Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of Issues with Street Glide.. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 07:17 AM
mcgillicuddy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of Issues with Street Glide.. Thoughts?

Hey everyone,

I have a brand new 2015 Street Glide Special. The bike has 500 miles on it, 300 of which were put on last week doing a trip across the state and back with a group of friends. The day after I got back I went pub hopping with some buddies and began to experience a couple weird issues that I had not noticed before.

The first issue was when down shifting at lights; there were multiple times where I was down shifting from 2nd to 1st, and when I pulled the clutch in and pressed the gear shifter down it would pop back up into second without going into 1st. It was like I had to fight it/stomp it to get past the resistance and into first. This happened on a few occasions, while also being able to shift into 1st with no problem at other times.

The second issue is also in relation to first gear. From a stop in first and under 15 miles and hour I started to experience a rumbling throughout the bike like it was going to stall. I checked my RPMS and they were definitely high enough and I know my friction zone well enough to know I wasn't lugging the engine. I would get up to 10 or 15 mph, experience the rumbling, and pull my clutch in to see if it was a lugging issue and it did not go away until I was either below 5mph or into second gear.

I come from the sportster family so I don't know if these are normal issues with street glides. Anybody have any idea what is going on?

Old 03-05-2015, 07:45 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

put some more miles on it and see if it gets better. if not a trip to the dealer would be the thing to do. maybe a clutch adjustment will do the trick. mine did the same thing as i was slowing down under 20 mph, it kinda felt like i was riding on snow tires. the trans will loosen up abit after you get so miles on it.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:10 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Never had those issues.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:32 AM
stevereno
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember when I bought my 2012 SG (coming from an 04 RKC) and thought I was hearing and feeling all sorts of weird sounds and vibrations coming from the trans, so I read in many posts here that you just need to break it in and enjoy the ride and if that doesn't work just turn up the radio (kidding). Good luck. BTW... Did you put your gremlin bell on the new bike?

Old 03-05-2015, 09:26 AM
LACOUNTRYHICK
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never had that issue either on either of my HD bikes. Hope it gets better for you and doesn't ruin your new bike experience.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Get the first 1,000 miles on it and have it serviced. The shifts will be wildly different.

I don't know what bike you came off of but I found that as compared to my previous Evo 88, this big 103 bagger required a lot more throttle to get it going. Its a combination of being big and heavy and being geared for the highway.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

if it doesn't clear up by the 1k service get the dealer to fix it under warantee

Old 03-05-2015, 04:29 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Adjust the clutch properly.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:39 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

You sound like a newlywed, if it won't go in don't force it.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:02 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

I've had that issue before, happens occaisionally and not a big deal.

Just let the clutch out a tiny tiny bit and re-try, it will snap in.

Quick Reply: Couple of Issues with Street Glide.. Thoughts?