Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Tour Bikes, Issues?

Old 03-05-2015, 01:22 AM
RedneckAVMC
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Tour Bikes, Issues?

I just purchased my first TC and Tour Bike (2005 Electra Glide Ultra Classic) previous bike was 97 Heritage. Are there any issues with the twin cam or Electra Glide that I should be aware of? A brother of mine mentioned something about cam chain tensioners. Any info on this new experience would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:19 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

The cam chain tensioners are spring loaded, and put pressure on the chain at all times to take any slack out of it. Over time the chain eats into the tensioner, to the point that they are destroyed. If big chunks get into your oil it can plug the oil galleys resulting in catastrophic engine failure. They aren't mentioned in the routine service requirements. Moco quit using them in 07. Pull the cam cover and check them. How many miles are on your Classic?

Old 03-05-2015, 07:22 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
The cam chain tensioners are spring loaded, and put pressure on the chain at all times to take any slack out of it. Over time the chain eats into the tensioner, to the point that they are destroyed. If big chunks get into your oil it can plug the oil galleys resulting in catastrophic engine failure. They aren't mentioned in the routine service requirements. Moco quit using them in 07. Pull the cam cover and check them. How many miles are on your Classic?
I had a 2005 Classic that I put 40,000 miles on with no issues. The cam chain tensioner is a known issue and should be checked every time you change primary oil. (every 5,000 miles or so). If the tensioner fails it WILL NOT get chunks into engine oil galleys. The oil in the primary is totally separate from engine oil. You might trash the clutch or compensator or something in the primary, but not the engine.

I think you can also change tensioners to the upgraded one, but I'm not sure.

Bill

Old 03-05-2015, 07:40 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
I had a 2005 Classic that I put 40,000 miles on with no issues. The cam chain tensioner is a known issue and should be checked every time you change primary oil. (every 5,000 miles or so). If the tensioner fails it WILL NOT get chunks into engine oil galleys. The oil in the primary is totally separate from engine oil. You might trash the clutch or compensator or something in the primary, but not the engine.

I think you can also change tensioners to the upgraded one, but I'm not sure.

Bill
You "might" be confusing the primary case with the cam chest. The primary is on the left side of the engine and the cam chest is on the right side, below the air cleaner. And yes, if the cam tensioner shoes (in the cam chest) break into pieces they can and will plug the oil pump, leading to catastrophic failure. The older spring type tensioners can be replaced with the newer hydraulic tensioners, for a price.

There is a chain tensioner in the primary case too, (left side) which also has a plastic shoe, but it is not notoriously known to fail often. Are we talking about two entirely different things here?

Old 03-05-2015, 07:50 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

How many miles on the bike? I checked into this because I bought a 2003 Ultra, with 2k in 2011. Some mechanics told me to upgrade by 20k, some said wait until it makes noise, some said cut your oil filter open after oil change and look for orange plastic bits.

I would cut open my filters. Never saw any bits. At 30k I developed a seeping lower gasket, so I had that fixed, and upgraded to the Screaming Eagle Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner upgrade. My dealer said one was 3/4 worn. My dealer charges $125 to check your tensioners. If they are bad you can replace them, or do the upgrade, and he credits the inspection fee to repair.
Do a search on hydraulic upgrade, versus gear drive. That will keep you busy for a while.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:53 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by texaswiz
You "might" be confusing the primary case with the cam chest. The primary is on the left side of the engine and the cam chest is on the right side, below the air cleaner. And yes, if the cam tensioner shoes (in the cam chest) break into pieces they can and will plug the oil pump, leading to catastrophic failure. The older spring type tensioners can be replaced with the newer hydraulic tensioners, for a price.

There is a chain tensioner in the primary case too, (left side) which also has a plastic shoe, but it is not notoriously known to fail often. Are we talking about two entirely different things here?
You are exactly right. I just read it wrong. I was definitely thinking of the primary chain tensioner, which was also an issue on the '05. Need to read and think before I post. Sorry "Just Plain John".

Bill

Old 03-05-2015, 11:36 AM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckAVMC
I just purchased my first TC and Tour Bike (2005 Electra Glide Ultra Classic) previous bike was 97 Heritage. Are there any issues with the twin cam or Electra Glide that I should be aware of? A brother of mine mentioned something about cam chain tensioners. Any info on this new experience would be greatly appreciated.
The only real problem is money! Can't seem to print enough for everything I want and periodic maintenance like chain tensioners, tires etc.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:03 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Some of the 05 models had a valve seal problem. I got one with it.
If it isn't using oil your good. Bought it for a engine build. Rode it around 30 miles and started the build and found a 1/8 inch of oil on top of the pistons.
That is about it. The others mentioned the cam tensioners.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:35 PM
Insulatorman17
Intermediate

I also have an 05 Ultra. Definitely check the cam chain tensioners! It will give you a piece of mind to know. Kind of a pain in the *** to do but well worth the look.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:50 PM
RedneckAVMC
Novice

Thanks for the responses. There are 14334 miles on the new to me machine. I checked into replacing the tensioners a local indy, he wants $1400 for an upgrade to gear driven cam. He also said for $1700 he would change out the roller bearings under the cam chest with Timken bearings as well as another set of bearings that were roller to Timken on the left side. With those costs on upgrades it may have to wait awhile (spent most of my money on the bike). Is there anything else that I've gotten myself into that will need replacement or upgrade?

On the valve seal issue, is it a manufacture flaw? Have they fixed the issue? Should I look at aftermarket for replacement or OEM if I start developing a smoke issue?

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to Tour Bikes, Issues?