Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EZ Pass Transponder

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:10 PM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep mine in the right side fairing pouch. On the TBTA bridges here (Throgs Neck, Whitestone, etc), there is a sensor just as you are entering the gated lane, so a bike should be in the left tire track of the lane to trip the sensor. Otherwise the transponder will not be read and the gate will not go up. Then the TBTA cop comes out and need to take your transponder and stick it on the manual transponder reader and hit this big button on the reader column to lift the gate. Its the only time I have trouble with EZPass.
On my way to Laconia last year on I93, my EZPass didn't get read and I never got a bill or got charged. I suspect my plate is too far under the TourPak to be photographed.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:50 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by howitzer88
On my way to Laconia last year on I93, my EZPass didn't get read and I never got a bill or got charged. I suspect my plate is too far under the TourPak to be photographed.
Celebrate the diversity.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:29 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Inside the fairing about 6 inches down from the windshield, directly under the eagle. Hasn't failed yet.

Attached Thumbnails EZ Pass Transponder-ez-pass-1.jpg   EZ Pass Transponder-ez-pass-2.jpg   EZ Pass Transponder-dsc00047.jpg  
Old 03-06-2015, 10:00 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by snipit
Awesome thank you for the link and thank you to the OP for posting this and reminding me i wanted to get one of these.

Batman

Old 03-06-2015, 10:20 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by burgh rider
In Pa. the EZ Pass for a bike gives you a discount off the turnpike toll. The EZ Pass people told me you cannot use the motorcycle pass in a car or you are in violation. They did say the bike EZ Pass is waterproof
I don't know about motorcycle transponder in a car, but when I lived in PA I used my automobile transponder on my bike all the time, as I now do in Ohio. My wife did, & does, do the same as many of my friends do.

I think if you check, you'll find that the EZ Pass gives all passenger vehicles a discount in those states that offer them. I know for a fact the rates in Ohio are less with an EZ Pass. They want you to have a separate transponder for each vehicle & say you must - but if that is true, what about rental cars?

We've had (2) EZ Pass transponders for about 10 years or so, one for each of our cars, and swapped them to our bikes anytime we were going to be on a toll road without incident. I've even loaned mine to friends that were traveling (when I knew I wasn't going to be using it) so they would have the convenience & get the discounted toll rates. It has never been an issue; this has been primarily in Pennsylvania & Ohio.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here regarding mounting in inaccessible locations like in the fairing- when I ride to the Outer Banks there's one toll bridge that's much cheaper for motorcycles than cars. My state's EZ Pass program gives the same transponder to a bike as it does to a car, so I have to bag the transponder so it doesn't read and I can pay cash.
I imagine there are many more tolls around that have a cheaper motorcycle rate.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:34 PM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Loc_Tite
One thing I haven't seen mentioned here regarding mounting in inaccessible locations like in the fairing- when I ride to the Outer Banks there's one toll bridge that's much cheaper for motorcycles than cars. My state's EZ Pass program gives the same transponder to a bike as it does to a car, so I have to bag the transponder so it doesn't read and I can pay cash.
I imagine there are many more tolls around that have a cheaper motorcycle rate.
That would be one disadvantage to putting the transponder in the fairing; if you traveled that route often enough it could cost you an appreciable amount of money.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:24 PM
wilsoda
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinch
I don't know about motorcycle transponder in a car, but when I lived in PA I used my automobile transponder on my bike all the time, as I now do in Ohio. My wife did, & does, do the same as many of my friends do..
I tried calling Ohio EZpass to ask about a motorcycle transponder, but after getting passed between a bunch of people with no clue I gave up on that idea and just use the one from the car. Maybe someday Ohio will catch up with places like Colorado and replace the gates with a system that can read at full speed and use transponder stickers or plate readers