Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Zumo TPMS.....valve stems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 03:41 PM
shadowchrome
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Garmin Zumo TPMS.....valve stems?

My question is regarding the use of metal valve stems. I understand the issue with centrifugal force acting upon the valve stem and causing failure. My question is has anyone run them successfully on the cast 28 spoke wheels with the rubber stems? The limited amount of space between the spokes would seem to severely limit the ability for the stem to deflect very much.
I already have a set of metal stems which I will install the next time I need tires but I've still got a lot of life in my current set!

Old 03-10-2015, 03:49 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

My factory spoke wheels that came on my '11 RKC has TUBES with METAL STEMS. My Garmin TPMS connected to my Garmin 390LM have worked perfectly, with no issue. Manual states batteries last a year, and that is exactly right. I stocked up on 'em from Amazon.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:36 PM
koga
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not install them on rubber stems unless you like throwing money away. There is a reason the manufacturer states not to. I learned the hard way.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:54 PM
harleydude-fla
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by koga
Do not install them on rubber stems unless you like throwing money away. There is a reason the manufacturer states not to. I learned the hard way.

Me Too !!!!!

Old 03-10-2015, 09:58 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

There's a youtube video somewhere about this. There are three bikers and the guy in the middle while doing 70 on a sweeper lost control and the bike and he went skidding down the road. It was caught from the third biker who damn near hit the bike as it went sliding. About 5 minutes in to the video, you see them realize that it was an instant flat tire and the valve stem on the front wheel is gone. They surmise on video that his rubber valve stems like the one still on the rear wheel came out because of the centrifugal force with the added TPMS sensor. I think if you ride in a straight line all the time, no problem but the minute you add turns to the equation, you are asking for problems. The rider was eaten up pretty bad with road rash and had a broken wrist if I remember. He was more worried about is bike than his injuries.

I'm sure there will be lots of people that say they have been doing it for years and never had a problem. If it were me, I'd wait until you get the correct stems installed.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:14 AM
koga
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one on each tire on the bike with metal 90 degree stems.
I also have them on my triple axel trailer with rubber stems, that's where I had lost two. Driving straight down I-95, so I'd guess cornering or driving straight, not good. I have since gotten metal stems on all tires I use the sensors with.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:51 AM
shadowchrome
Cruiser

Following this sound advice, I went ahead and installed the metal valve stems. I wasn't due for tires yet but I wanted to inspect the wheel bearings anyway. I was able to install the new stems by breaking the bead loose on one side only and prying the tire down enough to gain access. I took the opportunity to install "Ride On" as well. Adding air is so much easier now and the monitoring system works great!

Old 08-02-2015, 09:22 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 313 Posts

I like those t stems! gotta be MUCH easier to fill.
I too learned the hard way. The Centrifugal force caused the rear stem to move enough to slam into the rear brake caliper and tore the stem in half. Instant flat at 60 mph. The TPMS was still there but banged up enough that it no longer worked.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:48 AM
shadowchrome
Cruiser

Originally Posted by elPrez
I like those t stems! gotta be MUCH easier to fill.
They really are. As great as it works on the back I'm not so sure it's any less helpful up front. Access to the front valve on those cast 28 spoke wheels is pretty tight with the dual discs!

Old 08-02-2015, 02:45 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Glad they are working out for you.
I really enjoy checking tire psi buzzing down the road.
Still, we must remain vigilant about physical tire inspections anyway!