Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP bike won't start after new bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 08:13 AM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

While you may have a problem with the green mid-wire plug on the TBW that is not the problem that you are describing. No crank and no right turn signal are the wires for the right switch cluster. Once you get that fixed and the bike starts, if you don't have throttle then look at the green plug.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:15 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
When you say the bike won't crank is it not turning over at all? Or is it turning over and not firing up?

2010 Limited with some stuff!!
That is the question...If it won't turn over, it is not the TBW. The TBW is not causing this issue. I have had them go bad when I pulled them. The bike starts but you get codes and no throttle...You have miswired something...

Old 03-06-2015, 08:22 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
That is the question...If it won't turn over, it is not the TBW. The TBW is not causing this issue. I have had them go bad when I pulled them. The bike starts but you get codes and no throttle...You have miswired something...
I'll add one to this...if you do end up pulling the wires back out to test them, DO NOT put the TBW back in with that green plug. You've already admitted its broken. These things are so fragile it's ridiculous. Either cut it out, solder and heat shrink or replace it with the SE version you ordered.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:44 AM
usraptor
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J929626
While you may have a problem with the green mid-wire plug on the TBW that is not the problem that you are describing. No crank and no right turn signal are the wires for the right switch cluster. Once you get that fixed and the bike starts, if you don't have throttle then look at the green plug.
X2. Go and recheck your wires in the Molex connector. You don't have it wired correctly. There are two wires that are very similar in color, can't remember which now, but if you switch them, then you'll get the no crank issue. Ask me how I know.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I can confirm from 1st hand experience when the green plug separates all it does is make twisting the throttle do absolutely nothing. The switch housing buttons are unaffected.
Stupid green plug is worthless and causes nothing but trouble.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:04 AM
Tico-14SGS
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
When you say the bike won't crank is it not turning over at all? Or is it turning over and not firing up?

won't turn over, already took the harness out them out and bike starts so now I'm putting back together.

my clutch cable it's a little tide, how did guys rerouted it?

Old 03-06-2015, 11:33 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tico-14SGS
won't turn over, already took the harness out them out and bike starts so now I'm putting back together. my clutch cable it's a little tide, how did guys rerouted it?
Did you find some pinched wires?

Old 03-06-2015, 11:56 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
you have to be methodical and with a meter check all the wiring before you try to put the controls together...then keep checking as you go.

using a manual/wiring diagram make sure each function is correct.

if it is just "no crank" you can run a jumper from the battery + to the solenoid terminal where the green wire attaches- it'll crank then....better be in Neutral or the bike will shoot into the kitchen.

soldering can be a short term fix...but in the long term soldered connections do not hold up well on motorcycles- the vibrations will cause the wire strands to break where the tinning ends.

not tomorrow, or next week, but down the road.

mike

If, "soldering can be a short term fix...but in the long term soldered connections do not hold up well on motorcycles..."

What do you recommend then?

Old 03-06-2015, 02:40 PM
Tico-14SGS
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I got the to start no pinch wires maybe loose connection, now no throttle guessing the green plug was f.up, on my way to the dealer to get the cvo tbw

Old 03-06-2015, 02:44 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tico-14SGS
well I got the to start no pinch wires maybe loose connection, now no throttle guessing the green plug was f.up, on my way to the dealer to get the cvo tbw
Hmmm I hate to say it but I told you so. Never ever trust that green plug. 99% of the time people screw it up when pulling it apart. But when you know it's broken and you try to use it anyway, your just asking for trouble. The SE TBW should cure your issues.

Quick Reply: HELP bike won't start after new bars