Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change 2012 FLHRC beach bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:51 AM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change 2012 FLHRC beach bars

Hey Everyone,

After a long"ish" ride of 400 miles this weekend I am convinced I do not like the stock bars on my 2012 FLHRC. I want to swap them out for the Heritage bars that appear to be stock on 2013 and newer. I have always suspected I did not like the stock bars.

My question is - how hard is this to do considering the throttle by wire stuff? I am a bit mechanically inclined, but not a gear head by any stretch. The bars seem pretty reasonably priced.

Anything tricky to be aware of?

Any other ideas for bars that are similar to the Heritage that would not require new cables etc...?

Thanks everyone and have a great day!

Old 03-05-2015, 09:44 AM
Farmboy666
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just put a pair of 2015 RK bars on my 09 RK and it made a big difference. My hands are now just below shoulder height. It took me about 2 hrs to change but a lot of that was getting my left ISO grip off without ruining it which was glued on. Running the throttle wire was a breeze but maybe I just got lucky. I am 6'4" and had my seat modded at Mean City 1 1/2 inches back and I was feeling it in my shoulders. If you have a workshop manual it would help. You have to take the headlight out and get into the nacelle to loosen a small bolt holding the top trim piece, other than that pretty straight forward.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:49 AM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser

Thanks for the quick reply!

So do any of the wires run inside of the handlebars on a 2012? I believe they do and are you saying you have that on your 09 as well and it was pretty simple?

I have the online service manual, but the section on remove and install of the bars is a bit lacking in my opinion.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:59 AM
Farmboy666
Cruiser

The throttle wire is the only wire on my bike that is inside. You pull the geared part out carefully at the throttle end far enough to unsnap the connector and then pull the wire out at the bottom of the bars, then unplugged it inside the nacelle and ran it through the new bars, I was expecting it to be a challenge but it pushed right through. clamped the bars enough to hold them in place and connected the throttle and then inside nacelle. The controls on the handle bars can take a little fussing with but take your time and it's not that hard.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:19 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 621 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Farmboy666
I just put a pair of 2015 RK bars on my 09 RK and it made a big difference. My hands are now just below shoulder height. It took me about 2 hrs to change but a lot of that was getting my left ISO grip off without ruining it which was glued on. Running the throttle wire was a breeze but maybe I just got lucky. I am 6'4" and had my seat modded at Mean City 1 1/2 inches back and I was feeling it in my shoulders. If you have a workshop manual it would help. You have to take the headlight out and get into the nacelle to loosen a small bolt holding the top trim piece, other than that pretty straight forward.
Hey Farmboy...a little off topic here but how did you eventually get the left ISO grip off without ruining it? I too am thinking of a bar change and knowing the left ISO grip is glued, it has been a concern. They are relatively new and I'd like to save and reuse it if possible.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:36 AM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lefty33
Hey Farmboy...a little off topic here but how did you eventually get the left ISO grip off without ruining it? I too am thinking of a bar change and knowing the left ISO grip is glued, it has been a concern. They are relatively new and I'd like to save and reuse it if possible.

These are the things I am referring to! I watched a couple of videos and it appears that the left and right just slid off - no hard work involved at all. Does the grip slide over a inner tube that slides off once the assembly is loosened?

Old 03-05-2015, 10:50 AM
Farmboy666
Cruiser

I started with a small flat head screwdriver, then I moved on to a larger hose clamp opened so I could push it down in and sprayed some GOO Gone in to loosen the glue, waited for short periods to let the Goo Gone work and just kept working my way around and twisting and it finally let lose. I though about useing a hacksaw blade but figured it would chew it up. There was a little of the inside of the grip left on the old bars in one spot but not much. I was getting a little impatient towards the end. The rubber part of the grip came out of the frame part in one spot which made me think you might be able to work the frame part of the grip off by pushing the rubber tabs down under and take the frame off, then just deal with the rubber part. It took me at 45 minutes so be patient. I was in the same situation, they were not very old and didn't want to put out another $80. I haven't glued it to the new bars yet, it does turn but can't come off and is not real loose. I did put some hairspray on it when I put it back on but it didn't stick, I think there was some goo left over.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:54 AM
Farmboy666
Cruiser

Originally Posted by gilbert_roadking
These are the things I am referring to! I watched a couple of videos and it appears that the left and right just slid off - no hard work involved at all. Does the grip slide over a inner tube that slides off once the assembly is loosened?
I had glued my left grip on with the cement that came with the grip. The right one was glued on the throttle control so that was just a swap to the new handle bars. I guess some guys don't glue them or use hairspray or something else. I haven't glued the left on to the new bars yet and don't know if I will. I can twist it but it's not real loose and can't come off because of the lip at the top.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:49 PM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser

Thanks everyone!

Sounds like the only real gotcha is the left grip if it is glued on. Sounds manageable. If I can do this myself I save $150 which is what Harley wants to install them - that is $150 that can go toward my headers and pipes

Do I need to glue the grip again if I take it off? Is there something to use rather than grip glue?

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2015, 01:09 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 621 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Farmboy666
I started with a small flat head screwdriver, then I moved on to a larger hose clamp opened so I could push it down in and sprayed some GOO Gone in to loosen the glue, waited for short periods to let the Goo Gone work and just kept working my way around and twisting and it finally let lose. I though about useing a hacksaw blade but figured it would chew it up. There was a little of the inside of the grip left on the old bars in one spot but not much. I was getting a little impatient towards the end. The rubber part of the grip came out of the frame part in one spot which made me think you might be able to work the frame part of the grip off by pushing the rubber tabs down under and take the frame off, then just deal with the rubber part. It took me at 45 minutes so be patient. I was in the same situation, they were not very old and didn't want to put out another $80. I haven't glued it to the new bars yet, it does turn but can't come off and is not real loose. I did put some hairspray on it when I put it back on but it didn't stick, I think there was some goo left over.
Thx! I will try your method and do my best to be patient

Quick Reply: Change 2012 FLHRC beach bars