Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

West Virginia

Old 03-05-2015, 09:18 PM
jrdfatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default West Virginia

Hey guys, thinking about heading to WV this summer for a week or so. I heard the road and sites are pretty nice. Looking for a landing town with lodging we could ride out of for some nice roads. If anyone has some suggestions I would appreciate the info. Thanks Jim

Old 03-05-2015, 09:41 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

There are decent hotels in the Charleston and South Charleston areas...

Southern WV can be gorgeous.

Be sure to ride over the New River Gorge Bridge.

Just remember, if some old hillbilly says "ought not go up that there holler...." turn around and go elsewhere.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:46 AM
Am4wag
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Hawks Nest State Park is near mentioned New River Gorge.All through there is awesome.Wayne county East Lynn Lake is badass too.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:40 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Chief Logan State Park has a nice hotel... 10 is an "interesting" ride, Horsepen Mountain makes a good ride, also.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:57 AM
jrdfatboy
Tourer

I'm looking for a central location with some good rides close. As far as lodging we really like the mom & pop type where you park by your room door. Nothing better than finishing a great day of riding with sitting on the front porch by momma and the fugly with an ice cold beer.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:13 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,240 Likes on 808 Posts

You might want to define what sort of roads you like and dislike riding. There's a lot of beauty in WV, there's also a lot of challenging roads.

Do you want to ride roads like this?

Or this?

Or this?

Those last two are actually county roads btw.

Make no mistake. Interstate riding, especially in southern WV, gives you an excellent scenic view, and is relatively easy riding. Though there are still some surprisingly steep and long grades. Far easier to look around from these roads than from many of the more local roads. You'll also not have truckers riding your tail hard like they will on the more local roads.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:19 AM
CanonSterVA
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Close enough that I may have to make a run that way as well.
Some paved country roads for sure!

Old 03-06-2015, 07:28 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

We head to WV from New England every summer. We stay in the Elkins area for a few days doing day trips. When we leave WV, we leave via rt 250 toward Staunton, VA. Easy access to Blue Ridge heading south from there to NC before turning around for home.

Last edited by Weavr99FLHT; 03-06-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:46 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

In 2012 and 2013 I stayed at Snowshoe Mountain, 20 miles north of Marlinton off of Rt.219. It's a great place to stage from. Check out http://naturesmountainplayground.com...mpaign=ongoing and check out the link for downloadable motorcycle touring map. I have done all of the routes in the touring map. This is an awesome riding area. A motorcyclists dream. I would go back there in a heart beat.

I use http://www.homeaway.com/ to find accomodations. I can rent a condo or house for the same price as a hotel/motel room for a week. It's a great option/alternative. I only stay at motels when traveling and use them for the overnite.

Last edited by soos; 03-06-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:21 AM
Sickwitit
Intermediate

I rode route 60 (or maybe route61 cant remember) Along the Kanawha river from Charleston up and threw past Beckley WV and man you talk about nice ride... a little scary but nice ride... then up past new river bridge to Summersville lake... both Charleston and Beckley have lodging MOM and POP type around the Beckley / Summerville area.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: West Virginia