Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 RK: Dragula 2 + AC + Fuel Management - Advice Requested

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:34 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2014 RK: Dragula 2 + AC + Fuel Management - Advice Requested

Hey all,

I bought a 2014 Road King last year... currently have 3K+ miles on stock bike. After some forum reading, I am interested in the Dragula 2 (2-1) exhaust, but I'm not sure about which AC (Ness Big Sucker, etc) or Fuel Management (V&H FP3) products to choose. I'm thinking a fuel management with an Auto Tune function like the V&H FP3 is the way to go, but admittedly I haven't done any detailed research on the FP3. Also, I am planning to do the install myself, having installed exhaust systems on two previous bikes.

I'm happy with the stock performance of the RK except for the cat/stock exhaust. I am not planning additional engine mods down the road unless I have an engine component failure...then I might consider a cam or other upgrade but nothing too radical. I probably would not consider mods simply to increase engine displacement.

With that said, I assume the Dragula 2 would be suitable for my current build, and would also be OK if I select another cam (mid-range/highway) down the road.

I don't listen to music while riding so I don't mind making a little noise so that other drivers know I'm there. About the loudest I would consider was my previous ride ('04 Fat Boy, 95 c.i., K&N AC, Andrews 55N cam, SE ICM, V&H Big Shot Staggered exhaust w/ forcing cones at the head and no baffles...these were the mid-length pipes with a cross-over that gave it a nice, deep rumble...loud, but not raspy/obnoxious). I got a lot of compliments on the exhaust tone from riders and non-riders.

I'm looking for advice on the Fuel Management system and the AC to use with the Dragula 2. I want to optimize performance with these mods, so a good starting MAP and autotune function with this set-up are important. I'm not planning to do Dyno tuning runs to tweak every last drop of HP/TQ...I just want decent starting maps and autotune function for this bike/set-up. I am intrigued by the FP3 because of the autotune function, simple install, smart fon interface/tweaking and low cost.

I do a lot of weekend riding on rural/semi-rural roads and some highway, and I like touring trips in the mountains and on the coast with friends that also have touring/cruiser HDs. Our last trip was in the Smokies/Tail of the Dragon/West Virginia...2,300 miles in 8 days. More of these types of trips are planned.

Please advise regarding the Fuel Management and AC options with the Dragula 2 for my bike. Thanks all...

Old 03-05-2015, 12:56 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

I would like to see pics when you complete the install of the Dragula. Have you talked to either Drago's BikeWorks, FuelMoto or DK Kustoms? They all sell and service tuners, etc., and can provide the answers you seek...

Old 03-05-2015, 01:45 PM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by AlbertG
Hey all,

I bought a 2014 Road King last year... currently have 3K+ miles on stock bike. After some forum reading, I am interested in the Dragula 2 (2-1) exhaust, but I'm not sure about which AC (Ness Big Sucker, etc) or Fuel Management (V&H FP3) products to choose. I'm thinking a fuel management with an Auto Tune function like the V&H FP3 is the way to go, but admittedly I haven't done any detailed research on the FP3. Also, I am planning to do the install myself, having installed exhaust systems on two previous bikes.

I'm happy with the stock performance of the RK except for the cat/stock exhaust. I am not planning additional engine mods down the road unless I have an engine component failure...then I might consider a cam or other upgrade but nothing too radical. I probably would not consider mods simply to increase engine displacement.

With that said, I assume the Dragula 2 would be suitable for my current build, and would also be OK if I select another cam (mid-range/highway) down the road.

I don't listen to music while riding so I don't mind making a little noise so that other drivers know I'm there. About the loudest I would consider was my previous ride ('04 Fat Boy, 95 c.i., K&N AC, Andrews 55N cam, SE ICM, V&H Big Shot Staggered exhaust w/ forcing cones at the head and no baffles...these were the mid-length pipes with a cross-over that gave it a nice, deep rumble...loud, but not raspy/obnoxious). I got a lot of compliments on the exhaust tone from riders and non-riders.

I'm looking for advice on the Fuel Management system and the AC to use with the Dragula 2. I want to optimize performance with these mods, so a good starting MAP and autotune function with this set-up are important. I'm not planning to do Dyno tuning runs to tweak every last drop of HP/TQ...I just want decent starting maps and autotune function for this bike/set-up. I am intrigued by the FP3 because of the autotune function, simple install, smart fon interface/tweaking and low cost.

I do a lot of weekend riding on rural/semi-rural roads and some highway, and I like touring trips in the mountains and on the coast with friends that also have touring/cruiser HDs. Our last trip was in the Smokies/Tail of the Dragon/West Virginia...2,300 miles in 8 days. More of these types of trips are planned.

Please advise regarding the Fuel Management and AC options with the Dragula 2 for my bike. Thanks all...
I've got the Dragula 2:1 on my bike and love the sound and performance. Easy install. As far as air intake, any good free flowing intake will do the trick. There isn't going to be a significant difference between them on your bike with stock cam. Just my .02 worth here, but a relatively small $$ investment in a cam that will actually allow your new exhaust and air intake to flow like they are capable, you will gain quite a noticeable difference. That being said, even if you decide to not do it now, I would get a fuel management system that will allow you to retune for the cam you may find yourself wanting soon!

Old 03-05-2015, 05:24 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 395 Posts

I'd call Frank Drago and ask him. He sells tuners as well. He will steer you in a positive direction.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:35 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a got a Dragula 2 on my 14 RK , best decision I made for an exhaust great sound and the performance is a bonus.
As far tuners I like the PV2 , got it from Amazon 419.00 frank will send you a tune for it.
A/C I like the S&S stealth

Old 03-06-2015, 08:58 AM
heavypic
Tourer

Bump...Any other Fuel Management and AC recommendations for use with the Dragula 2 exhaust? Thanks again.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:22 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Your stock '14 air cleaner flows better than earlier ones. You you see no/little gain going to an aftermarket one with just a pipe and tune. But if ya want to change the look, pick the one ya like. As for tuners, pick the flash tuner the best dyno guy in your area likes and let him tune it.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:50 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertG
Hey all,

Hey Albert, Devin and Kevin(DK) use the Power Vision and are very happy with it! The Power Vision does have the Auto Tune function that you are looking for. It is also a very simple to use, it is delivered to you with a Custom Map, for Your Bike, already installed in it. You can plug it in, load the new tune into your bike, unplug it, and be riding with the New Tune in 5 minutes.

As for the Air Cleaner i would consider going with a Free flowing Air Cleaner like the Outlaw 587 or the 636v. These Air Cleaners do not allow the hot dirty oily air back in. As Engines perform better with cool dry air and gas...not hot oily air and gas.

Before

After

Hope this has helped you out

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 03-07-2015, 06:39 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Default Any more recommendations??

DK and others,

Thanks for your replies. I checkout the Dynojet Power Vision online (YouTube and other sources). I like it. It may be the way to go if I do additional mods down the road. Also, Drago lists this tuner on their website.

Any more recommendations?

Thanks again...