by 20K they should be out of the bike.

for 2300 bucks I got gear drive cams, new lifters, bearings and push rods, and a Fueling cam plate and high volume oil pump. This also included all O rings, gaskets, seals, and fluids. IMHO (ok I am not impartial) my cam chest innards are bulletproof

Money is an issue right now since I gave it all dealership but I'm still leaning towards getting the gear drive and a cam upgrade. I'll probably wait until around 20K on the bike and then pay the piper.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:11 AM
RedneckAVMC
Novice

Took the 2005 Ultra Classic out for a several hundred mile ride yesterday. Found a few issues that I'll have to address as well. 1st issue is the bike is running lean, getting popping and pipes are changing color. Previous owner never mapped it after putting on true dual exhaust. I'm going to buy a mapping license and have the local Indy change the fuel settings. 2nd issue that I found is the stereo would work fine and then cut out occasionally. I haven't figured that one out yet. It seemed like there was a loose connection because it's intermittent and comes right back on. The endless work of trying to make the bike right.

Quick Reply: New to Tour Bikes, Issues?